• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TERROR IN THE SKIES: Man tries to blow up NWA/Delta plane arriving Detroit

Cleonard19

Contributor
Atlanta TSA go out of their way to make military passengers not hate their lives so much. your own line, front of the line privileges if you're in uniform.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
That is my biggest complaint about the TSA - it is the illusion of security......
You got that right ... and it took me a couple of times of goin' absolutely bug-shit -- even to the point of gettin' the local 'HEAD-FED' down there and delaying the flight, i.e., the local HMFIC down there to sort through the TSA insanity -- to get any semblance of reality for my crew & I while going through screening -- and yet >50% of the pax were going through w/out even a second look ... SEA, SFO, and LAX immediately come to mind.

Mindless ... mindless .... insanity ...

The TSA people are not entrusted w/ making 'decisions' nor using judgment ... and as a result their presence is merely a speed bump along the road to Paradise for a 'real' terrorist. The TSA folks only understand 'zero-tolerance', which is just another word for non-thinking and/or one-size-fits-all ...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Been through 6 different airports on 2 airlines since this occured. Haven't seen any changes by TSA or airlines. Hawaiian hasn't made any changes to our international flights either. In fact, not a word to employees from the company, airport authorities, local cops or TSA. ALPA put out a 1 paragraph blurb saying "be vigilant". That's it.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
How does a guy show up at an airport and pay cash for a one way ticket with no checked baggage? No checked baggage for a multi-day/continental trip? Watching the news this morning...I'm going to F'ing choke someone if I see another fat chick on TV bitching that she is "totally apposed to full body scanners because it will violate her privacy"....

exhelodrvr

pilot
How much convenience are we willing to give up and/or increased risk are we willing to accept before we start profiling? ("We" referring to the controlling authorities.)

Seems that they don't care about the convenience, and they also don't really care about the risk, until "the unthinkable" happens. Probably at least twice.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Is your name on list of people not allowed into the UK because of security concerns? Was it a one-way ticket to the ski lodge? +1 on the efficient packing though, two weeks into two carry ons.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I just did a 2 week ski trip with 2 carry-ons across the country. :D
My Aussie relatives just arrived w/ two surfboards ... don't know whether or not they 'checked 'em' ...

Shortly after 9/11 ... the TSA/FAA/FED 'approved list' of carry-on items did NOT include fingernail clipper files ... but it DID include baseball bats and hockey sticks. :D

I shit you not.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
My Aussie relatives just arrived w/ two surfboards ... don't know whether or not they 'checked 'em' ...

Shortly after 9/11 ... the TSA/FAA/FED 'approved list' of carry-on items did NOT include fingernail clipper files ... but it DID include baseball bats and hockey sticks. :D

I shit you not.

It's a mad world out there.

CAMike

None
Contributor
I've read a few good posts about this subject here today. Good ideas for sure.

That said, I find it a little dissapointing that the current administration is quick to say the things such as "Obama says info on suspect in jet plot wasn't properly shared between agencies, calls it a 'systemic failure'". But no one is talking about holding folks accountable for their on the job performance. Most people truly understand that the TSA is a fairly inefficient organization due to their less than acceptable headwork but we're coming up on ten years since 9-11. Look- accountability is pervasive in the private sector. Should the TSA be 100% privatized at all sites or should we simply continue to stick the pacifiers in the publics mouth for knee jerk staisfaction?

I certainly don't have the answer but maybe someone here has an idea for a more effective screening process and or deterrent. Any other ideas?