• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Air Boss wings his son...4th generation of naval aviators from one family

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I hope that you're implying that, being a fourth generation Naval Aviator, he has an innate ability to fly---and not that he received preferential treatment.

If it's the latter, stand by for the dogpile.
Just look at all the 3rd, 4th, etc, generation Admirals there are. I saw a study once that showed an officer had a lot better chance of making flag if his father was an Admiral.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
I know of an attrited student from 9, story goes that his dad played golf with CNATRA, kid got another chance down the hall in 7. I think that was the time I glued a piece of brach's candy over my anchor on my wings...
Watching former AIRPAC's son as a Hornet RAG student (O-2) drinking beer with his pops and the other stars always made me a bit squeemish.
DQed a kid for sucking fat bunghole (saved his life more than once), his O-6 dad called the skipper of the squadron wanting to "talk to me". Skipper told him to pack efing sand. The kid apologized emphatically!
Sadly, Sodbuster Benson's RIO son came to our squadron to follow in his dad's footsteps...
Sounds like "Tom" would give you the shirt off his back, bravo.
Still not a fan of Daddies little pilots/nfos...... potential bad juju IMO.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Did this study go into the reasons why that that is true?
No, but it was while I was on TR and was published in either Proceedings or Navy Times. A week or so later, the yearly flag promotions came out and both Capt Abbott (TR CO) and Capt Fallon (CAG) were on the list. Both had fathers that were flags and in Abbott's case Grandfather and possibly Great Grandfather. The night the list came out, I was passing through Combat on my way to OOD watch. TAO told me about their selections and I said "it figures, their Dad's were Admirals".. Next thing I know Capt. Fallon has me cornered and is chewing me a new asshole (bad SA on my part). Later on the bridge, Capt. Abbott called me to his chair and told me not to worry about it. He said while he thought his performance justified his selection, there was no doubt his lineage played a part in his career/assignments. I explained to him about the study I'd recently read and he said it was an indisputable fact and CAG Fallon knew that too.

Admiral Abbott - definitely deserved every promotion he ever got. One of the best Naval Officers I ever met and served under.
Admiral Fallon - not so much.

So even though I don't know "Tom" and he may be the best stick around, I'd bet when his selection wish list popped up someone said "the Admiral...." It's something that he will have to live with and acknowledge his whole career. How he handles this will be the measure of his character. From what those who know him on here have posted, he seems to be handling it right.

But don't ever believe that his CoC doesn't know who his father is or that this fact escapes them at decision time.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
But don't ever believe that his CoC doesn't know who his father is or that this fact escapes them at decision time.

So when it comes down to things like selections and promotions, do you think it is actual favors being pulled or just the CoC being aware of the persons lineage?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
DQed a kid for sucking fat bunghole (saved his life more than once), his O-6 dad called the skipper of the squadron wanting to "talk to me". Skipper told him to pack efing sand. The kid apologized emphatically!

Seems like having an O-6 dad really wouldn't give you that much pull, what with the trawing commodore being one himself (and the skippers not being significantly junior to one either).

Correct about JG Kilcline, solid dude, you'd never know dad was CNAF, though he's (Tom junior that is) a bit pasty in complexion so I think he will probably want to keep his shirt :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
So when it comes down to things like selections and promotions, do you think it is actual favors being pulled or just the CoC being aware of the persons lineage?
I think those that write orders, sit on boards and write fitreps are well aware of lineage. Some let that influence them and some don't. But history shows you have a better chance if you have lineage.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... history shows you have a better chance if you have lineage.
Roger that; I know of at least one guy that would have NEVER received his Wings of Gold were his surname not Mc-something ... McClain (?) ... McDonalds (?) ... McLieberstein (?) ... McMotzarella (?) ... can't remember, exactly. :)