• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
phrogs.jpg

Load Up
Two CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters prepare to take off after unloading 23 2nd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment Marines during a tactical recovery of aircraft and personnel exercise in the Combat Center training areas July 9, 2012. Marines with 2/25 are currently training at the Combat Center as part of Large Scale Exercise at Javelin Thrust 2012.
(U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Ali Azimi)

Phrog, is this your group?

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
SUNRISEFLIGHT.jpg

07/10/2012
SUNRISE FLIGHT
An MH-60S Sea Hawk helicopter approaches USNS Amelia Earhart at sunrise in the Pacific Ocean, July 8, 2012, after delivering supplies to the aircraft carrier USS George Washington during a vertical replenishment mission. U.S. Navy photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Cody R. Boyd

phrogpilot73

phrogs.jpg

Load Up
Two CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters prepare to take off after unloading 23 2nd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment Marines during a tactical recovery of aircraft and personnel exercise in the Combat Center training areas July 9, 2012. Marines with 2/25 are currently training at the Combat Center as part of Large Scale Exercise at Javelin Thrust 2012.
(U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Ali Azimi)

Phrog, is this your group?
Affirm. That's me in the lead pulling pitch. It was my Air Mission Commander check that day no less... We had three Phrogs, mixed section of skids, an RQ-7, a section of F/A-18Cs, and a KC-130T in the tanker track. All reservists. Good times.

Cool video. I would have gone with some Kenny Loggins though...
Yeah, I just wanted the video from our Flight E kid's iPhone. He decided to add the audio...

This was the rehearsal for the big TRAP mission that went three days later.

phrogpilot73

@phrog - just busting e-balls. is that what its called over the interwebs?
Sounds good to me! Although, you probably have to use SMS-type language. You're busting EBLLZ. LOL.

Seriously, I wasn't thrilled about the music, that's the kind of crap I had to listen to in every rental car I rode in from the airport to the hotel during the CCX to Yuma (because I let the aircrew choose the music). That's when I realized I was getting old.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And I will say that I've never landed in the wrong zone.

I've never landed in the wrong zone...but the zone the Army told me to land in was incorrect. At least I got to cause a food riot, so there's that. By the way, kids, dogs and one-armed old women don't care about rotor arcs. Just an FYI.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool looking airplane with a strange planform. Did it fly well?
Did it fly well? Good question. I don't know. I was a fresh-caught Ltjg with cottage cheese for a brain and little to compare it to, other than the T-2 or T-34.

But it was fun! A real combat aircraft that had served in Korea as the straight-winged Panther. With the Cougar's swept wings, it was supposed to be supersonic – or maybe just trans-sonic fighter.

It was underpowered with a centrifugal flow, rather than an axial flow or fan engine. Indeed, a Grumman 'Lead Sled'. But with knots, it was really maneuverable! It performed well, air-to-air and air-to-mud, low-level, around the boat, etc.

It had strange controls – "flaperons" and "flapperettes" rather than ailerons as I recall. In the event of a flame out, there was a T-handle you pulled to fire a shotgun shell in the engine to re-light. And if you lost hydraulics, the flight controls were actuated by compressed air, stored in many accumulators. (Didn't leave much room for excessive control movement)

One of our FAM flights was to see if we could get it supersonic. We would climb to 39,000 ft. or so – which took forever. Then we would go to Mil power (didn't have AB) and commence about a 40-degree dive. Some guys went above Mach 1, but I didn't on my hop, as did most. That was the whole entire, syllabus hop. (Tough to get an "above" or "below" on that hop.)

We once had a guy punch out at the 90 because of a flameout. The pilotless F-9 bellied into some flat, muddy ground. That same aircraft was flying 6 weeks later. Grumman Iron Works Aircraft!

So did it fly well? Good enough to train this old guy and give him some great flying fun. And his Wings of Gold!

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
But with knots, it was really maneuverable! It performed well low-level, around the boat, etc.

It had strange controls – "flaperons" and "flapperettes" rather than ailerons as I recall.

We would climb to 39,000 ft. or so – which took forever. Then we would go to Mil power (didn't have AB) and commence about a 40-degree dive. Some guys went above Mach 1, but I didn't on my hop, as did most. Grumman Iron Works Aircraft!

You just described the venerable EA-6B Prowler :)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It had strange controls – "flaperons" and "flapperettes" rather than ailerons as I recall. In the event of a flame out, there was a T-handle you pulled to fire a shotgun shell in the engine to re-light. And if you lost hydraulics, the flight controls were actuated by compressed air, stored in many accumulators. (Didn't leave much room for excessive control movement)

So did it fly well? Good enough to train this old guy and give him some great flying fun. And his Wings of Gold!

Great recall Cat! I also flew it in advanced in ATU-223 at NAAS Chase Field. Most of our flights were in F9F-8Bs (single seat). I also recall it was the first jet with a "flying tail" which is since, the norm.

I enjoyed flying the 'Cougar 8' as it led also to the WINGS!:)No:D
BzB

Status
Not open for further replies.