• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Air Contract and My Chances

ProjectAsics578

First: I am new to the forum. Please don't ream me too much if I sound stupid.

I was interested in knowing when the Air Contract is offered to someone. I could not find out exactly when that was by searching through the posts on here. Is that offered before you ship out to OCS or after you receive your commission? Is it really as much of a guarantee as they say it is?

What exactly are my chances of being offered an air contract? I realize that all depends on your scores and things, your physical, etc. But if you meet all the requirements then you are going to get an air contract, correct?

jtmedli

pilot
First: I am new to the forum. Please don't ream me too much if I sound stupid.

I was interested in knowing when the Air Contract is offered to someone. I could not find out exactly when that was by searching through the posts on here. Is that offered before you ship out to OCS or after you receive your commission? Is it really as much of a guarantee as they say it is?

What exactly are my chances of being offered an air contract? I realize that all depends on your scores and things, your physical, etc. But if you meet all the requirements then you are going to get an air contract, correct?

You go to OCS as an air contract.

Right now your chances are 0. There are no AIR slots until October 2010.

ProjectAsics578

How do you know......

How do you know that joining the service, regardless of the branch, is right for you? Like, is there some question that you can ask yourself that basically lets you know that military service is the thing for you? That probably sounds like a dumb question to ask on here, but I am willing to take the heat if it helps me out with my decision.

I am contemplating Marine OCS. I want to be a pilot. My chances sound good based on the stuff I have read. Getting to fly in the Marines sounds like a better bet than any other branch. But I know that I can't just want to join because I think flying is cool. I get that. Like the OCS video says, you have to want to lead Marines. But I have doubts. Is doubt the first sign that it's not for me. I am just trying to get a sense of what I am getting into.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have the rough application for OCS sitting on my desk. My OSO gave me 10 days to decided if I want to start the app. process or not. He suggested I talk with as many people as possible so that is what I am trying to do by coming on here and posting.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Too easy,

Watch Bridges at Toko-RI and Flying Leathernecks, if you don't get a hard on, don't join. Simple, next question?

Really though, ask yourself if you want to be in the greatest team sport there is? Me? I miss the locker room atmosphere and being part of something greater than myself. So I feel right at home, and of course duh, I love to fly.

I also am fiercely patriotic.

If you feel the same way, then do it...it's only natural to have a little apprehension before you make the biggest move of your life.

Now, if you just want to fly because you know the girls love it and you get some cool glasses and a jacket, I say you save yourself the trouble.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Now thats too easy.

Touche'... I guess now I know why my favorite line in Top Gun is I WANT SOME BUTTS. It's amazing how AW will help you shed light on your sexuality...time to go drink now.

Oh, there you go, another reason to want to join. The ball busting just isn't the same in a McJob.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Are you pissed off at all the slack-jaw retards around you because they aren't motivated and basically smell and act like a bunch of hippie-tree-hugging freaks? Time to join the Marines...

ProjectAsics578

Where would I have that information, about no slots until Oct 2010?

And I kind of agree with picklesuit. I do see a lot of slack-jawed retards that really aren't trying as hard as they could. It does bug me. I hate people who complain about things that aren't really that hard.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Do you like dumb haircuts and short green shorts? Guns and protein powder? Bad tattoos and rolled-up sleeves? If so, HOORAH.

(Just kidding... Kind of. :icon_tong)

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Do you like dumb haircuts and short green shorts? Guns and protein powder? Bad tattoos and rolled-up sleeves? If so, HOORAH.

That would be 'oorah!' ;)

and by the way, it's not stupid haircuts, even though I'm no longer on the green side, I still appreciate a good high and tight :icon_tong

b0pric01

pilot
Are you pissed off at all the slack-jaw retards around you because they aren't motivated and basically smell and act like a bunch of hippie-tree-hugging freaks? Time to join the Marines...

These guys nailed it. As for me, I never even considered the military as anything more than a back-up plan until January of this year. I have now completed Marine OCS and am on track to be commissioned next August and head to TBS then flight school.

I'm not sure why I replied to the piece of mail I got about becoming a Marine Corps Officer, but I just felt it was the best thing I could do to support the troops. I think the magnets and yard signs are gay, so I did the next best thing I could think of: join. Blah, blah, blah, the point is it just felt like the right thing to do, to me.

I contracted in January or Febuary (can't remember), went to MEPS, took the ASTB like a few weeks later and was guaranteed an Air slot, took a forgotten number of PFTs, went to OCS at the end of May, and graduated PLC combined in early August. Now I am working hard at getting my degree so I can be either sent to TBS or put on PTAD.

Why do YOU want to be a Marine Officer? That is what you have to ask yourself. Anyone can do it, if they're motivated and stay motivated, but it's hard to stay motivated if you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
You go to OCS as an air contract.

Right now your chances are 0. There are no AIR slots until October 2010.

For OCC, that's true... but for PLC there are air contracts available right now.

If projectasics is a FR/SO/JR then there could be one available.

ProjectAsics578

For OCC, that's true... but for PLC there are air contracts available right now.

If projectasics is a FR/SO/JR then there could be one available.

I am a junior technically. I have been to a couple of schools during my college career. The completion date of my degree is 2011, either the summer or fall. It depends on the availability of summer classes in my area among the local colleges. (So Cal has a bunch so I feel fortunate that I might find the classes I need but the budget crunch has hit hard).

You guys have been asking me some good questions and they are ones I will have to think about. Thank you for that.

Question: What if there are no air slots available now though? Could I shoot for one later? Or does this whole "flight contract guarantee" preclude anyone else from ever getting a spot in flight school?

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I am a junior technically. I have been to a couple of schools during my college career. The completion date of my degree is 2011, either the summer or fall. It depends on the availability of summer classes in my area among the local colleges. (So Cal has a bunch so I feel fortunate that I might find the classes I need but the budget crunch has hit hard).

You guys have been asking me some good questions and they are ones I will have to think about. Thank you for that.

Question: What if there are no air slots available now though? Could I shoot for one later? Or does this whole "flight contract guarantee" preclude anyone else from ever getting a spot in flight school?

If you're a junior then you should be busting your ass trying to get a slot. The no flight contracts for a year is only for OCC. Even if for whatever reason there isn't an available slot you should still be working hard because shit happens and that guy who has your slot right now might get inured or flake.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Yeah you would be PLC-C and would go to OCS this summer, and yes, you have an opportunity for an air contract. Work on the paper work, PT run pull ups ECT and do it, if you don’t like OCS then when at yeast you tried. OCS is no joke, but fly a Military A/C rocks.