• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are we done talking egos and big watches...?

Now how about the ELP (Extended Landing Pattern) some air wings including mine started flying in 2001. Involves a healthy extension off the 180 and about 25 seconds on the ball. Not your typical ship Day Case I pattern. Potential for conflict with aircraft coming into the break was also increased. The turn off the extened 180 was level to intercept glidepath out at range. Can't remember if we changed break altitude or not, been a few years.

The rationale was it allowed for more time to get on and on vice a roll on into final from a turn. Then a longer wings level state on the ball.

Anyone done this recently?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverPilot View Original
the props require MUCH MORE piloting/skill than a jet.

Ok, so I don't communicate too clearly. I was not trying to get into the jet vs prop vs helo better pilot argument.

I'll try to make my point with analogies. My point was that flying any Navy jet in the break is like driving a sports car on a winding mtn road, while flying the COD or E-2 into the break more resembles driving a fully loaded dump truck on that same road. Simple enough now?

My point still stands: Complaining about a 350kt break in a Hornet is weak.

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverPilot View Original
the props require MUCH MORE piloting/skill than a jet.

Ok, so I don't communicate too clearly. I was not trying to get into the jet vs prop vs helo better pilot argument.

I'll try to make my point with analogies. My point was that flying any Navy jet in the break is like driving a sports car on a winding mtn road, while flying the COD or E-2 into the break more resembles driving a fully loaded dump truck on that same road. Simple enough now?

My point still stands: Complaining about a 350kt break in a Hornet is weak.

yep dump truck drivers are better drivers than race car drivers, crystal clear

your analogy makes my point too, a dump truck is optimized for slow speed high drag handling (like a cod), and a race car requires speed for its optimum handling characteristics to be realized, (like a fighter) due to downforce and all that hub bub. So yeah, my race car likes to turn, but not at a snail's pace. Again, I've said this alot I think, but the argument is for faster breaks or no breaks, mostly hoping someone will say, ok ok you can break at 450+. I've said the whole time I didn't think it would result in a mishap, just trying to use a "potential" hazard to serve my purpose of breaking fast like the good ole days.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
chiplee1 said:
....haha, .... I keep going and going and going ....
Psychiatrists say that one sign of insanity is when one keeps performing the same action (or post??) over and over again with the expectation of a different result.

I think we've beat the "break" to death on this one and now it's deteriorated beyond the point of any merit. I've even given the first and only negative "rep" on this post since I've been aboard. And you all think I'm just a mean old Ha'ole man.

.... and as I've got more "break-time" .... (coffee, that is?) ..... than any of you ..... I am exercising the option to .....

stop_insanity_susan_powter.JPG
STOP the INSANITY....
padlock.gif
..... because I care .... :icon_rast

Status
Not open for further replies.