• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The 3 mile run

Johnny_Danger

Seriously guys, 18 minutes just sounds absolutely sick to me...
I'm at about 24-25 mins and I think I can get it down to 22-23...

Can someone say what is average for an OCS candidate during week 1? I don't want to be at the bottom of the barrel but realistically I don't think I can be at the top so I'm curious if I'm average on the run...

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Are you going to Jrs, Combined, or OCC? I know for Seniors and NROTC candidates hardly anyone in the companies finished after 21:30. I imagine the curve to not be so steep for the 10 weekers, however, I'd really bust my a$$ to get my run time as low as humanly possible.

Semper Fi, Doc

beav

My OSO told me at least 22 minutes to be competitive. And I think that's assuming all your other stuff is above average. If you don't have one already, get a running buddy that's faster than you. And I hope they're easier on the combined guys. I'm a junior and just started conditioning. I should be fine if I have until February for the March board, though.

Beav

E6286

OCC 191 Select
My run was mid 22's and was selected, however, I also had 20 pullups and 100 crunches.

My run is having trouble gaining speed. I am around 22 minutes at this point but really need to get down by january. I just can't seem to get any faster regardless of running 4-5 days per week.

FLY_USMC

pilot
If you get it down to 22-23, you will probably be near the bottom of the pack, I would say probably 80% of the people will be faster than that. BUT, if you move it up to say 20-21, you'd be right in the middle, if not a little above. I would say the average is 20:30 or so, remember that just because you run a 23:00 in-pft, it doesn't mean you won't graduate, just means you'll be the slow guy.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
LoL, I am trying to speed up but I am not having much luck. It doesn't make sense either bc I am a skinny 160lbs, standing around 5'11''.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
sh!t guys Im old and I broke my back 6 months ago and I think I can gut out a 23:00, hit the track young ones.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
I think alot of it will change when I am running with someone. Both PFTs I did I was alone so I think during the heat of the moment I should be able to crack a 21 min PFT. However, I have heard that the course is like 3.2 miles which scares me a bit. That can add a full 1.5 min to my time. Yuck.

At least I have 12 more weeks to train.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I think alot of it will change when I am running with someone. Both PFTs I did I was alone so I think during the heat of the moment I should be able to crack a 21 min PFT. However, I have heard that the course is like 3.2 miles which scares me a bit. That can add a full 1.5 min to my time. Yuck.

At least I have 12 more weeks to train.

It basically comes down to the fact that you need to get that time down...if you aren't highlighted at OCS and are able to make it through there your peers at TBS won't be very forgiving...they guys who couldn't run, ie ran somewhere around a 23 either had a massive injury recently or were given hell all the time...

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The course should be exactly 3 miles. Whoever said it is 3.2 is probably misinformed, I would be surprised if a place like OCS would be violating the PFT order...

Of course, I haven't ran the PFT there, so maybe I am wrong...

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The course should be exactly 3 miles. Whoever said it is 3.2 is probably misinformed, I would be surprised if a place like OCS would be violating the PFT order...

Of course, I haven't ran the PFT there, so maybe I am wrong...

What I've heard is that there's an allowable variation on the course from 2.8 to 3.2 miles; so naturally OCS goes with the maximum. Incidentally, .2 seems to be about as long as the first baby lap.

I had a preship of 23:36, the rain and mud and jostling bumped my initial PFT to a 24:01 (yay, skylining). At 22:31 I was the last guy in my PLC-C company on our intermediate PFT. I was having a lot of trouble physically, fell out of runs and humps, and if I hadn't gotten injured I was likely headed home at the week 5 boards.

I'm shooting for under 20 for next summer.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
That + or - .2 miles thing is the Lance Corporal underground hard at work. Marine Corps PFT order:

b. 3.0 mile Run Course. The run course must be measured for accuracy and set over reasonably level ground. Course selection criteria must include consideration of the following:

(1) Safety. Operational Risk Management (ORM) measures must be taken to
ensure the course does not expose participants to undue risk.

(2) Performance. When possible, the course should be an “out and back” or
wide loop course. The run course should not include numerous sharp turns, etc. that would force a participant to slow down excessively to remain on the course.

(3) Location. An indoor or outdoor track is permissible for the conduct of
the run event. A determination as to whether the track is a yard or meter track must be made and the track measured to ensure accurate distance, prior to conducting the PFT. Run courses should not require a Marine to do more than 12 laps to cover 3.0 miles, (e.g., a course should not be shorter than 440-yard per lap). Running this event on a treadmill is not authorized.

gringo

I just got NPQ'd from OCC 190. The course seems to be a little longer than 3 miles. About what your time is, 22-23 min range is fine as long as your good at upper body stuff. If you dont score a 225 on your initial pft you will be sent home. But the faster you run the better.

Johnny_Danger

It's weird, I can complete a 7 mile run at the same pace as the 3 mile run. It would seem to make sense that I can really step it up and go faster on the 3 mile but I'm having a tough time. I think it takes too long for me to catch my second wind. I guess I have to start doing more interval training.