• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Geese at BOOST

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
Ok. I arrived at Newport, RI for BOOST on the 18th of Feb and I must coment on the amount of goose poop every where. Do these feathered ferrys of poop migrate out of the area from season to season or are they here to stay?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Spot said:
Ok. I arrived at Newport, RI for BOOST on the 18th of Feb and I must coment on the amount of goose poop every where. Do these feathered ferrys of poop migrate out of the area from season to season or are they here to stay?
They are going nowhere fast. Sorry, they're here to stay. A little advice for you...when running around the base perimeter, stay away from the ones that have baby geese with them. I ran by one last summer and one of the bigger ones took to flight and attacked me. Bit me on my tricep....it was all black and blue for two weeks.

Av8or72Dan

I was there for 2 months over the summer of 04. Since it was pretty nice weather, they stayed. Be prepared to get crap stains on your PT clothes. :)

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Av8or72Dan said:
I was there for 2 months over the summer of 04. Since it was pretty nice weather, they stayed.
This implies that they leave when the weather gets nasty?

Country Boy

Proud Father
They're there through the winter too. The football field is usually fairly clean because the NAPS guys have to go shovel it clean routinely. Just watch out where you do your push-ups and sit-ups and watch for signs of staph infections, we had a couple guys wind up with them.

Spot

We got lucky and were able to do our pushups and situps indoors because it was 33degrees and the wind was blowing like crazy yesterday. But we did have to go out and run on the track. The entire class was hacking and coughing the entire day.
Did they have astroturf on Nimitz field when you guys went through?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
They migrate all over the base but that is as far as they go. Nobody shooting at them here.

They used to hang out on the lawn between the O'Club and the War College but the other day I saw them hanging out at the rotary. Then they moved back on base. At least we tend to slow down and let them cross the road. Can't say that for the majority of Rhodies.

Av8or72Dan

Spot said:
Did they have astroturf on Nimitz field when you guys went through?

Yes and those little black square rubber pieces get everywhere. Hint - Smack your shoes together before you go inside.

Spot

Then they've redone the track recently too. Because now it is a reddish orange color.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
I ran by one last summer and one of the bigger ones took to flight and attacked me. Bit me on my tricep....it was all black and blue for two weeks.
That is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time - I can just picture it. I'll bet the beast would have pulled a vein out of your neck, given the chance. I was attacked by a swan as a child, so I can relate. :D

Brett

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Spot said:

I was in Newport from 2000 to 2001 for NAPS... the only time you'll see a reduction in the number of geese is a day or two before Ney Hall serves their meatloaf thingy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BRM21o said:
Ah yes, Ney Hall...

"the only place where you can get meat served by a vegetable" - NAPS GYSGT
How do they come up with that stuff. :D

Brett

xmid

pilot
Contributor
We actually had a guy get crapped on by a goose on a bombing run while he was taking accountability after noon meal. The detailers thought it was awesome... sir, all present and SPLAT!! right in the face

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
That is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time - I can just picture it. I'll bet the beast would have pulled a vein out of your neck, given the chance. I was attacked by a swan as a child, so I can relate. :D

Brett
Yea, the fvcker waited till my back was to him before he made his move. And I had my mp3 player on, so I didn't even realize I was the attackee until it was too late.

Apparently, Sun Tzu even applies to geese.