• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Terrible first attempt...any shot at doing better?

Futureaviator90

So I just took the test today. I received a 1/1/2 36. Now I know this is horrible. However, I did not study at all because I'm taking 22 credit hours and working 35 hours a week. The recruiter told me to take the test anyways and prepare for a 2nd attempt at OCS. This will show that I am truly interested and can perform better.

I'm just wondering if I did this poorly, do you think its possible that I can get above a5 on each section and above a 50 OAR?

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
I'll let you in on a secret before the dogpile begins. Use the search function and it will be your friend. There is an untold amount of good to awesome gouge for the ASTB here. Heed it and your scores will no doubt improve. I used a lot of the guides provided here and the practice tests from the ARCO book and I scored 7/8/8 55. I am by no means a genius; so it can be done.

You will get people that say the ASTB is geared as an aptitude test. But there are some sections that cannot be innate knowledges. Study as much as you think you need, which, I would venture to guess is a lot.

Good luck.

exNavyOffRec

Part of it is apptitude so you may not just have the apptitude that it takes for aviation, I have seen guys with excellent GPA's bomb the aviation section, in over three years the most I have seen a score increase on the aviation section is 3 points

also the new ASTB is coming out this month? or so they say, rumor is it is more involved.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
I retract my statement about aptitude. NavyOffRec being the resident authority and all...

exNavyOffRec

I retract my statement about aptitude. NavyOffRec being the resident authority and all...
The weirdest score I say was from a Mech Eng 3.6 something GPA had an OAR of 62 or 63 and scored 2's and 3's on the aviation section, never knew that was possible.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
I guess that candidate should have studied more. Did that person re-take and score higher after some remedial studying?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So I just took the test today. I received a 1/1/2 36. Now I know this is horrible. However, I did not study at all because...

Blah blah blah with a BS excuse.

A (some would say tough) entrance exam for a competitive profession and you took it without studying? Come on dude. If you knew you would do poorly why did you take it? Don't be afraid to tell someone no if you aren't ready. Ultimately the only person who cares about you and your career is you. Everyone else has their own agenda.

jtmedli

pilot
Don't be afraid to tell someone no if you aren't ready. Ultimately the only person who cares about you and your career is you. Everyone else has their own agenda.

^ Probably the best advice you'll get on this forum. It's your career at stake and not theirs. That statement applies on a daily basis even after you're 'in'. If it don't look right or smell right and you're not comfortable with it OR if you just dont think something is being handled correctly, then speak up.

BackOrdered

Contributor
So I just took the test today. I received a 1/1/2 36. Now I know this is horrible. However, I did not study at all because I'm taking 22 credit hours and working 35 hours a week. The recruiter told me to take the test anyways and prepare for a 2nd attempt at OCS. This will show that I am truly interested and can perform better.

I'm just wondering if I did this poorly, do you think its possible that I can get above a5 on each section and above a 50 OAR?

Like someone said, buy the ARCO book and study like it's the bar exam. I was working and going to school too but I wasn't seen without my ARCO book at all times. Good luck!

Futureaviator90

Blah blah blah with a BS excuse.

A (some would say tough) entrance exam for a competitive profession and you took it without studying? Come on dude. If you knew you would do poorly why did you take it? Don't be afraid to tell someone no if you aren't ready. Ultimately the only person who cares about you and your career is you. Everyone else has their own agenda.

It defiantly is a BS excuse. But I'm not trying to use at as an excuse. Well kinda. I'm just wondering if receiving that score on my first attempt without studying and havent taken a math class in a few years, is it still possible to get really good score, or does it seem more like my aptitude is not there to be a aviator as Navyoffrec stated earlier?

I've already started studying for my 2nd attempt and I'm not using school and work to stop me this time. I'll be the first one to admit that I slacked and did not take it seriously and thus didn't deserve a good score. I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

exNavyOffRec

Study and see what happens, you have nothing to lose and you could be the guy that has an incredible jump, I will be passing on info on the new exam as soon as it is released.

What are the rest of your stats? degree, GPA, etc.....

Futureaviator90

Well that's another problem. Major is international business and gpa is a 2.9. I did however get a 3.7 last semester and currently have a 3.7 this semester do far. I do have a lot of leadership experience, which includes getting my eagle scout. I also have a lot of high ranking navy officers as recommendations. So hopefully that will all help. I know it's not as important as gpa and test score, that's why I'm working on my gpa and starting on my test score.

exNavyOffRec

Well that's another problem. Major is international business and gpa is a 2.9. I did however get a 3.7 last semester and currently have a 3.7 this semester do far. I do have a lot of leadership experience, which includes getting my eagle scout. I also have a lot of high ranking navy officers as recommendations. So hopefully that will all help. I know it's not as important as gpa and test score, that's why I'm working on my gpa and starting on my test score.
If you could get your GPA over 3 that would help, you have time to get LOR's since the next board you can apply to would be Oct/Nov so you will need new LOR's, and get LOR's from every employer, and people that have seen you do community service, or professors that you did well in their class.

I have yet to have an applicant that was an eagle scout get turned down.

Futureaviator90

They Actually weren't LORs but character references. So I just provided their names and numbers, but I'll need new ones? I'm not applying for the avaiton board this time obviously since my scores are so low but I am applying for SWO. I'm really trying in school now so hopefully they'll see the drastic improvement. School was never my thing but it was cause I was lazy, which is all on me. I appreciate the feedback! Where in the application do I state I'm an eagle? Would it be the motivation statement?