• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The End of the Officers Club

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Master, I'll see if we can get a crew for the Kat. If so, I'll ride the beast. If you come down to do it I may even get Red to ride it!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe this is part of the problem: I commissioned out of OCS, and they never told us anything about O-Club protocol. I'd be willing to bet a whole ton of us fresh butter-bars don't go just because they don't know how to act - DO'S and DON'Ts.
That is intentional. You Enswines show up and break all the rules, lose at games, and the rest drink for free!!! You'll learn fast.

At a P-cola winging back in the day someone put a women's cover on my head. Not my cover, not my doing, but the bell rang. I wasn't sea lawyer enough as an Ensign to argue my case effectively. It cost me a pretty penny.

Malice 1

pilot
A lot of it also has to do with the ridiculous overboard 0 tolerance alcohol policies on base these days. It's gotten to the point where if you get stopped by base police walking home drunk and they write a report with your name and alcohol together, you're screwed.

People just don't see the point in risking drinking on base when they can go out in town and drink and not have to worry about it at all. (I'm not talking about dudes who go get blackout drunk in town and get belligerent. Those guys have a lot to worry about. I'm talking about responsible, albeit heavy, drinking). Anything that is officially recorded with your name and alcohol in the report is an "alcohol incident", even if it's walking home drunk, pulled over after having ONE beer 45 minutes ago, or some dude punches you in the face because he thought you were looking at his girl and you were drinking quietly with your friends in a bar.

ALL those circumstances end up being "your fault" because of Navy policy.

This is my biggest gripe. I tried "bringing back the o club" with a few of my 1stLT buddies when I got here, but it fizzled out. Everyone got wind of PMO busting people and ruining thier careers if they blew a 0.01 BAC.

I'm not gonna put up PMO's BS. My buddies have all but taken over a local civ establishment on friday nights. Alcohol is like heroin according USMC leadership these days.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Thanks. Uniform rules? I just classed up (3609), so I'm not far behind. Thinking of coming tonight if I can bring the lady friend.

Dude I remember being a scared little ENS out of OCS, but surely you and your buddies need to sack up, head to the O club and be willing to buy a couple rounds if you "screw up". It's not a big deal. It's FUN. Shouldn't have to convince you.

Shit, you're gonna screw up a LOT more when you stand SDO and you don't have a fvcking clue, and that doesn't involve drinking. Just GO. Forget the what ifs, and JUST GO.

There isn't a binder of rules. Just throw the bag on (or if no bag yet, khakis), or worst case CIVIES and just go. Don't walk in covered, don't put your cover on the bar, don't go behind the bar and that's about it. Those are the biggies. The rest is minutiae.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone ever bring their spouses?
The way it USED to work when the O'Clubs were king .... let's say Friday night:

The guys -- married and single guys who were NOT going on a X-Country (no women in the 'Rons at that time) would repair to the Club after work for Happy Hour at @ 1600 or so -- mebbe have an AOM @ 1530 at the club first to get the ball rolling .... and then @ 1730-1800, the wives would start arriving ... having put little Billy and Susie under the care of the baby-sitter ... and RDVS w/ hubby for dinner and/or band/music/dancing and/or more drinking/semi-partying/Klondike/other dice ... :)

By 2100 or so ... the band & the O'Club would be rockin' and there would be 100-300 people there -- depending upon how many 'Rons were in town -- everyone talkin' ... drinkin' .... dancin' .... bonding ... and having a GOOD time.

By 0001 .... it was down to @ 20-50 hard core .... by last call @ 0145 it was @ 10-15 guys ....

No Shore Patrol parked outside, looking for another notch on their speed-guns .... really .... no significant problems, regardless of what the revisionists might tell you.

Virtually NO tickets ... traffic accidents ... traffic deaths ... certainly NO more than there are now ... I didn't say 'none' ... just virtually 'no'. :)

I'm only speaking to the Officer side of the house -- but that's the way it was ... and it worked. And we got to let our hair down and got to 'know' one another -- another side, besides 'work'.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There isn't a binder of rules.

Yes there is! It can be found behind every bar on the far left side. Just go around behind the bar and look for it. You have a right to review it.

And keep in mind there are certain house rules in some clubs that you won't know about until you are buying a round. In the NASNI I Bar, you don't touch the model planes. Like OTTO said, you can't worry about it. Everyone is busted a time or two.