• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Terrible first attempt...any shot at doing better?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Look on the bright side. Now you know what to expect and what to work on. The ARCO book is apparently good gouge. I didn't use it, but I've heard great things. Also, sit down and scribble down as much as you can remember about the ASTB. Types of math problems, mechanical problems, aviation questions that you remember, etc. Do it now while it's fresh in your mind. Analyze the shit out of the test. Once you've done that, study/practice those types of questions. If you remember it having a lot of math word problems on there, practice the shit out of word problems. Use that ARCO book, get SAT/SAT II math books, seek help from professors, whatever it takes.

Another little piece of advice that is rarely given out: take as many practice tests as you can. They don't have to be ASTB practice tests. SAT, SAT II, ACT, GRE, whatever. Even if the subject matter doesn't exactly correlate, you will get better at taking standardized tests. It's an acquired skill, just like anything else. There are also some 'techniques' for taking standardized tests that you can find online or in test prep courses. For example, if I don't know how to solve a math problem within the first five to ten seconds of reading the problem, I'll move on to the next question. I'll bang out the easier problems (which are usually worth the same number of points) and then come back to the difficult ones if I have time. There's no sense in sitting on question 3 of 25 for ten minutes if I only have 25 minutes to complete the section, right? There are tons of little tips and tricks like that out there, so get your Google-fu on.

Happy studying.

exNavyOffRec

They Actually weren't LORs but character references. So I just provided their names and numbers, but I'll need new ones? I'm not applying for the avaiton board this time obviously since my scores are so low but I am applying for SWO. I'm really trying in school now so hopefully they'll see the drastic improvement. School was never my thing but it was cause I was lazy, which is all on me. I appreciate the feedback! Where in the application do I state I'm an eagle? Would it be the motivation statement?

You could put it in clubs, or applicant remarks and in your motivational statement and talk about being part of a team, community service you did as part of scouts, and so on.

They like to see LOR within 6 months, now my guess is those names and numbers your recruiter were given have been sent LOR's to fill out.

SWO is very competitive this time around, NRC is estimating 15 selections at the April board.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
So I just took the test today. I received a 1/1/2 36.
short-bus-special.jpg

Futureaviator90

Look on the bright side. Now you know what to expect and what to work on. The ARCO book is apparently good gouge. I didn't use it, but I've heard great things. Also, sit down and scribble down as much as you can remember about the ASTB. Types of math problems, mechanical problems, aviation questions that you remember, etc. Do it now while it's fresh in your mind. Analyze the shit out of the test. Once you've done that, study/practice those types of questions. If you remember it having a lot of math word problems on there, practice the shit out of word problems. Use that ARCO book, get SAT/SAT II math books, seek help from professors, whatever it takes.

Another little piece of advice that is rarely given out: take as many practice tests as you can. They don't have to be ASTB practice tests. SAT, SAT II, ACT, GRE, whatever. Even if the subject matter doesn't exactly correlate, you will get better at taking standardized tests. It's an acquired skill, just like anything else. There are also some 'techniques' for taking standardized tests that you can find online or in test prep courses. For example, if I don't know how to solve a math problem within the first five to ten seconds of reading the problem, I'll move on to the next question. I'll bang out the easier problems (which are usually worth the same number of points) and then come back to the difficult ones if I have time. There's no sense in sitting on question 3 of 25 for ten minutes if I only have 25 minutes to complete the section, right? There are tons of little tips and tricks like that out there, so get your Google-fu on.

Happy studying.
Thank you for the advice. I'm just going to learn from this experience. I guess the reason I thought I could do decent was cause I did it with the SATs and received a decent score. Obviously not the case here and was not a smart choice on my part.

And to the guy below me...good one.

Icysheet

Pro rec'd SNA
There's tons of good gouge on this website. Download everything you can find (Marine Gouge, etc.) and head to the bookstore and buy one of the study guides. I tried to find the ARCO one at Barnes & Noble and couldn't find it, so I bought the Barron's ASTB Prep guide. Gather all the gouge, sit down, and read everything front to back a few times. Do all the practice questions in each chapter and then take every practice test you can find and actually time yourself. Give yourself only the amount of time you'll actually get while taking the test.

I did all that for about two weeks before taking the ASTB and managed a 61 8/8/8. The most difficult thing about the test is the time constraint. Learn to do the questions quickly and you'll have a great shot at a great score. Good luck!

exNavyOffRec

The new ASTB rollout date is June 1st, the did the preliminary test and now just need to get all the paper copies back before the rollout can begin, it will have 5 sections.

pdizzle

The new ASTB rollout date is June 1st, the did the preliminary test and now just need to get all the paper copies back before the rollout can begin, it will have 5 sections.

How is the new test different?

Will old ASTB scores become obsolete?

exNavyOffRec

How is the new test different?

Will old ASTB scores become obsolete?

The old scores will still be valid unless the person takes the new version.

This is a complete revamp, the basis is still the same, apptitude, but new way taken, more time involved.

docloves

Has anyone taken the computerized one? The majority of what I'm reading is the paper test. I'd like a little insight on what the layout looks like because I was told that you cannot go back once you answer.

exNavyOffRec

Has anyone taken the computerized one? The majority of what I'm reading is the paper test. I'd like a little insight on what the layout looks like because I was told that you cannot go back once you answer.

The computer one is supposed to be the only one given now except in case of extreme circumstances, and even those are being yanked back, I have had all my guys take the computerized one and 90% get over 50.

jpa140

The computer one is supposed to be the only one given now except in case of extreme circumstances, and even those are being yanked back, I have had all my guys take the computerized one and 90% get over 50.

Any word if the NRD in San Diego changed to the computer version? Last time I took it in Oct. 2011 it was on paper?...

exNavyOffRec

Any word if the NRD in San Diego changed to the computer version? Last time I took it in Oct. 2011 it was on paper?...
you have got to be kidding me? they are still on paper? there have been people that have missed boards because they took the paper exam and the results were rec'd back in time.

If they aren't on computer yet they will be very soon as the new version is ONLY available on computer.

LLLLL

I took it in Nov at the SD branch and it was paper there too. Called the contact point in Fl about four times in a week and eventually got my results early.

docloves

The paper one is still around. I have a friend that just took the paper one in San Diego for the second time sometime last week. NavyOffRec, thank you for the stats on the computerized one. It makes me feel better about taking the test.