• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Terrible first attempt...any shot at doing better?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
If you get in, you have some good motivation for people who ask you for advice. "Dude, don't sweat it...I got 1's and 2's."

mid1510

So I just took the test today. I received a 1/1/2 36.

Not trying to sound like a dick, but are you sure the computer isn't broken or something? If you have ANY background in math and science (I'm assuming you've taken high school and lower level college courses) , your scores should be above that. You may want to look into taking the test somewhere else...

MidWestEwo

None
Not trying to sound like a dick, but are you sure the computer isn't broken or something? If you have ANY background in math and science (I'm assuming you've taken high school and lower level college courses) , your scores should be above that. You may want to look into taking the test somewhere else...

That's what I was thinking. I was a psychology major with no background in math besides Algebra in high school. I did the leg work and actually studied for the test, but it was not a test at all geared towards me. You are definitely a lower end outlier with scores that low. It very well could be a computer issue. That being said, did you at least feel like you were doing well? I had a 62 7/7/7 with moderate studying only with the material found on this site. I was also taking 21 credits in school and working 35 hours per week. If you didn't feel like this application was worth at least cracking one book for, do you think you should even be applying?

Futureaviator90

That's what I was thinking. I was a psychology major with no background in math besides Algebra in high school. I did the leg work and actually studied for the test, but it was not a test at all geared towards me. You are definitely a lower end outlier with scores that low. It very well could be a computer issue. That being said, did you at least feel like you were doing well? I had a 62 7/7/7 with moderate studying only with the material found on this site. I was also taking 21 credits in school and working 35 hours per week. If you didn't feel like this application was worth at least cracking one book for, do you think you should even be applying?

To be honest, I thought I did a lot better than the score I received. The math was not that hard, but when it came to questions that needed long division I was kinda screwed. The reading comprehension I thought I aced. Mechanical I though I did alright on. And then the aviation part I think I did 50/50. I was really shocked to see the score that low. To answer your last question I should not have been applying at the time I was. Like I've been saying, I take full responsibility to not saying that I was unprepared to take the test. I graduate in one week and after that it's going to be nonstop studying for this test. I want to prove everyone wrong.

SixNapoleons

On the computer I was using you could go back once you answer. They even made it really easy to tell which ones you'd skipped without answering.

Dominic Truehart

Final Select SNFO
I'm taking the ASTB for the first time tomorrow morning (New Orleans). I was under the impression that the paper version wasn't used any longer, am I incorrect in that assumption?

Rev

pilot
I'm taking the ASTB for the first time tomorrow morning (New Orleans). I was under the impression that the paper version wasn't used any longer, am I incorrect in that assumption?

I'm out of NRD New Orleans. I took the ASTB there about 3 months ago and it was the computer version.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
There are some recruiters who encourage applicants to take the test cold. Mine did this as well, although getting straight 1s takes a special talent.

Straight and simple: OP you need to find time to study. If you can't find time, it's not important enough to you. There is no magic formula, just effort.

The old scores will still be valid unless the person takes the new version.

This is a complete revamp, the basis is still the same, apptitude, but new way taken, more time involved.
I just took the new ASTB on Tuesday, and even with the ARCO book, the baron's MFAT, and Officer tests for dummies, there were mechanical questions that were not covered in the books. There were more science specific questions than I thought there would be, and very few 'gear A goes with what gear,' type questions. Is there any information that can be passed down as far as the other versions of the test go?

jpa140

NavyOffRec,

Coming from San Diego, any reason why they are still using the old paper version? I called them this morning.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I just took the new ASTB on Tuesday, and even with the ARCO book, the baron's MFAT, and Officer tests for dummies, there were mechanical questions that were not covered in the books. There were more science specific questions than I thought there would be, and very few 'gear A goes with what gear,' type questions. Is there any information that can be passed down as far as the other versions of the test go?

Do you recall what types of questions were "out of left field" for you in the mechanical section?

Do you recall what types of questions were "out of left field" for you in the mechanical section?
Hello asheldon917,
The biggest things that surprised me were the questions that specifically asked about the conversions of joules, volts to ampres and ohms. The big thing to focus on in the study books is the use of pullys, and how much force or Kelvins needed to pull up a specific weight.