• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-57 fleet grounding

Rubiks06

pilot
OK after a little more research Hellfires probably couldn't get you a class "a" but a FLIR most definitely could.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also given the multi-million dollar contract involved, why did Rolls Royce not immediately dispatch engineers and designers to ALL the facilities using this dangerous product?

NAVAIRSYSCOM has engineering class desk officers for this type of problem. It's not the first part found to be defective, and it's not the last. We had a subcontractor manufacture a gear in the 53's main transmission which during flight broke in several places. The crew had to ditch a $35M helo in 80 feet of water. I assure you NAVAIR, the OEM, and sub were all over this. In the case of the 57, I have no doubt Bell, RR, and their subs were diligently working to fix this problem. That's what NAVAIR does.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
OK after a little more research Hellfires probably couldn't get you a class "a" but a FLIR most definitely could.

Possibly. FLIRs are a different animal as they aren't controlled the same way most parts are, but let's say you run a T700 engine out of oil and think it might have seized (yes, that happened, even though the engine only ran for 30 seconds), that doesn't mean it's going to cost $800K (or whatever they are now). There's the cost for a new widget and the cost to repair a widget. Generally, components will be repaired which can lower the overall cost of the mishap.

Not saying you don't have a point, just expounding on the details.

phrogpilot73

And sometimes they get creative with the accounting to avoid a class A. I once saw a engine get stricken for a "bent inlet guide vane" rather than because it was over-temped/over-sped due to a stuck Emergency Throttle Actuator.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So, kinda back on topic, have they given any idea of how long it's gonna take to fix the bad governors?

Rubiks06

pilot
I guess an add on question to that one is where on the list of priority of getting these parts does the Navy fall. Im sure there are companies with a hell of a lot more money who want the same parts.

hscs

pilot
HSC-3 had a class A not too long ago -- big cost was the FLIR (the new version -- next generation up from the HH/-60B version). That being said, they will probably find enough damage on the airframe to keep it above the class A floor when the FLIR is finally declared "repairable" through fuzzy math.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Not Trent, though we shared a house with him for a time. Chris.

Were you in the RAG with Trent and Hump or in advanced with them?
Did a x-country with Trent in advanced - him, me, all our dive gear, and the tiniest little Marine IP we could find all went to Key West. The mishap occured right before I got to 18. Bob showed me the tail rotor and first aid kit from the bird when I came by to flight plan the x-country with T.

I ended up in the same wing as Bob and Jim, who ended up in the same squadron.

Small world.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Did a x-country with Trent in advanced - him, me, all our dive gear, and the tiniest little Marine IP we could find all went to Key West. The mishap occured right before I got to 18. Bob showed me the tail rotor and first aid kit from the bird when I came by to flight plan the x-country with T.

I ended up in the same wing as Bob and Jim, who ended up in the same squadron.

Small world.

Quite possible that we have met then. I think we left Milton in late March or early April.