• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The DEBATE: Round 2

WHO "WON"???

• John Sidney McCain III

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Barack Hussein Obama

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • There is no DRAW ... make a choice for God's sake!!

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Well, clearly the debate was pretty boring if we're arguing over how Obama is pronouncing foreign names.:icon_wink

And besides, compared to Matthews and Olberman, is this really much more inane?

I must shamefully admit that I recorded the debate and watched it. Unfortunately, it was nearly identical to the first and thus a complete waste of time.

I thought Obama won the first debate.

Tonight there was no winner; there was no draw; they both lost - and so did every American that wasted precious time and digital storage space.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Others have said it, but I'll echo my disappointment in the questions in the debate. We might as well just given them the time and said "Ok, give us your talking points and canned speeches that we've already heard ad nauseum. Ready? Go."

I am of the belief that Senator McCain really needed to get after Senator Obama about his character. This didn't happen, and since Sen. McCain is behind...I've got to vote for a draw. We all know the talking points - the only bombshell we got was the middle-class mortgage bailout plan that Sen. McCain proposed, which I think isn't really the greatest idea.

Let me get this straight, though -

Double the Peace Corps, pull out of Iraq, put in to Afghanistan, and attack Pockeestawn? Also, did anyone catch how defensive he was of Iran when he talked about foreign energy? He mentioned Russia, Venezuala, and sometimes Iran.

MasterBates

This is AMERICA Jack! Pronounce things AMERICAN. When in Rome do as the Romans do.

When in America, do as Americans do, not try to be the effete "culturally sensitive" metrosexual.

Guess how Latvia is spelled in Latvia? (hint, NOT Latvia) When referring to Latvia here, I pronounce it normally (by American standards).

When in Latvia, I speak it and spell it like a native. Easy, makes people both places understand you, and you don't come across as "look how cultured I am you cretin" snob.

Oh, and while Senator McCain did not blow Senator Obama out of the water, he did well and won IMHO. Senator Obama spent too much time stuttering. I think he was typical lawyer in this one. Does well when he is making an "Argument" or knows more or less exactly what the question is going to be. Senator McCain showed more of the "Navy Style" think on your feet, a 80% answer NOW is better than a 95% answer in 10 minutes type of thought process.

If it was football, 31-24 McCain.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Hey, talk how you want. People have accents and if pronouncing something one way or another is more comfortable, so be it. That being said, I really like McCain's closing comments. I thought they were poignant and brought everything together.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Well, how is he supposed to go after his character in this format? "We should invest in energy....and speaking of which, Obama was in cahoots with a terrorist named Ayers."

He got the dig in with Fannie Mae lobbying of Obama, but there isn't much opportunity to really go after character without going on a huge tangent.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Well, how is he supposed to go after his character in this format? "We should invest in energy....and speaking of which, Obama was in cahoots with a terrorist named Ayers."

He got the dig in with Fannie Mae lobbying of Obama, but there isn't much opportunity to really go after character without going on a huge tangent.

With the circular rhetoric we all just witnessed from both Senators, I'm sure we can agree he could find a way. ;)

Again, I guess that could be attributed to Brokaw picking the same damn questions we've heard until blue in the face.

Fred

Uh, pronouncing "Istanbul" correctly vice saying "Istammmboulll" is not showing off. I've spent the majority of my life living overseas, I've learned a few things about not being the ugly American over the years and this is one of those tiny little nuances that people appreciate. Sorry if it offends your senses.

Would you like a cookie? :snooty_12

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So I missed the entire debate and was hoping to get a gist on here. Instead all I got is that two guys were apparently talking about stuff tonight and people pronounce things really fucked up.

Airwarriors never fails to impress. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.