• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

edt957

Pro-rec SNA
Question for the Doc (or anyone else who can answer):
I had a flight physical by NOMI about a year ago when I was a applying for Marine OCS and had to get a waiver for childhood asthma, which required a Pulmonary Function Test. I passed my physical, but never got selected for their OCS. I'm with the Navy now and going to OCS Dec 2nd. I realize I will have to go thought the physical again, but my question is if I will have to go through the PFT again, despite the fact I already received a waiver?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Depends on the doc who reviews your record.
Question for the Doc (or anyone else who can answer):
I had a flight physical by NOMI about a year ago when I was a applying for Marine OCS and had to get a waiver for childhood asthma, which required a Pulmonary Function Test. I passed my physical, but never got selected for their OCS. I'm with the Navy now and going to OCS Dec 2nd. I realize I will have to go thought the physical again, but my question is if I will have to go through the PFT again, despite the fact I already received a waiver?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Another question for a doc:

Hi, I am a pro-rec SNA/NFO from the April board and also failed the MEPS depth perception. I recently visited my civilian optometrist and was given the stereofly test, of which I passed with 9/9 on the dot test, which they told me met the 40 seconds of arc minimum required by NAMI waiver guide. However, my OR sent the results to NRC and called me today claiming they said I was still NPQ'd for SNA based solely on depth perception, and would not consider any alternative tests as I was permanently disqualified. From what I've been reading on these forums, several applicants have had this same issue, received further testing from specialized eye doctors, and been given the green light for OCS under a SNA billet. I was curious as to why I would be disqualified after re-testing with a perfect score, and if anyone had any insight towards this issue. My technical exam stats are as follows: Right eye: SPH -0.50 CYL -0.25 Left eye: SPH pl CYL -0.25. Dva in both eyes is 20/20 uncorrected. Thanks in advance, it is much appreciated.
Similar question, although I haven't seen the civilian eye doc yet (also haven't been pro-rec'd yet; applying in June 2013 for the upcoming July board). Haven't gotten too much guidance on whether or not I'll be PQ'ed with a civilian depth perception test, or what would happen when I take the five-circles test again at OCS. Only got "Pass B" at MEPS as opposed to D, but in my defense, I was running on less than half an hour of sleep (LONG story). Feel free to respond in PM if you prefer, any help is appreciated.

infowarstudent

This is a cross post from Navy OCS, as it was suggested to post my questions here

I'm scheduled to go to OCS on January 6th, and currently dealing with depression. I also believe I have undiagnosed ADHD-PI (ADD). I have an appointment with a therapist on December 26th for the depression, and testing this Thursday for the ADD.

If I am diagnosed with either, how will they affect my ability to stay in the Navy to go to OCS? Also, if the doctors would suggest using medicine to treat these disorders, what are the standards/regulations regarding those?

Thanks.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
This is a cross post from Navy OCS, as it was suggested to post my questions here

I'm scheduled to go to OCS on January 6th, and currently dealing with depression. I also believe I have undiagnosed ADHD-PI (ADD). I have an appointment with a therapist on December 26th for the depression, and testing this Thursday for the ADD.

If I am diagnosed with either, how will they affect my ability to stay in the Navy to go to OCS? Also, if the doctors would suggest using medicine to treat these disorders, what are the standards/regulations regarding those?

Thanks.
Are you speaking of only OCS or OCS and aviation?

exNavyOffRec

Thanks.

You need to tell your OR, if you tell him what you have told us they WILL pull your orders for OCS, the reason is even if the appointments find no issues there will be not enough time to get the medical documents submitted and screened by N3M to clear you prior to Jan 6th.

FYI once you walk into the docs office on Thursday and have your appointment you will be TNPQ (temp not phys qualified) until the documents are reviewed.

If you are BDCP which I think in another post you mentioned you are then you signed a acknowledgement that requires you to notify your OR of ANY status changes.

infowarstudent

You need to tell your OR, if you tell him what you have told us they WILL pull your orders for OCS, the reason is even if the appointments find no issues there will be not enough time to get the medical documents submitted and screened by N3M to clear you prior to Jan 6th.

FYI once you walk into the docs office on Thursday and have your appointment you will be TNPQ (temp not phys qualified) until the documents are reviewed.

If you are BDCP which I think in another post you mentioned you are then you signed a acknowledgement that requires you to notify your OR of ANY status changes.

I managed to get a hold of my OR on Tuesday and explained to him what is going on. He asked some standard questions about it (does your family know, do you have someone to talk to about it, how long, do you know why... etc). I asked a question about OSC and if it will affect my date, but as of now he doesn't know how it will and doesn't want to speculate.

exNavyOffRec

I managed to get a hold of my OR on Tuesday and explained to him what is going on. He asked some standard questions about it (does your family know, do you have someone to talk to about it, how long, do you know why... etc). I asked a question about OSC and if it will affect my date, but as of now he doesn't know how it will and doesn't want to speculate.

Having been through this with others about to go to OCS, it will affect the date, the worse it will be the closer it gets, and you will have to divilge that you saw a doc, even if the diagnosis is ok, and then they will ask why documents weren't submitted.

infowarstudent

Having been through this with others about to go to OCS, it will affect the date, the worse it will be the closer it gets, and you will have to divilge that you saw a doc, even if the diagnosis is ok, and then they will ask why documents weren't submitted.
Orders were changed to February 17th, hopefully it will help.

joe dirt

pilot
Over the past few months I've had what feel like heart cramps pop up from time to time. They rarely last more than a few seconds, but once in a while they will last 5-10 minutes. They are not so uncomfortable that I'm unable to carry on a minor conversation, more of a nuisance. Should I be worried about a heart attack at 30? I do get heartburn from spicy foods, could my "heart cramps," be related to that?
Thanks

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Over the past few months I've had what feel like heart cramps pop up from time to time. They rarely last more than a few seconds, but once in a while they will last 5-10 minutes. They are not so uncomfortable that I'm unable to carry on a minor conversation, more of a nuisance. Should I be worried about a heart attack at 30? I do get heartburn from spicy foods, could my "heart cramps," be related to that?
Thanks

Yes, those cramps could be spasms of your esophagus. Get yourself checked out. Could be GERD.

Pmurphy21

OCS candidate for spring/summer 2013
I have been accepted into the Navy for NFO. Gotten thru MEPS and just got a few questions back that I had to go to the doctor about. I have dextroscoliosis of the thoracic spine. The doctor said that it was very minor. Does anyone know if that is something that could stop me from passing my medical eval?

BleedGreen

pilot
I have a question regarding a traumatic pneumothorax. My recruiting office received a letter stating "3. Note: The applicant has history of LASIX which will require entry into NOMI LASIX program and subsequently he does not meet requirements for 13900 program due to history of a traumatic pneumothorax."
A little bit of background for my situation, I had collapsed lung in 2009 but I have made a full recovery with zero complications. For my flight physical, I submitted a recent chest x-ray (Dec 2012), multiple pulmonary function tests, and included my PRT results since the accident (all outstanding low). How could this be Clinically disqualifying? The NAMI aeromedical waiver guidelines state the condition is CD if it occurred within the previous 12 months and at that point a waiver is possible.

Is their any sort of repeal process I can utilize?
thanks in advance