• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Crisis in Naval Aviation

MasterBates

Here is my take on it from an HSL standpoint..

The admin type nit-nat was KING.

Taking care of tasking was # 2.

Taking care of troops was a close 3rd

Becoming a better pilot and tactician was a DISTANT 4th.

Great paper pushers with no tactical skills, and mediocre pilot skills go far in HSL. Not that admin stuff is not needed, but I think they have their priorities a tad messed up.

Just my opinion. The tactial thing is slowly coming up, but 2 of the 3 COs I had, lets just say I don't want them as my 2P on a dark and stormy night, low on fuel trying to get aboard when Pitch and Roll are out of limits...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Here is my take on it from an HSL standpoint..

The admin type nit-nat was KING.

Taking care of tasking was # 2.

Taking care of troops was a close 3rd

Becoming a better pilot and tactician was a DISTANT 4th.

Great paper pushers with no tactical skills, and mediocre pilot skills go far in HSL. Not that admin stuff is not needed, but I think they have their priorities a tad messed up.

Just my opinion. The tactial thing is slowly coming up, but 2 of the 3 COs I had, lets just say I don't want them as my 2P on a dark and stormy night, low on fuel trying to get aboard when Pitch and Roll are out of limits...

I understand your sentiment and while I may not place the four things in the same order, agree to an extent w/ the idea of your post. Just for perspective, though, know that not all HSL squadrons are the same. For my squadron, tactics were up towards the front and between -51 and us, we seemed to be ahead of the pack.

Of course, that's like saying little Timmy is the best T-baller in the league. In the end, it's still T-ball.

hscs

pilot
Employment definitely has something to do with it -- if performance was determined by the number of ships you shot up, subs you sank, or sh-theads you rolled up -- the pecking order might be different in most helo squadrons.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agreed. Unfortunately, that does bupkiss until the higher ups start to actually employ us.

You have to admit that it's difficult to prioritize a tactical scheme which is largely based on an essentially defunct ASW target set. I know LAMPS has other mission areas, but they haven't been quite as effective at broadening their tactical purview as their VP brethren since the end of the Cold War.

Brett

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
You have to admit that it's difficult to prioritize a tactical scheme which is largely based on an essentially defunct ASW target set. I know LAMPS has other mission areas, but they haven't been quite as effective at broadening their tactical purview as their VP brethren since the end of the Cold War.

Brett

That's going to start changing. Our ASW skillz are going to start meaning something in the next few years.

hscs

pilot
I have been out of the ASW game for a while -- but as a bystander, I haven't seen much happen with the creation of the flag level ASW command. I hope that is just because I have been away from the mission.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's going to start changing. Our ASW skillz are going to start meaning something in the next few years.

That's what they've been saying for the last 16 years - I hope it's true.

Brett

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
While you will see a significant increase in ASW capabilities with the Romeo, the downside is that you should expect commanders to be interested in you almost exclusively as a sensor platform. For HS guys who want to be tactical I am afraid going to the R would be quite a disappointment.

I know that what the HSC guys are aiming for tactically is a quantum leap beyond what I was doing on my first tour (the tactical training for the first NVD VBSS practice that we gave the SEALs a ride for consisted of my XO telling us "Don't get anybody killed") but the fact remains that commanders still do not desire to use them that way.

hscs

pilot
part of the HSC issue is the lack of equipment

The other part is that is that HSC is still not taking the syllabus as serious as it could be, and the weapons schools are letting the squadrons get away with it. Simulating fastropes and doing a fastrope with guys on the rope are two different things -- and so is taking part in a combined arms SOF or CSAR event is far different than someone simulating the comms.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Totally agree on the training issues you mention - simulation is not the same - but even when fixed I am not positive that the mindsets of commanders will change. To a certain extent, it seems a lot of senior folks look at those capabilities and seem to be thinking "that's great, but it isn't what we bought you for".

The equipment is coming; I've seen most of it (if not always all at the same time).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Brett

I know of several personal accounts of buds who were in the Gulf, FLIR locked up, day after day prior to OIF. Once OIF commenced, those same targets were either tasked to someone else or while the target was locked up, the kill order was rescinded. I truly feel that the problem, at least back then, was the willingness of the higher ups (and I'm talking CSG star or higher...and for two of the cases, I know the star was fully up on LAMPS as his son was out there flying them) to give the tasking. It seemed to be a theatre specific thing.

The irony is the "other" plans for other parts of the world and how useful LAMPS is supposed to be, but of course, we've been down this road before and it always ends up the same...SIPR.