• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The "fiscal cliff" and bonuses

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I have a CCC telling Sailors to reenlist now instead of calendar year 2013 because the fiscal cliff might take away reenlistment bonuses. I think this is bs because A) the fiscal year goes from Oct - Sep and B) I can't find anything on the net reporting that cuts to military bonuses or special pays are even on the table for the fiscal cliff debate.

Can anyone confirm or deny this before I tell him to stop spreading stupid rumors to get his numbers up?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guarantee your CCC doesn't have any valid inside information to base that statement on.

nukon

pilot
Echoed in a more recent article.. http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2012/12/ap-fiscal-cliff-worries-families-sequestration-121412/

Because President Obama has said the paychecks and housing benefits of the uniformed military would not be affected if the fiscal cliff talks fail and automatic cuts start, defense experts say the cuts will fall most heavily on civilian Pentagon employees and contractors. Reducing their numbers would directly affect active duty military and their families because those civilians provide much of the day-to-day staff for base services including hospitals, day care facilities, commissaries and even the guards who man many of the gates.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Fear mongering CCC. I really wish they wouldn't say things like that. It's unprofessional.

jty2007

Hello ladies and gents,

I am brand new to this forum, but have been lurking for a few days (reading for ASTB retake), and have a follow-on question that can hopefully be answered by any with perspective:

Fiscal cliff and accessions? Thoughts? I'm a prior Army O-3 going for 1 Feb SNA/NFO/SWO. My MBA studies and the news have primed me to "the sky is falling" with respect to sequestrations, etc. Are emergency cuts in selects likely or even precedented?

Thanks!!

Jim

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nobody knows the answer to that question. As posted above, personnel programs are supposedly off the table, but who knows exactly how that will be defined. Bottom line, you're powerless to control it if it did affect you, so I'd just proceed with your plan and roll with the punches.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Fiscal cliff and accessions? Thoughts? I'm a prior Army O-3 going for 1 Feb SNA/NFO/SWO. My MBA studies and the news have primed me to "the sky is falling" with respect to sequestrations, etc. Are emergency cuts in selects likely or even precedented?

I can't help you as far as "fiscal cliff" discussions go, hell I'm not even certain my ship will remain off the chopping block (Frigate Navy, baby!) if shit hits the fan. But out of curiosity, are you submitting an OCS package or a lat transfer request? I would assume that your commission would count the same in the Navy as it would in the Army, right?

BigRed389

None
I can't help you as far as "fiscal cliff" discussions go, hell I'm not even certain my ship will remain off the chopping block (Frigate Navy, baby!) if shit hits the fan. But out of curiosity, are you submitting an OCS package or a lat transfer request? I would assume that your commission would count the same in the Navy as it would in the Army, right?

I would bet it's OCS...coming in as a O-3 would be getting set up for failure in the long run unless there's some YG trickfuckery magic that can be done.