• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-57 fleet grounding

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
So the whole fleet hasn't been grounded but I thought I would start a thread to help provide some info for those that aren't real sure what is going on. Here is the deal. 6 months ago HT-8 had an engine failure at night over the runway. 3 weeks ago HT-28 had an engine failure at PNS on climb out. 2 nights ago HT-28 had another failure at Santa Rosa. The cause of all 3 of these is the Nf Governor. There is a new manufacturer that is making this part. I'm not sure how new. The same part caused 3 Bell 206's to have engine failures this week at Ft Rucker.

As of today out of 119 aircraft 11 have the old governor and are up aircraft. 9 Bravos and 2 Charlies, one of those being a NVG bird. Those 11 have to be shared between the 3 squadrons. I don't know what the time line is for things to get back on track. We are also waiting to see what happens when the NTSB gets the reports today or tomorrow. Lots of people out there are flying 206's besides us. I think we just saw it first due to the number of hours we fly. That is pretty much all I know at this point.

Smoke

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
He was at 500 feet and just turned to the north after taking off from the taxiway parallel to RWY 8. He had a full bag of gas and a student in the back. This was on a Saturday. He did a 180 and wanted to go to 26 but someone was taking off so he just continued to the taxiway. He hit the ground, got airborne again for 40-50 feet and then skidded to a stop. He only spread the skids a little. No injuries.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
That must have been quite a wake-up call. Nice flying. Was it a Charlie or a Bravo? A full Charlie would be a handful to do a 180 in.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
A Charlie. The student up front was under the hood with the observer in the back.

The one Tuesday night was in a Charlie on a Night Con. On a normal approach at 15 ft the engine quit. Executed a cut gun (simulated engine failure in a 5ft hover) and student said that the landing felt just like a bad cut gun.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I think it helped that the one from PNS was a CAT 1 instructor that does full autos all the time.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Sort of. It's you and another student or winger (a winger is someone who just got their wings and just hasn't left yet).
Like he said...

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
"Solo's" are flow with another student as an observer. The Pilot at the controls should not remove his hands from the controls. The other pilot tunes radios and such.

There are three solo flighs. The first one is in contacts. The other two are a VFR and an IFR that are flow as an out and in right after instrument check.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Sort of. It's you and another student or winger (a winger is someone who just got their wings and just hasn't left yet).
Like he said...

I spent 3 months after getting winged stashed signing log books and seating seat meat for SNA solos!

Well done to all the pilots involved. A testament to their skill and training...

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
So have they determined what, exactly, is causing the engines to fail? Or do they have any ideas? Aside from the fact that the aircraft involved have Nf governors from the new manufacturer.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Glad I got out of Milton last month... my buddy's behind me appear to be in for a loooong wait.