• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

exNavyOffRec

I have a question regarding a traumatic pneumothorax. My recruiting office received a letter stating "3. Note: The applicant has history of LASIX which will require entry into NOMI LASIX program and subsequently he does not meet requirements for 13900 program due to history of a traumatic pneumothorax."
A little bit of background for my situation, I had collapsed lung in 2009 but I have made a full recovery with zero complications. For my flight physical, I submitted a recent chest x-ray (Dec 2012), multiple pulmonary function tests, and included my PRT results since the accident (all outstanding low). How could this be Clinically disqualifying? The NAMI aeromedical waiver guidelines state the condition is CD if it occurred within the previous 12 months and at that point a waiver is possible.

Is their any sort of repeal process I can utilize?
thanks in advance

Did the collapsed lung occur on active duty? and if so are you in the reserves? and are you inside your 8 year MSO, and was your DD214 submitted to N3M along with your physical?

BleedGreen

pilot
Did the collapsed lung occur on active duty? and if so are you in the reserves? and are you inside your 8 year MSO, and was your DD214 submitted to N3M along with your physical?

The collapsed lung did not occur on Active Duty and yes I am still in the Reserves with 1.5 years left of my MSO. I am assuming a DD214 was not submitted with my 2808, 2807, and supporting medical documenation, however I will ask my OR tomorrow.

exNavyOffRec

The collapsed lung did not occur on Active Duty and yes I am still in the Reserves with 1.5 years left of my MSO. I am assuming a DD214 was not submitted with my 2808, 2807, and supporting medical documenation, however I will ask my OR tomorrow.

A few possibilities here.
1) because it did not occur on AD or while not in a drilling status they could just so "no".
2) it may not matter that it didn't occur on AD, this may be one of those things that is just going to DQ you from flight programs.

I had an applicant that had a collapsed lung two different times about 2 years apart, the last time was was 6 years prior to submission, N3M NPQ'd him.

BleedGreen

pilot
A few possibilities here.
1) because it did not occur on AD or while not in a drilling status they could just so "no".
2) it may not matter that it didn't occur on AD, this may be one of those things that is just going to DQ you from flight programs.

I had an applicant that had a collapsed lung two different times about 2 years apart, the last time was was 6 years prior to submission, N3M NPQ'd him.

Is there anyway to resubmit my physical, say for the July board in hopes of getting PQlater?
The other option the recruiter gave me was to submit for NFO and "possibly" switching at some point in the training pipeline but I know that is never certain.

exNavyOffRec

Is there anyway to resubmit my physical, say for the July board in hopes of getting PQlater?
The other option the recruiter gave me was to submit for NFO and "possibly" switching at some point in the training pipeline but I know that is never certain.

If they said "no go" for SNA they will say "no go" for SNFO as the physical requirements are the same, the funny thing about N3M is they only address the designators that are submitted for on the N3M sheet. Here is an example, I had a person pro Y for SWO and Supply, well the N3M sheet only said SWO (11600) and he had a condition that NPQ him for SWO, so the letter came back saying NPQ for URL, I asked what about Staff, response was no one asked about Staff so it wasn't addressed.

BleedGreen

pilot
If they said "no go" for SNA they will say "no go" for SNFO as the physical requirements are the same, the funny thing about N3M is they only address the designators that are submitted for on the N3M sheet. Here is an example, I had a person pro Y for SWO and Supply, well the N3M sheet only said SWO (11600) and he had a condition that NPQ him for SWO, so the letter came back saying NPQ for URL, I asked what about Staff, response was no one asked about Staff so it wasn't addressed.

Wow that's frustrating...
My doctor also submitted my physical to NAMI through AERO. If NAMI comes back with a different answer then N3M, can I resubmit for the July board potentially?

exNavyOffRec

Wow that's frustrating...
My doctor also submitted my physical to NAMI through AERO. If NAMI comes back with a different answer then N3M, can I resubmit for the July board potentially?

It sounds from what you rec'd back that it already went to NAMI since normally N3M is what gives the OK for entry into the USN and NAMI aviations, so a PQ letter will say something like, member PQ for URL, N3M defers to NAMI for entry into aviation programs, so either they sent it to NAMI because of the issue or they consulted with them prior to sending the letter back.

BleedGreen

pilot
It sounds from what you rec'd back that it already went to NAMI since normally N3M is what gives the OK for entry into the USN and NAMI aviations, so a PQ letter will say something like, member PQ for URL, N3M defers to NAMI for entry into aviation programs, so either they sent it to NAMI because of the issue or they consulted with them prior to sending the letter back.

The other part that is still unclear to me is the letter recommended me for the LASIK in Naval Aviator Study but then says right after that I am DQ'd from 13900 history of a traumatic pneumothorax.
Wouldn't they just outright say your DQ'd? why mention I am eligible for the other waiver?

exNavyOffRec

The other part that is still unclear to me is the letter recommended me for the LASIK in Naval Aviator Study but then says right after that I am DQ'd from 13900 history of a traumatic pneumothorax.
Wouldn't they just outright say your DQ'd? why mention I am eligible for the other waiver?

Oddly enough it is how things work at N3M, they address both issue individually

infowarstudent

That should give plenty of time for your appointments and results to N3M, understand if they find you have any of those conditions be prepared to be discharged.

Just thought I would give an update: As of today I have been administratively discharged. I should be getting my discharge papers in the mail in the coming weeks. Re enlistment code (can't recall what he said) states I can never re enlist.

alaurin

All day, every day!
How long is the wait time for getting to MEPs? I sent in my documents about three weeks about (quite a stack) and still haven't heard back.

My laundry list is pretty long- healed stress fracture in right foot, arthroscopic surgery to fix torn meniscus in right knee, treated 5 years prior for mild depression and insomnia (no ADHD, no depressive disorder and two Dr. notes to this effect), PRK surgery waiver. Kinda figured I might see some progress after 3 wks.

exNavyOffRec

How long is the wait time for getting to MEPs? I sent in my documents about three weeks about (quite a stack) and still haven't heard back.

My laundry list is pretty long- healed stress fracture in right foot, arthroscopic surgery to fix torn meniscus in right knee, treated 5 years prior for mild depression and insomnia (no ADHD, no depressive disorder and two Dr. notes to this effect), PRK surgery waiver. Kinda figured I might see some progress after 3 wks.

That is an excessive time, the question is when were they actually sent to MEPS? by USMEPCOM instruction they are supposed to give response within 72 hours, now I have seen them kick back documents for several reasons, with large amounts of documents the one I have seen most is they say "have applicant provide a narrative in chronological order of all injuries and circumstances surround the injury"

alaurin

All day, every day!
Thanks for the quick reply.

We sent them in on Jan 31st. Apparently we (recruiter and I) forgot to sign some portion the 680 and they kicked that back to us on the on the 13th, but everything else was cleared. I also sent another copy of my stress fracture note since the tiny note I gave him probably hid itself somewhere in my trunk en route to his office. Recruiter probably submitted paperwork back to MEPs on 14th or 15th. Everything was in the narrative section of form 2807 with dates and names, listed by number corresponding to the order of the checkboxes in form 2807.

USAF_WX2USN

Mine was over a month from the time everything got turned in. More so due to recruiter issues....It's also been over a month since my stuff was submitted to Navy for me to get my waiver approved