• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

VINNYNY

Perhaps #2 needs to be clarified amongst students in the best interest of all involved. It seems that Students have started to show up at the VTs with the idea that if they go med down for anything they will be attrited- no questions asked. When asked where they got this idea from they state they were told that at API. Needless to say, it leaves us unimpressed with the staff of building 633 because it seems that this is a scare tactic that does little more then create situations where students who really should be med down, and getting healthy, attempt to go flying anyway- putting both them and their IPs at greater risk every time they do so.

Not that the staff of building 633 is out to impress anyone, but I'll clarify for you anyway. CNATRAINST 1500.4G, paragraph 614, delineates the specific procedures for dealing with medical delays. It lays out the medical milestones and the required actions. (It's available online if you care to review it). I don't know whether or not the VTs are enforcing the regulation, but NASC is attempting to comply. The intent of the indoctrination briefings and my previous post is not to scare aviation candidates away from doctors. The intent is to scare students away from extraordinarily risky activities that may cut short their nascent careers. Hence the term "seriously injured". If you have the sniffles, see a flight doc and don't risk blwoing out your sinuses. If you crash your Ducati and shatter your arm and leg, start planning for a new career while you're recovering for nine months...

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot
I had to go med-down during IFS for a week due to a sinus infection. I was determined to fly but my instructor told me blowing my ear drums out would not be worth it. The IFS people told me the same and that I would have extra time to finish. Went to see the flight surgeon, got cleared up, and was good to go.

Separate question: I'm a Coastie starting API soon. How does the NSS affect us? Are we held to the same standard as Navy SNAs? Any insight would be appreciated.

VINNYNY

I had to go med-down during IFS for a week due to a sinus infection. I was determined to fly but my instructor told me blowing my ear drums out would not be worth it. The IFS people told me the same and that I would have extra time to finish. Went to see the flight surgeon, got cleared up, and was good to go.

Separate question: I'm a Coastie starting API soon. How does the NSS affect us? Are we held to the same standard as Navy SNAs? Any insight would be appreciated.

No news on NSS for Coasties. However, the latest CNATT policy directive says that students with a sub-35 NSS will be subject to review and could be eliminated from training.

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot
No news on NSS for Coasties. However, the latest CNATT policy directive says that students with a sub-35 NSS will be subject to review and could be eliminated from training.

Thanks. Most of what I have heard is that we need a 35 to wing. My goal is to do my best and get the highest scores possible...just curious how the system works.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
The coasties in my class say they need a 35 and can't get 5 pink sheets through out all of training. Also, select based on your API grades because how the USCG does their platform selection quarterly or however they explained it. So straight from a JG's mouth to an Ensignto here... so prob. as far from the truth as possible.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I'd probably reference what VINNY said if I were you, he's definitely in a position to know what the actual policy is, instead of the Ensign/JG rumor mill.

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot
Yeah, I'd probably reference what VINNY said if I were you, he's definitely in a position to know what the actual policy is, instead of the Ensign/JG rumor mill.

Thanks, sir. I've heard that similar rumor, but I was curious if there was more to it. My goal is to meet the same standards as the Navy SNAs. Don't want to get through "because I'm a Coastie".

NavyNole

I'm not sure if your initial flight physical is done at API or OCS, but assuming it is done at API and the docs find something that deems you ineligible for aviation... but you're good for every other designator, do you get redesignated or discharged? I've heard a mix of things on this and I'm just curious with the current state of things how this situation is handled.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
There are many factors. Are other communities hurting for officers? Are you USNA/NROTC/STA-21 vice OCS? etc etc etc...

NavyNole

There are many factors. Are other communities hurting for officers? Are you USNA/NROTC/STA-21 vice OCS? etc etc etc...

I'm applying for OCS. So basically it's depends on the needs of the Navy at that moment in time. Good to know. Thanks for the info!

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
I'm applying for OCS. So basically it's depends on the needs of the Navy at that moment in time. Good to know. Thanks for the info!
You will have a flight physical at OCS. If they NPQ you there, you have the option to attempt a redes, but as was said, it depends if another community needs Officers. You will also have another flight physical in P'cola before API. Same thing here, whammy=option to attempt a redes.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
On behalf of class 4311, I would like to invite those who have completed API to the Mustin Beach O-Club next Friday (09Sep, 1230-1430). Should be good times, look forward to seeing you there.