• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thank You AW!

TylerConnell

R6 > G6
New member here, wanted to introduce myself. My name is Tyler Connell (obvious username is obvious). I'm 22 and an aspiring SNA. Let me give you a little history on me.....

When I was very young my dad was a huge adrenaline junkie, still is now but age is catching up on him. He had a great idea to take me to a Thunderbird's airshow when I was about 5. I was in total awe at those F-16's. I don't want to be cliche, but he gave me Top Gun shortly after the air show. Shortly after Top Gun we went to go see the Blue Angels. I was certain that my future would lay in aviation. That was until high school graduation.....

When I graduated in May 2008 I immediately started visiting the local recruiting offices, only to be told my vision DQ'd me automatically (20/30 in both L and R eyes, which I would find out in the future was a lie). Now if you can imagine I'm pretty bummed at this point. I had a few friends that were joining the Army so I hopped onto the bandwagon and joined with them. Good ol' 11B infantry. You do stupid things with your young right? Well that was the stupidest thing I could have ever done in my whole life. Shortly after arriving to OSUT at Benning it became apparent that I had made a terrible mistake. When I shipped out of MEPS I weighed a whopping 135lbs. I was literally barely above the minimum weight limit. Starting off at OSUT was difficult at 18 and to spare you the boring details I failed 2 PT tests. Which in turn resulted in me being ELS'd out of the Army. I am not proud of that decision. I do, however, accept full responsibility for it as I was not forced to sign the contract. I volunteered for that situation and failed miserably at it because I had very poor judgment at the time. I am not looking for sympathy or compassion as I have made my decision and I have to live with it.

I spent the next 4 years strength, endurance, and cardio training. I was able to successfully build up 25lbs of muscle, my endurance has increased to about 5 times what it was 4 years ago. I am in the best shape of my life.

I've always wanted to fly and I can thank my dad for all of it. As cliche as it is, Top Gun started the fascination of the fighter pilot. I believe I finally have a chance at achieving my dreams at becoming a Naval Aviator.

I just want to thank everyone on the Air Warriors forum for all of the great advice you guys give out. I would not have even though of giving my dreams a second chance if it was not for you guys and gals!

Renegade One

None
New member here, wanted to introduce myself. My name is Tyler Connell (obvious username is obvious). I'm 22 and an aspiring SNA. Let me give you a little history on me.....
First of all, relax and quit kicking yourself about your earlier decision to join the Army. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, given the (mis)information you may have received at the time. Shame on your Army recruiters at the time for not more fully preparing you for the physical challenge ahead, but...yeah...you bear 51% of the responsibility for the ELS attrite, I guess. Let's call all of that "a teaching experience"...

Can I assume you have now completed...or are well on the way to completing...a college degree program with good grades and all of that? Hopefully that was "Job One" for you in the past 4 years.

Then, have you spoken with an Officer Selection recruiter about your other service ELS? I have no idea if that's a huge red flag or not...but he/she will. That's Job Two if you haven't already opened the dialogue. Even small red flags can be important discriminators in the current competitive environment, so you need to understand where you might stand in that regard. Just don't want you to be relying on AW or other on-line resources when there is truth to be found elsewhere by knocking on some doors and presenting your case and creds.

Good luck.:)

TylerConnell

R6 > G6
I'm actually taking the ACT again September 8th, previous scored are 5years old. Then I'm applying for the 4 years NROTC Scholarship.

As far as speaking to the Officer Recruiter yet I haven't been able to in person but have spoken to them on the phone. I have found out that because my ELS was due to performance issues as long as I can pass a PRT I will be good to go. The good thing is my PRT is above 300% now

TylerConnell

R6 > G6
Sounds like you're doing all "The Right Stuff". Again, good luck.

Thank you sir! I'm taking the ACT again tomorrow, I've been destroying the practice test (I should anyways because I deal with algebra on a daily basis). That'll be the first step, next step is off to my OR and starting the Scholarship Packet.

TylerConnell

R6 > G6
ACT was a bitch, caught a cold the previous day and didn't pace myself correctly. Only got a 22, I'll be retaking it on October 27th

TylerConnell

R6 > G6
Small update, just took the ACT again this past October 27th. Felt 1000 times better about it. Felt like the math was as easy as it could be. Should find out my scores in 2 weeks.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks! I'll keep everyone updated on this (or the few that actually read this haha)

Yo Tyler, a lot more Dudes reading this thread than you may realize... the main reason many of us 'experienced elders' even bother to get up from our rocker & on the AW site, is to try to help young'uns like yourself, realize your dreams as we did.:)

Good show on your test retake...now keep on plugging, step by step and don't take NO for an answer. Keep your eyes on the prize! Patch USN Wings.gif
BzB ;)[/quote]