• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Tesla Autopilot and similar automated driving systems get poor rating from prominent safety group

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm also not convinced that they are more environmentally friendly - how many are being charged by plants powered by coal?

The share of energy in the United States generated by coal has dropped from 52.8% in 1997 to 17.8% in 2023, so a lot less likely than not at least here in the US.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'm also not convinced that they are more environmentally friendly - how many are being charged by plants powered by coal?
I absolutely want electricity to charge my Tesla produced by coal! At off peak residential rates, my electric costs are under $.09 cents per Kwh. It was the deciding factor given I have a 140 mile round trip commute to the office 3x per week.

My average whole home energy bill on my 2000 sq foot condo with attached 2 car garage is under $70/month that includes heating and cooling.

We dig coal fro Appalachia or West Virginia/PA, float it down the Ohio River where there is a thermal power plant every 75 miles or so, burn coal in a relatively clean manner to produce gigawatts!

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
....coastal elites can virtue signal their empathy while driving their EVs....
I see this trope a lot and I really don't think it holds water today. Even when you look at advertising for the cars they aren't talking about "doing your part" or some environmentalist fluff. They're nice cars and people buying them are interested in nice cars. I also think they're more fun to drive than an ICE vehicle.

Random8145

If you have more than a functional interest in this topic I would encourage you to listen to the latest Tesla earnings call which just dropped - fascinating and the vision and execution is just majestic despite the tepid response of late of the American Consumer.

I'm even more convinced that the act of paying attention, controlling a a steering wheel, brake and accelerator is at best a plebian activity that need to die. And the traditionalists who run Ford, GM and Toyota just don't get it. Tesla is very much about improving society and efficiency in life - well beyond the junior varsity work of emissions.

Looking forward to what's to come.

Mr. Chuck, the problem with your logic here is you can take that to an extreme where people never get out of bed in the future as it is too dangerous, as we will have robots to take care of us. And no more cooking your own food, or eating it, as special nutrient/calorie pills can be issued to provide people their nutrition. Like in that song, In the Year 2525.

I like driving personally and I do feel certain countries will seek to outlaw it when the self driving tech develops enough, and I can envision people arguing how the U.S. is one of the last holdouts that doesn't outlaw it (and there will be attempts here), but like with guns, I prefer freedom over perceived security.

Random8145

Cars that can run on water are cool but very dangerous. They kill 100% of their inventors…
Toyota already has a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle in the Mirai. I've read a problem though is when refueling, the fuel pump is COLD because the hydrogen is liquid of course. What are you referring to when you say water vehicles kill 100% of their inventors?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I look forward to the day where the roads are filled with EV's that all work in a swarm of interconnected auto driving. I'll be there in my 1990 M3, rowing through my manual gearshift, and exploiting all the stupid crap driving decisions these cars make. Though it would be hard to be a worse driver than a Seattle Tesla (or Rivian) owner

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I look forward to the day where the roads are filled with EV's that all work in a swarm of interconnected auto driving. I'll be there in my 1990 M3, rowing through my manual gearshift, and exploiting all the stupid crap driving decisions these cars make. Though it would be hard to be a worse driver than a Seattle Tesla (or Rivian) owner
Dammit! I was way off with my Atlanta guess a few days ago.

When I was a young man, if you couldn't drive a manual it reflected poorly on your place in society. I get it that automatic transmissions are the norm now, probably for good economic reasons.

There's also probably some Vietnam era UH-1 pilot on this board that will mock modern helo pilots for not having to manipulate the twist grip when moving the collective...but it's still cooler to have those skills IMO 😎

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Dammit! I was way off with my Atlanta guess a few days ago.

When I was a young man, if you couldn't drive a manual it reflected poorly on your place in society. I get it that automatic transmissions are the norm now, probably for good economic reasons.

There's also probably some Vietnam era UH-1 pilot on this board that will mock modern helo pilots for not having to manipulate the twist grip when moving the collective...but it's still cooler to have those skills IMO 😎

Oh man, perfect setting tonight coming home to Whidbey from Seatac. Fairly heavy rain, everyone here drives like an idiot and decides the left lane is the safest place to be. Turns out they got their doors blown off by German wagon that goes fast in the rain with driver that can actually see at night in said heavy rain. Don't be an idiot, just get over and admit that you shouldn't be on the road. I have been up since 0700 west coast time and just flew 177 pax from JFK. Its hour 15 of my day. I've got no sympathy for your "I'm not comfortable driving at night" woman driver BS. Park yourself in the 4th lane from left, and just react to traffic which is the limit of the capability of your senses.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Oh man, perfect setting tonight coming home to Whidbey from Seatac. Fairly heavy rain, everyone here drives like an idiot and decides the left lane is the safest place to be. Turns out they got their doors blown off by German wagon that goes fast in the rain with driver that can actually see at night in said heavy rain. Don't be an idiot, just get over and admit that you shouldn't be on the road. I have been up since 0700 west coast time and just flew 177 pax from JFK. Its hour 15 of my day. I've got no sympathy for your "I'm not comfortable driving at night" woman driver BS. Park yourself in the 4th lane from left, and just react to traffic which is the limit of the capability of your senses.
I see the Tesla self-driving vehicles as an aspirational goal to live like Princess Margaret.

Nothing wrong with it per se, but it's not necessary, slightly decadent, and ultimately bad for you. I don't care what Elon says...😁

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Huh? Maybe the sarcasm was over my head there. @Hair Warrior was talking about EVs being environmentally sustainable, and your post was about the USG putting its thumb on the scale to make them revenue positive for automakers.

Until we actually start looking at the parts of the problem that aren’t sexy, and don’t fit neatly into election cycles and Wall Street agendas, the actual environmental issues will not be improved, and will probably continue to get worse due to increasing material consumption, proprietary parts that can’t be recycled, and reliance on aging coal plants and crumbling infrastructure because nobody can build anything new without pissing off the Sierra Club.

But hey, at least the coastal elites can virtue signal their empathy while driving their EVs to the next pro-Hamas rally.
:mad:
The bigger strategic issue is reliance on foreign imports for energy. EVs are a step toward divorcing us from external sources... 2nd or 3rd order environmental impacts be damned. It helps that it's easy to sell EVs as environmentally friendly even though the life cycle of their parts are anything but.

The debatable issue is whether this advance should come from government subsidies or letting businesses figure it out over a longer timeline.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I think automation is a mixed bag. Here's my bumble.com profile:

Turn-ons:
  • Cruise control (basic)
  • ECUs, fuel mixing logic, etc.
  • Anti-lock brakes
  • Traction control (for daily driving, should be selectable off)
  • Automatic wipers
Turn-offs:
  • Most forced-on higher logic
    • Adaptive cruise control
    • Front-assist (I find VW's a bit overactive)
    • Lane keeping
  • Automatic transmissions (while my DSG is much faster than I am, it can't anticipate my downshift needs)
  • Auto-on parking assists (my car beeps and dials down music volume for all kinds of nonsense)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

How do you plan to pass the solid wall of cars that is going right about 55 right in front of you as you head south on I-5? The PNW remains the only place in the world I've been where it seems like a majority of folks regularly drive under the speed limit on the highway. The most maddening thing though was the rolling roadblocks of folks going 55 ± 2mph on 95 as I headed south or north, which I ran into at least half the time I headed to Seattle or Vancouver.