• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

snake020

Contributor
I got 20/20 at MEPS, but on the civilian eye doctor i got 20/16 which is heck alot better than MEPS

Just because MEPS says you're 20/20 doesn't mean you're not better than 20/20. I've been 20/15 & 20/12 every in-depth physical I've had, but when I did MEPS to get my foot in the precommissioning door because DODMERB was slow to process they only tested to 20/20. If they have a lot of people to process and don't need to go in depth they won't.

tmccarron

From what I have gathered, Lasik using intralase is approved? I am still trying to research for sure if this is the proper procedure for correcting vision in an acceptable way. My eyes will require correction that I plan on completing before the beginnings of attempts to enter an OCS program. Any insight in this matter would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
From what I have gathered, Lasik using intralase is approved? I am still trying to research for sure if this is the proper procedure for correcting vision in an acceptable way. My eyes will require correction that I plan on completing before the beginnings of attempts to enter an OCS program. Any insight in this matter would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

prk or lasek only right now- ilasik is being done in a navy study, but if you aren't accepted to the study, you cant get a waiver for it (what i understand)

tmccarron

Thank you for the response. If I may clarify, can you be specific about precisely what laser type and method of cornea separation is allowed per military spec for entrance into aviation, if you know such info (gouge?)? I have found it difficult to find resources on this topic. I have found one article from NMCSD but it does not give a completely conclusive answer. I am willing to spend absolute top dollar as joining OCS in pursuit of a career in Navy aviation is something that is burning a hole in me. I've been training physically to meet excellent PRT standards for some time; I have done strength training for years & as a result, endurance is somewhat new to me. Unfortunately, my eyesight is in much need of correction.

----

Just a follow up to my own question - I have left a message for the on duty doctor in opthamology at NMCSD and hopefully I will know shortly. I left my question up if case someone searches for the same line of thinking or same type of inquiry.

----

It seems like PRK is the only accepted vision correction surgery currently accepted at this time. However, it was implied that - hopefully - lasik using intralase will be allowed after completion of the study currently in progress (to be completed soon, apparently). I was unable to determine the following: assuming the study is successfully completed at a future date, if I got lasik with intralase tomorrow, will that technique done today make me elgible for aviation once it is officially allowed? Seems logical that it would be allowed... but I dont want to underestimate the power of bureaucracy & regulation.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank you for the response. If I may clarify, can you be specific about precisely what laser type and method of cornea separation is allowed per military spec for entrance into aviation, if you know such info (gouge?)? I have found it difficult to find resources on this topic. I have found one article from NMCSD but it does not give a completely conclusive answer. I am willing to spend absolute top dollar as joining OCS in pursuit of a career in Navy aviation is something that is burning a hole in me. I've been training physically to meet excellent PRT standards for some time; I have done strength training for years & as a result, endurance is somewhat new to me. Unfortunately, my eyesight is in much need of correction.

Here's the U.S Navy Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide
Revision Date: 13 March 2007:

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide Complete - 13 March 2007.pdf

Secion 12.15:
Definitions:

Corneal Refractive Surgery (CRS): A laser is used to reshape the anterior corneal surface reducing refractive error and reliance on spectacles or contact lenses. A “wavefront-guided” (WFG) or “custom” procedure uses wavefront analysis technology to perform the procedure.

Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK) or Surface Ablation or Advanced Surface Ablation (ASA): Laser energy is applied to the anterior corneal surface after the epithelium is temporarily displaced or removed. No corneal flap is created. PRK variants include LASEK (epithelium is preserved), and Epi-LASIK (epithelial flap is created).

Laser in-situ keratomileusis (LASIK): A corneal flap is created with a surgical blade or laser after which additional laser energy is applied to the exposed corneal tissue underneath the flap. The flap is then repositioned.

CAUTION:
Brand names, marketing strategies and technological advances often cause confusion regarding CRS terminology.

ALL FORMS OF CRS ARE DISQUALIFYING FOR AVIATION DUTY AT THE TIME OF THE SURGICAL PROCEDURE.
Designated members who undergo CRS shall be grounded at the time of surgery, but do not require submission of a grounding physical to NAMI Code 342. Designated members shall not return to duty involving flight until a LBFS recommends a waiver and issues an aeromedical clearance notice. Waiver standards and request procedures are given below. Initial waiver requests for history of CRS are single submission as long as the required visual standards for aviation duty continue to be met.

LASIK: Waiver shall not be recommended (WNR) for any applicant or designated aviation duty personnel in Classes I and II. Waiver may be recommended (WR) for CLASS III (Air traffic controllers and other personnel who do not fly).

ALL OTHER FORMS OF CRS or manipulation including RK (radial keratotomy), LTK (laser thermal keratoplasty), ICR (intracorneal ring) are PERMANENTLY DISQUALIFYING (CD, WNR) for all air warfare duty Classes I, II and III. Orthokeratology is NCD provided that it is discontinued and all appropriate refractive standards are met with stable topography.

Bottom line: PRK is acceptable, others are not. Straight from the source.

-ea6bflyr ;)

sbfighter

If you are not 20/20, then they will probably dialate your eyes, to verify you actual "un-strained" eyesight. Bring your glasses just in case ...

??!?!?! I can refocus my eyes to see nearly 20/20, if I lose the ability to strain them to see... I can't see shit.. You need to have 20/40 or better uncorrected AND unstrained?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
??!?!?! I can refocus my eyes to see nearly 20/20, if I lose the ability to strain them to see... I can't see shit.. You need to have 20/40 or better uncorrected AND unstrained?

Strained is a bad term. The test they perform is called the "Cycloplegic refraction" test. All they do is paralyze your ciliary muscle with some drops in your eyes and do a regular eye test in which you can't focus using your ciliary muscles. This is your true, "unstrained" vision. (FTR, you only "focus" your eyes to see close objects. Completely unfocused eyes are for distance vision). The test is straight forward but you won't be able to focus on objects within a few feet of you for a couple hours.

I also believe that the 20/40 requirement is the manifest refraction, NOT the cycloplegic refractive error. I'd verify this by checking NAMI, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

sbfighter

Great, thanks for the tip... scared me.

picture.php

flytojungho

quick question about flight physical eye (depth perception) check at OCS

hey guys,,, first post here.
I was wondering what kind of eye checking equipment(including depth perception) they use for flight physical at OCS.
Do they use the same machine that they use at MEPS or do they use some other method? thanks.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
hey guys,,, first post here.
I was wondering what kind of eye checking equipment(including depth perception) they use for flight physical at OCS.
Do they use the same machine that they use at MEPS or do they use some other method? thanks.

They used the MEPS-type machine when OCS was in pcola (ie: at NAMI). And they used it for my annual in Corpus Christi.

submarinerssbn

is that the one with the stupid circles that is so old that it can be a little difficult to tell which one is actually in front of the other? i have done one that they hold up in front of you in Jacksonville fl, and the circles in whidbey island at both of those flight physicals.

flytojungho

I am just asking because the one that they used at MEPS was VERY difficult to tell some if some of the circles were in fact in front of one another. When I went to the civilian doctor, they used 3D glasses with pictures and I passed NO problem.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I had a lot of trouble at MEPS with the machine and had little to no problem on the 2 subsequent visits during OCS and my annual. Try getting a LOT of sleep, HYDRATING the fvck out of yourself and not doing a lot of reading or straining of your eyes the day before the exam. It will make all the difference.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I am just asking because the one that they used at MEPS was VERY difficult to tell some if some of the circles were in fact in front of one another.

Don't feel too bad. I hate that test. Every year it's the same story. Usually the first couple rows are pretty easy. After that I get this:

Tech: Just say which circle looks closest.
Me: ...umm....B?
Tech: Take another good look and try again.
Me: (after about 30 seconds of trying to cross my eyes and finally cursing the name of the d-bag who invented the test)...umm...C?
Tech: Try one more time.
Me: ...umm...Did I already guess B?

The point is that for the most part I think that the people who administer that test are already aware of its shortcomings. Maybe somebody has information that I don't have, but FWIW I've never seen anyone fail the flight physical based solely on that test.