• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Geese at BOOST

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I flew with Dean Ardnt's son in primary. Great, great, great IP. It was kind of funny, because we were briefing an RI flight, and I mentioned that I went to NAPS, blah blah blah. He said, "Let me guess: All you remember is, 'Hippopotamus,' huh? Yeah, that's my dad." He gave me good grades, too.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Bubba,

You're right, I guess I just saw dean and thought Hippopotamus! I was NAPS c/o 2003 by the way, and I do remember alot more... It's just funny that the Hippo thing is like the tie that binds us NAPSters together now, lol. Now, compared to the female dean he was Mr. Rogers...

xmid

pilot
Contributor
And Spot,

Remind your classmates not to salute NAPS squad leaders, it makes for a wierd situation for everyone... Happened quite a bit to me. I had a Marine E-6 with a chest full of medals come up to me and say, "sir, can you tell me how to get to yadda yadda umptifratz." It took me a little while to comprehend that he was talking to me, then I helped him out and told him I was a just a 19 year old kid at NAPS. Felt cool for us, but probably a little embarassing on the other end.

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
A few guys were wondering that at first, but we haven't run into them too much. We just pass heading to the galley or in the exchange. I do have one question, why the hell do the NAPS guys walk in circles outside between the wings of the building from time to time? Is that punishment for something? (I would feel weird just walking up to one of them and asking what the hell they are doing. And with my luck, I'd be seen and asked "You want to join him huh? Well fall in!")

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Spot,

It's been a while since I was there, but we used to walk around between the wings to use our cell phones. We weren't allowed to use them in Nimitz and getting caught usually had a pretty stiff penalty. If they arent using the phone, then they may now march tours like they do at good ol' USNA. At USNA "tours" are usually marched with your rifle, but the new NAPS CO may have decided to institute his version of the "tour" at NAPS. You could definitely ask if you wanted to. Most non-prior NAPSters have a great deal of respect for the enlisted folks that live above them.

Spot

We (at least the BOOSTers) can use the phones all over our deck. I've seen a lot of NAPSters in the stairwell talking on the phone. But from my experience so far, the NAPSters haven't been a problem at all. I've received more b!tching from the NSI people going through because I threw my sheets and towels in the washing machine when it "wasn't our day" (which happened today and my stuff is still in the dryer). :p

Spot

fc2spyguy said:
Yeah, I had Hampl. I feel sorry for you :(

So far Hampl seems cool. The other group has the professor from Iran. I forgot her name though. From what I'm hearing, she is a little tougher than Hampl.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Spot said:
We (at least the BOOSTers) can use the phones all over our deck. I've seen a lot of NAPSters in the stairwell talking on the phone. But from my experience so far, the NAPSters haven't been a problem at all. I've received more b!tching from the NSI people going through because I threw my sheets and towels in the washing machine when it "wasn't our day" (which happened today and my stuff is still in the dryer). :p

A note about the washers and dryers:
Most NSI students have to wash PT gear and other things throughout the week. Each company only gets one day during the week with the washer/ dryer, and only a few hours on that day. There are roughly 30 people in a company and (if I remember) eight washers and dryers. Doesn't make for a happy day when both of your sweatsuits are covered in goose crap, you have homework to do, and some BOOSTer is doing wash when it isn't his day, thereby taking up at least one of the 8 machines you and your 30 shipmates have (at most) 6 hours to share. In NSI, we were hit on room inspections if our laundry bag had more than three days of laundry in it. Room inspections are nearly daily.
So, just out of courtesy, please be aware of this when you are planning on hijacking a washing machine on an NSI day. You don't get such rigid room inspections in BOOST as you will in NSI, and you're not limited to the amount of laundry you can store (as far as I know). It won't kill you to wait your turn. :icon_smil

Spot

Oh, I wouldn't have thrown my stuff in there was any thing else in there. But it was 2:00 and the place was deserted. And when I put my stuff in the dryer, it was still deserted. I just thought it was funny that they would gripe at me when I'm 5 minutes from pulling my stuff out of the dryer and it is the only thing in any of the 4 dryers.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
Are you saying the prior-service NAPSters didn't respect the BOOST/ NSI students?

Thats not what I'm saying, but the non-prior's are kind of in awe of the guys that have "been there done that." Alot of the priors at NAPS feel like they HAVE "been there done that." The priors feel like they are on level ground with BOOST guys and the non-priors tend to feel more like kids wearing a uniform. Hope that clears up what I am trying to say.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Oh yeah, Spot. That makes sense. If you're using the machines while you have a class break and you know the NSI OC's don't get out until 4, then as long as you know your stuff is coming out, I don't see a problem. I wouldn't make a case on principle rather than practicality. Rules are there for a reason, but if you're not actually interfering with anyone's laundry, go for it.
Not that you needed my permission.