• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Air Contract and My Chances

BlazeUSMC

Belligerent Arm Swing!
To further supplement the numerous perspectives and given paths to your coveted air contract...

I always grew up idolizing the marines, spoke briefly with an enlisted recruiter both in high school and again in community college. I always had the inclination that I would eventually do my duty as a young, able-bodied citizen of the U.S, but I was just waiting for my perfect opportunity. It came one day when I got turned on to the Officer programs in the Marine Corps, before that I had absolutely zero knowledge of what an Officer of Marines is or any associated program (PLC/OCC). After that meeting with my OSO and doing my own research, I was hooked. First off, to be a Marine in itself says a tremendous amount about an individual and what they strive to accomplish in life. Now, the privilege to be a Marine Corps Officer and a leader of warriors is just that, a privilege. I really dont want to sound like a recruiting ad, but you have to want to answer this calling. Its as simple as that.

In regards to obtaining an air contract. I can tell you first hand just like everyone else who posted, there will not be any air contracts until OCT 2010 because in the few previous fiscal years the Marine Corps had a supposed "shortage" of pilots and hence beefed up its recruiting for getting candidates locked onto air contracts. The Marine Corps didnt prepare for the high volume of new air contracts and thus flight school and even TBS became full and backed up, putting newly commissioned 2ndLts on PTAD (Permissive Temporary Additional Duty). That is exactly where I am, Im working with my OSO right now, as I am on a waiting list for TBS because flight school in Pensacola is so backed up. Therefore, trust that the knowledge and numbers I gave you are accurate.

If you want to be a Marine Aviator, then wait for the air contract when it becomes available again. If you just simply want to fly, maybe seek another branch. If you dont know much about the pride and traditions of the Marine Corps and wish you did, dive into some Marine Corps history and understand the camaraderie and traditions that make it the finest fighting organization in the world. Good Luck

jfulginiti

pilot
None
I am contemplating Marine OCS. I want to be a pilot. My chances sound good based on the stuff I have read. Getting to fly in the Marines sounds like a better bet than any other branch. But I know that I can't just want to join because I think flying is cool. I get that. Like the OCS video says, you have to want to lead Marines. But I have doubts. Is doubt the first sign that it's not for me. I am just trying to get a sense of what I am getting into.

Why not? That's exactly what got me to call the OSO. I was walking around campus fall of sophomore year in college and noticed a bunch of flyers for Marine aviation and guaranteed flight slots, etc etc. I was a long haired hippy in high school and swore I would never join the military. I didn't know jack about the Marines or what I was getting into. I just wanted to fly. I was probably the easiest recruit ever....

Me: "Hi. I saw your flyers about guaranteed pilot spots."
OSO: "Okay. How's your vision?"
Me: "About 20/200."
OSO: "Well, you can't be a pilot but you can be an NFO."
Me: "What's that? Is it still flying?"
OSO: "Yes, you sit in the back."
Me: "Okay, where do I sign up?"

Joining the Marines is kind of a big deal. Of course you'll have some doubt. You'll have doubt about joining, doubt about OCS (holy shit what am I doing here?!), doubt about accepting your commission but it goes away because you BECOME a Marine during the process. Your OSO, OCS and TBS are designed to MAKE you a Marine officer. I think you should consider what happens if you can't fly. Would you still want to join? Is there something else you'd want to do in the Marines?

USMCFLYR

pilot
I can tell you that you had better want to be a Marine first and a pilot second.
One reason is hat you will have to put up with more and do more to become a Marine pilot than in any other service IMO. No other service has an OCS program as long as or as physically demanding as the Marines and no other service as a program similar to TBS - where you will spend A LOT of cold and wet or hot and sweaty days in conditions that no other pilot candidate has to endure before even getting near a cockpit.
Second - like anohter poster asked - why do YOU want to be a Marine?
My OSO asked me that question after a lot of screening and such. he ifnally said "so why should I let you into my Marine Corps?"
Ever notice though Marine commercials? Even though they mostly relate to enlisting in the Marines they still speak to the fact that they don't mention money for college or the interesting travel or the ability to take your skills to the civilian world after you have served. they only offer you the chance to be a Marine. It is a different view in many ways.
Coming on the forums here and asking *intelligent* questions, talking to present and former Marines, and doing some deep soul searching will eventually lead you to the answer.
Good luck.

USMCFLYR