• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thank You AW!

TylerConnell

R6 > G6
Yo Tyler, a lot more Dudes reading this thread than you may realize... the main reason many of us 'experienced elders' even bother to get up from our rocker & on the AW site, is to try to help young'uns like yourself, realize your dreams as we did.:)

Good show on your test retake...now keep on plugging, step by step and don't take NO for an answer. Keep your eyes on the prize! View attachment 11568
BzB ;)

Thank you sir I appreciate it more than anyone will know!

Phantom309

Welcome to the site, and best of luck Tyler. AW got the best folks in the world to keep you motivated and eye on the prize.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank you sir I appreciate it more than anyone will know!
Tyler, your last name reminds me of a long fallen fellow A-4 driver from our sister squadron...LT James "JJ" Connell (USNA '61, fm Wilmington, DE). Often previously, we were liberty/golfing buddies prior to and on our first combat cruise in '66 on RANGER. On 15 July '66, JJ was downed by a SAM, ejected & immediately captured, becoming an acknowledged POW.:(

When our POWs were returned in early '73, JJ was not on the list or among them. When NVN officials were queried about his absence, they would only say he died in captivity. Upon debriefing of the returnees, it was determined that JJ had persistently tried to escape numerous times during the first few years of his imprisonment. Being banished to solitary confinement after the first few attempts. Information gleaned through the POW crude, but effective comm. system, found that after some 6+ escape attempts out of solitary, the guards killed him on his final attempt. Eye witnesses testified to his persistence & raw courage in trying to fulfill his duty to escape. LCDR (then LT) J. J. Connell was awarded the Navy Cross & Purple Heart posthumously, for his heroism exhibited and wounds inflicted from constant beatings, then murder by his captors.:mad:
JJ-2.jpgJJ-5.gifJJ-3.gifJJ-4.gif
I mention this to you in that (who knows), you & he may be distantly related through common ancestors in ol' Ireland??? The last name of CONNELL, will always remind me of my courageous Bud' "JJ". It was an awesomehonor for me to serve alongside & lead such heroic men, during my 2 combat deployments in CVW-14. Go forth & add luster to the "Clan Connell" surname:)
*Google JJ's full name for more info, or to read his NC Citation. (Our CAG was also awarded an NC on our '66 'adventure', CVW-14, an awesome Airwing!)
BzB

TylerConnell

R6 > G6
BusyBee I appreciate you sharing that story with me. It is amazing to read stories like this. I did a little bit of research and found this:
http://veterantributes.org/TributeDetail.php?recordID=276

My Grandfather was in the Air Force for 27 years, my Uncle was USCG for 17 years, and a LONG list of cousins from ARMY/Air Force also. There is a strong possibility that I could be related to him (c'mon ancestry.com!).

After my failed attempt in the ARMY I've become very determined to reach my goal of becoming an office in the Navy and eventually being able to fly. I'm hoping to add as much "good karma" as I can to the family name now :)

TylerConnell

R6 > G6
Just got my second ACT scores in
Composite Score :23
English 23
Mathematics 20
Reading 24
Science 26

As opposed to last scores
Composite Score :22
English 20
Mathematics 19
Reading 22
Science 26
Combined English/Writing19

Even though it was only a one point improvement on the composite core I was able to improve over 3/4 areas overall. I call that a W in my book!

Should be taking this to the OR real soon.....

TylerConnell

R6 > G6
Been awhile but here is an update.....

I met with Lt. Gardner (Southern University's Assistant Professor of Naval Science) this past Saturday. I will be joining NROTC as a college programmer and he believes I should have no problem picking up a scholarship by the end of the first semester. He also believes because of my age, matureness, and previous experience with the Army will aid in my success in NROTC. Also, I started CrossFit at my local box in January and it is amazing how much my cardio endurance and strength has increased in 3 short months. Running is no longer an issue, I have more flexibility than
ever before, and all of my compound movements are at, or over, 1:1 strength to weight ratio. Funny thing is I am going to be the oldest guy in the entire program :). They have a guy that is commissioning this year at 27, which will be me in 4 years.

I will be updating this thread as much as I can. My MIDN Orientation week is August 12 - 16th at Southern university.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome aboard, Tyler.

Like BzB, the name Connell struck a chord with me too.
E.W. "Deacon" Connell was our sister squadron's CO, and one of the finest combat flight leads I ever knew. His lead and briefing of my 1st Alpha Strike going 'downtown' is a memory I shall never forget.

Here is a 15 min. video memorial to him. Perhaps you were related.

TylerConnell

R6 > G6
Welcome aboard, Tyler.

Like BzB, the name Connell struck a chord with me too.
E.W. "Deacon" Connell was our sister squadron's CO, and one of the finest combat flight leads I ever knew. His lead and briefing of my 1st Alpha Strike going 'downtown' is a memory I shall never forget.

Here is a 15 min. video memorial to him. Perhaps you were related.

Amazing video! He sounded like an amazing leader. I'm hoping to be half as good as him or JJ.

I will have to dig into the family tree and find out if any of these men are in there, it would certainly explain why me and my dad love flying so much.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is a " I will be joining NROTC as a college programmer"? Are you working for the Navy or in the NROTC scholarship program?

How did you do in high school (GPA, class rank and SAT scores)?

TylerConnell

R6 > G6
What is a " I will be joining NROTC as a college programmer"? Are you working for the Navy or in the NROTC scholarship program?

How did you do in high school (GPA, class rank and SAT scores)?

I'll be getting into the program w/o a scholarship, with the hopes of picking up one after the 1st semester.

"Those accepted into NROTC not on a NROTC scholarship are called “College Programmers”. After becoming a “college programmer,” you can compete for a two or three-year NROTC scholarship after at least one semester of involvement in the unit."
From: http://nrotc.asu.edu/prospective_midshipmen/scholarships

And to be perfectly honest I graduated in 2008, I can't off the top of my head remember my GPA, I just know it was not amazing. Probably about as average as they come.

bcort

I'll be getting into the program w/o a scholarship, with the hopes of picking up one after the 1st semester.

"Those accepted into NROTC not on a NROTC scholarship are called “College Programmers”. After becoming a “college programmer,” you can compete for a two or three-year NROTC scholarship after at least one semester of involvement in the unit."
From: http://nrotc.asu.edu/prospective_midshipmen/scholarships

And to be perfectly honest I graduated in 2008, I can't off the top of my head remember my GPA, I just know it was not amazing. Probably about as average as they come.
Good luck. I entered NROTC as a college programmer. You'll get treated the same as anyone else.

I also picked up the scholarship after my first semester. Skimming this thread, I didn't see if you said what you plan to major in. I majored in a Tier 1 category (Engineering, some sciences, I believe), had a pretty good GPA (~3.0), and scored an Outstanding on the PRT. I wouldn't underestimate the type of major you decide (or at least tier). Hope that helps ya.

TylerConnell

R6 > G6
Good luck. I entered NROTC as a college programmer. You'll get treated the same as anyone else.

I also picked up the scholarship after my first semester. Skimming this thread, I didn't see if you said what you plan to major in. I majored in a Tier 1 category (Engineering, some sciences, I believe), had a pretty good GPA (~3.0), and scored an Outstanding on the PRT. I wouldn't underestimate the type of major you decide (or at least tier). Hope that helps ya.

Thanks! I appreciate the info greatly. I'm planning on Majoring in Computer Science, my current employer will foot half of the bill if I do. I really wanted to major in some kind of Avionics field, but coming from the IT Industry, Computer Science makes the most sense to start out with.

TylerConnell

R6 > G6
Little update on this......

I am less than 4 days out from NROTC Orientation, excited is an understatement. It is hard to believe that the time has finally come to start my long trek to this new career. I want to thank everyone that gave me the information I needed to get where I am today. I could not have gotten ANYWHERE without everyone.

And a big THANK YOU to Air Warriors for igniting this flame. I thought my dreams were dashed when I was ELSed from the Army, but it just goes to show you, never give up on your dream!