• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tea Parties

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
The only folks who seem to be taking the tea baggers seriously are fellow tea baggers. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are angry about being taxed (especially a 3% increase in taxes on the wealthy...who wouldn't be incensed about that?), so good on them to go out and protests. I'm sure the kooks with crazy signs are a minority, the same way kooks in any "protest" are the minority.

But this "movement" is being spearheaded by corporate lobbyists and heavily promoted by Fox News, so it doesn't pass the smell test as being truly grassroots. I don't think I've ever seen a "news" organization push protests so heavily. Maybe that is transparent, as the folks who are going truly feel overtaxed, and deserve to get that message out, but grassroots it ain't.

I just got off the phone with some family who work in corporate media.

What they're telling me is that a lot of democratic officials are actually quite nervous about the legs the discussion about tea-parties is proving to have.

Whether or not you agree with their message, it can't be denied that the message isn't being heard loud and clear that next November congress is up for grab again.
It is waaaay too early to figure whether congress is "up for grab (sic) again". As to whether it the "tax" issue has legs...it probably does, and the TEA parties do focus the subject so it makes it more difficult to push legislation through (though the Dems are so firmly in power, they will be able to get anything through).

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
The only folks who seem to be taking the tea baggers seriously are fellow tea baggers. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are angry about being taxed (especially a 3% increase in taxes on the wealthy...who wouldn't be incensed about that?), so good on them to go out and protests. I'm sure the kooks with crazy signs are a minority, the same way kooks in any "protest" are the minority.
Really? I'm not a teabagger and I take teabagging very seriously. Who wants to become a victim of teabagging?

But this "movement" is being spearheaded by corporate lobbyists and heavily promoted by Fox News, so it doesn't pass the smell test as being truly grassroots. I don't think I've ever seen a "news" organization push protests so heavily. Maybe that is transparent, as the folks who are going truly feel overtaxed, and deserve to get that message out, but grassroots it ain't.
Do you have independent verification of that statement because I don't see how every single one of these "tea parties" could be spearheaded by corporate lobbyists and Fox News. You did see the CNN reporter at the tea party right???

It is waaaay too early to figure whether congress is "up for grab (sic) again". As to whether it the "tax" issue has legs...it probably does, and the TEA parties do focus the subject so it makes it more difficult to push legislation through (though the Dems are so firmly in power, they will be able to get anything through).

Really? It's way too early? With an election in a little over a year and a half away....I don't think it's too early. Whatever though. We're both just sharing our opinions, right?

Also a question. Do you think all the people that are protesting are kooks or only some of the people protesting are kooks?

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor

While it's still early to figure out who is vulnerable and who isn't, if democrats lose the initiative on the "hope" principle and get bogged down in anger over taxation, and bailout corruption, their next couple of months will make them look like a big part of the problem.
First term representatives and ones from historically conservative districts that snuck victories this time will be especially sensitive to issues that appeal to the 'silent majority' such as those above.

Random8145

It is not the "wealthy." You bust your butt to make $250,000 or more a year, you aren't wealthy. You are just upper-middle class. You start making $5 million or more a year with a net worth $10 million and up and you're wealthy.

Also it isn't a 3% increase, it is an increase of 4.6 percentage points (35% top marginal income tax rate to 39.6%). That equates to a 13% increase I believe, this on top of state increases in taxes. Also when the Bush tax cuts expire, the capital gains tax reverts from 15% (already high by global standards) to 20%, a 33% increase, and the tax on dividends goes from 15% back to the individual income tax rates I believe (so the highest would be 39.6%).

And finally, it is not solely about taxes, it is about the excessive spending and borrowing.

People are not stupid. They can see what is going on in terms of money being spent and planned to be spent. Just because President Obama says he will reduce the deficit and debt doesn't mean he can or will, and his actions speak of the complete opposite right now.

But this "movement" is being spearheaded by corporate lobbyists and heavily promoted by Fox News, so it doesn't pass the smell test as being truly grassroots.

What corporate lobbyists? And what would corporate lobbyists have to gain from this? It seems to me that they just sprang up out of nowhere by various ordinary people organizing them and coordinating with each other. Remember the Internet is a powerful tool these days. For so many tea parties to occur in all the states means the people are saying something.

As for Fox News, they can be criticized for running ads for it, otherwise all they did was recognize it would be good for ratings and cover it.

I don't think I've ever seen a "news" organization push protests so heavily. Maybe that is transparent, as the folks who are going truly feel overtaxed, and deserve to get that message out, but grassroots it ain't.

I've never seen news organizations ignore protests so much and try to act so snide towards them.

And grassroots it is IMO, meaningless or not.

Bevo16

pilot
The only folks who seem to be taking the tea baggers seriously are fellow tea baggers.

"tea baggers"? Nice crude/insulting sexual reference. Way to contribute to the thread. -1.

But this "movement" is being spearheaded by corporate lobbyists and heavily promoted by Fox News, so it doesn't pass the smell test as being truly grassroots...grassroots it ain't.

Really? Maybe you can tell me where to send in to get reimbursed for my mileage?? Surely you can point to an example where Fox or these "corporate lobbyists" were paying for busing of protesters in like some kinds of conservative mirror of ACORN or moveon.org???

Really weak post Herc.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
"
Really? Maybe you can tell me where to send in to get reimbursed for my mileage?? Surely you can point to an example where Fox or these "corporate lobbyists" were paying for busing of protesters in like some kinds of conservative mirror of ACORN or moveon.org???

When Fox refers it as the "Fox News Tea Party" and sends their anchors as headline speakers, they are making no pretense of journalism. Not that CNN and MSNBC coverage was fair, but Fox is really taking the cake for destroying any veneer of journalistic impartiality.

Or are you suggesting that it was a grassroots movement that paid for all the speakers and stage setups? It's not like the left buses people against their will. One way or another, someone is funding the logistics of these protests. It's about as grassroots as cable news is journalism.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Timothy McVeigh was one man and one incident. I don't think you have the consistent threat of right-wing violence like you do left-wing violence......nor do you have to worry about abortion clinics being blown up in the way you do SUV dealerships in certain areas.

Ever heard of Eric Rudolph and Terry Nichols? Unfortunately it has not been one man or one incident. And there have at least 7 people killed in anti-abortion related violence since 1990 in this country, none from anti-SUV/green/leftist terrorism that I am aware of.

Domestic right-wing terrorism is a threat in this country, just like left-wing terrorism. Accept the facts for what they are, enough said.

"tea baggers"? Nice crude/insulting sexual reference. Way to contribute to the thread. -1.

Pot, meet kettle.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... $250,000 or more a year ....

Hmmm.... keep hearing that figure yet everything I have see is that is for a family of four, two wage earners ...... Single folks making around $95K or more will feel the heap more taxes. Having said that the Cap and Trade taxes will make the income tax look small.

But why not a debate? Why can some declare the debate over? I do not claim to know the answer but like to discuss matters. Why cannot I gather with others and discuss? I do read alot and most economists say that if the current deficit spending spree does not work our economic viability as a nation is at stake. Some economists say it will work, some say it cannot work. Does not that mean we should look at the issues?\

Serious questions.

Ops... forgot the disclaimer. The stakes are held by you young guys, us old guys are on the way out and not terribly affected. It is your future and you need to be engaged. Stop the one-liner, stupid slogans and discuss issues.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Hmmm.... keep hearing that figure yet everything I have see is that is for a family of four, two wage earners ...... Single folks making around $95K or more will feel the heap more taxes. Having said that the Cap and Trade taxes will make the income tax look small.

But why not a debate? Why can some declare the debate over? I do not claim to know the answer but like to discuss matters. Why cannot I gather with others and discuss? I do read alot and most economists say that if the current deficit spending spree does not work our economic viability as a nation is at stake. Some economists say it will work, some say it cannot work. Does not that mean we should look at the issues?\

Serious questions.

Ops... forgot the disclaimer. The stakes are held by you young guys, us old guys are on the way out and not terribly affected. It is your future and you need to be engaged. Stop the one-liner, stupid slogans and discuss issues.

I think people are pissed because they pay aprox 30% of their income on taxes. We get nickeled and dimed on all sorts of stuff and it adds up.

Random8145

When Fox refers it as the "Fox News Tea Party" and sends their anchors as headline speakers, they are making no pretense of journalism. Not that CNN and MSNBC coverage was fair, but Fox is really taking the cake for destroying any veneer of journalistic impartiality.

Wouldn't go that far. The vile stuff that was spewed by the other networks I think took the cake for destroying any veneer of journalistic impartiality, with how openly biased they were. I don't remember Fox being openly for or against the tea parties, it was Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, and Neil Cavuto who went, but they are not journalists or hard news reporters, they host opinion shows.

Or are you suggesting that it was a grassroots movement that paid for all the speakers and stage setups? It's not like the left buses people against their will. One way or another, someone is funding the logistics of these protests. It's about as grassroots as cable news is journalism.

Conspiracy theory in the making:)

Ever heard of Eric Rudolph and Terry Nichols? Unfortunately it has not been one man or one incident. And there have at least 7 people killed in anti-abortion related violence since 1990 in this country, none from anti-SUV/green/leftist terrorism that I am aware of.

Domestic right-wing terrorism is a threat in this country, just like left-wing terrorism. Accept the facts for what they are, enough said.

Sure right-wing terrorism can be a threat, but I think it's way over-stretching it to imply these tea-party types are potential terrorists or extremists.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Wouldn't go that far. The vile stuff that was spewed by the other networks I think took the cake for destroying any veneer of journalistic impartiality, with how openly biased they were. I don't remember Fox being openly for or against the tea parties, it was Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, and Neil Cavuto who went, but they are not journalists or hard news reporters, they host opinion shows.

fox-20090408-opposition2.jpg

Van Sustern is an anchor, is she not?
Or this Business News "anchor":

Fight the fascism, man. Or is that fight the man?

Random8145

fox-20090408-opposition2.jpg

Van Sustern is an anchor, is she not?
Or this Business News "anchor":

Fight the fascism, man. Or is that fight the man?

I don't think Greta is an anchor anymore, she does an opinion show too I believe. Greta I don't think was a headline speaker at any event either, was she? I remember she was one of the more skeptical ones about the tea parties even.

As for the anchor, I can't watch the video at the moment (slow internet connection) but if an anchor was openly for the tea parties, that's wrong, but I do not see how it makes Fox somehow less credible than the other networks that were so opposed to them.

m26

Contributor
I do not see how it makes Fox somehow less credible than the other networks that were so opposed to them.

Random, I'm curious, how much time have you devoted to watching Fox, MSNBC, and CNN on this issue?

I can't really comment on the coverage, since I'm low-stress and avoid things that will make me mad (cable news). I've only caught a few minutes. I wonder how you know so much about the relative coverage of these events. (Is it just procrastination from finals? ;))