• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Citadel-good NROTC program??

Piperpilot2004

was wondering if anyone went to this school?? Did you like it? Hows the NROTC program, and is it a good place to go if I want to get into Naval Aviation or should i stick to Embry-Riddle?? I do not have the grades for the academy at the moment.

http://www.citadel.edu/

matt6599

BDCP SNA 2007
I thought about going to the citadel. Have you gone to your pre-knob yet? I liked it when I went to pre-knob but I did not get my scholarship and could not afford the school. They seemed to have a very good NROTC program. The Citadel will give you a lot more military type training than Embry Riddle. My advice would be to go on a pre-knob visit and then decide if the Citadel is the right place for you. PM me if you have anymore questions about the Citadel.

defiant85

None
I was with two Citadel Mids on cruise and both felt like they had made mistakes in attending the school.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
If you are looking at the Citadel, you should consider VMI. I actually turned down the Academy and several other schools once I looked into VMI. I am definately glad I went there.

www.vmi.edu

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Piperpilot2004 said:
was wondering if anyone went to this school?? Did you like it? Hows the NROTC program, and is it a good place to go if I want to get into Naval Aviation or should i stick to Embry-Riddle?? I do not have the grades for the academy at the moment.

http://www.citadel.edu/

Your choice of school is not a factor in getting selected as an SNA....doing well academically (wherever you go) is the important thing. There are guys/girls from Podunk State University (if you know what I mean) that get selected as pilots every year, just like there are people who get pilot slots from the academy/citadel/USMMA/etc. Don't choose a school because you think it will get you into flight school....go to the school that you like, and study what interests you. That said, I know nothing about the Citadel and I really have no specific advice on either school you mentioned.

Piperpilot2004

alright thanks..ill have to look more into the schools. I hear VMI isnt all that bad so its a possibility i guess. thanks guys.

Country Boy

Proud Father
RetreadRand said:
VMI and The Citadel are pretty much the same...except VMI is in the middle of nowhere, and El CId is in Charlestown, SC. Although I read somewhere that VMI alumni make more money per graduate than any other school...don't know how true that is
Although Charleston isn't all that great either (after about a year it starts to get old) The beaches are pretty nice though and the college girls aren't bad. The public doesn't like uniforms down there for some reason. I know a couple of guys who went there and they only chose it because that is where their families were. Apparently the Citadel is not the same school it used to be. There have been a few stories in the local papers there recently about how they are having trouble getting funding to build new buildings that are desperately needed (such as new barracks).

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
i remember there was a huge deal about the first girl attending the citadel... did she make it?

Country Boy

Proud Father
RetreadRand said:
Actually they just finished an 8 year barracks rebuilding project...When I say rebuild I mean they completely tore down every barracks and built new ones. The funding issue is for the new football stadium
I stand corrected

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
VMI and The Citadel are pretty much the same...except VMI is in the middle of nowhere, and El CId is in Charlestown, SC. Although I read somewhere that VMI alumni make more money per graduate than any other school...don't know how true that is

Shouldn't that be CharlesTON, SC? Charlestown is in Massachusetts.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
yeah. I fat fingered my keyboard...SOOOORRRRRYYYYY ...What the Hell is boost mobile? I live in Europe and I have been trying to figure that out???

Boost Mobile is a "Urban" (read: ghetto) cellphone company. Their slogan is "Where You At?" and in all their commercials, everyone talks ghetto-ese. It's ridiculous. It promotes the decline of the English language and of society. It makes me mad.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
oh

You must always remember that language is and has always been a constantly changing tool...it has changed several times jusy in this century...kids don't talk like they did in the 20s, and in the 60s too. It used to be considered uncouth to say "like" but it has been used so often that it is now accepted...the word irregardless was not a word until Webster added it to his dictionary last year because people used it all the time...that "word" is a pet peeve of man....what were we talking about?

No, saying "like" as a place holder is not acceptable. It is the same as saying "um" all the time. I would hammer someone if they constantly used it in a presentation. Accepting it is accepting laziness and poor speech. Saying "Where You At?" is not changing language, it's uneducated.

hijacklive.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
yes, like is now accepted. As for the "Where you At?" you are right, it is appalling to end a sentence in a preposition. What are we becoming.

Just because society is accepting a lazy speech pattern, doesn't mean you have to. Demand correct speech patterns, if anything to help people stop sounding like idiots. Saying "Like, I went to the mall, and like I saw this great jacket, and like I wanted to buy it" is ridiculous.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
RetreadRand said:
Embry will teach you aero, but it won't teach you how to become an officer.

Do you have any clue what you are talking about? I give you credit on the first part but have to disagree on the second because you dont know what you are talking about.