• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tbs?

Crowbar

None
Michael W said:
We had about 5 of the almighty priors get dropped out of our company............you all better watch yourself!

What is it with you always wanting to act like priors aren't worth a ****?

1) If they're so busy shooting off at the lips "I'm a prior", chances are they went to boot camp <1 year ago and are just trying to act salty.
2) If you weren't so busy shooting off at the lips about how bad priors suck you might actually learn something from the good ones.

Crowbar

None
Michael W said:
if you knew the priors we had, namely in my platoon, you would understand the disassociation.

We were in the same company. I know exactly who you are talking about. And yes, that one...wow, don't get me started on him. It made me sick that he used to be a SSgt.

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
The Big Suck
Time Between Saturdays
Toddlers Being Saluted
The Body Softener

Actually even though I'm an Air contract and am looking foreward to P-cola I like TBS. The good thing about TBS (C Co over three months in so I think I have a little bit of insight here) is that you're doing something different all the time. Except for 3 weeks at the rifle range. :sleep_125 I mean we've gotten to fire the SAW (not so much fun to hump), 40mm grenade launcher, throw a grenade, get gassed with CS, blow up TNT and C-4, call in arty, and watch some F18s drop ordinance. And I get paid good money to do this. The BS factor around here jumped a lot this last week because our Co had over 30 heat cases during Land Nav final. I only got an 80 because I had to evac a buddy who wasn't doing too good. The only complaint I have is night land nav, that is definitely one big Haze Ex. When are we ever going to be wandering around in 1% illum with just a compass and no map? :icon_rage Prepping for FEX2 so I gotta head out. Still have to write my Def order.

Gunny

As far as the prior enlisted war....I'll say one thing...You had your good priors and your not so good(read s***ty) ones. The same is true on the Officer side. I wish TBS had a clep test. I could have been in and out in one day. They taught some good info there for newb's, but I pretty much didn't learn anything new there. Try as I might I could not break the chain of everyone waiting on "The Word" ...what a red ass. Now I know why some of my fellow Officers can't make up their mind. Back in my TBS class they would have meetings just to pass that there was nothing to pass. Smart eh?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Gunny said:
As far as the prior enlisted war....I'll say one thing...You had your good priors and your not so good(read s***ty) ones. The same is true on the Officer side. I wish TBS had a clep test. I could have been in and out in one day. They taught some good info there for newb's, but I pretty much didn't learn anything new there. Try as I might I could not break the chain of everyone waiting on "The Word" ...what a red ass. Now I know why some of my fellow Officers can't make up their mind. Back in my TBS class they would have meetings just to pass that there was nothing to pass. Smart eh?

~sniff!~ Brings a tear to the eye...

prior_devil

the memories....

Crowbar said:
Who can beat 2 hrs 45 minutes just waiting for the Plt Cmdr to decide to see the SPC? Followed by an hour and a half class from the SPC on how to pack our packs. That was a long Friday night.
Well, that brings back memories.....I HATE video games however during the times of waiting for "libo" while sitting around in our rooms from 1300 (after lunch) thru dinner then on up thru 2000 actually got me involved in playing the PS2. I will never forget Echo 2/5 getting "set too" at 11am by the Battalion then our CO waiting another 8 or 9 hours to call Libo and honest to God the wait for was absolutley no reason. But hey, thats why I wanna come back in, aaaaaah, those were the days.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
jmwSemperFi said:
It is unfortunate that some priors ruin the reputation for others, likewise it is unfortunate that some non-priors can't tell the two types apart.

True.....how true.

Anywho...
I thought TBS was great overall. I am a Marine. Being cold, wet, hungry, and muddy is what I signed up for. I love that trash.

The whole waiting on word thing is a good lesson methinks. Some guys just never get "it" and never realize that when they are in a leadership billlet they are working for their Marines, not the other way around (and as soon as they do start realizing that, the platoon WILL work for them).

I could go on and on with these lessons I think TBS teaches really well, despite having to do it in a sometimes painful and slow way. Heck, some guys are out in the fleet STILL doing things like they would have before they went to TBS. And that sucks. But others caught on.

There is a distinct difference in a Marine Officer when he leaves quantico-land. Most of them are about 10X less likely to get pushed around by BS than an Army/Navy/AF guy. You will see that all over the place. They also really do have better leadership ability.

I am not saying that all comes from TBS, but at least part of it does.

I maintain the best things I learned leadership wise @ TBS were things NOT to do, and those are every bit as important as what TO do.

Oh, and the field stuff was cool, too...haha.

ctusmc1999

TBS in a Nutshell

As an Instructor at TBS from 2001-2003 I can tell you that TBS is a great place if you enjoy time in a stuffy classroom and in the field. If death-by-powerpoint doesn't fancy you then the 1600+ hours of classroom time (similar to 2 year degree at a Community College) will be a tough obstacle to overcome. Just remember that there are 200+ other Lt's in your position so help each other get through it. It is called THE BASIC SCHOOL for a reason...it is very basic. You will quickly learn a wide variety of information about weapon systems, patrolling, and other squad and platoon level courses that every Marine Officer should know. Overall, the work is not difficult unless you spend your nights at the Bar (in the barracks) or out at the various drinking spots just out the back gate. Monday through Friday is work hard and the weekends are play hard. (Unless you fail Land Navigation, then you are at the mercy of the Instructors on Saturday mornings.) As for the field, I spent 260+ days a year or more in the field when I was there and after watching and instructing over 9 companies I will tell you that the time in the field is a release from the classroom torture and for most it is a fun and enjoyable experience. The 7-10 page 5 paragraph orders, typed, double spaced may be a pain the night before but if you budget your time you will do fine. I will say that if you do have the luxary to go to TBS in Delta, Fox, or any other company in the winter months, be prepared for frost bite and misery. If you can get out of going to TBS or from being in Frozen Fox company do it, only the instructors can have the luxary of a bonfire during the day of training. LT's get their chance for a fire at the end of the day, when the sun has gone down and the temps are in the negatives.
It is also a good idea to remember the basics. You are there to learn a little about a lot of topics, learn it, take the test, buy the tee-shirt, then move on. Don't get bent out of shape about one or two bad grades. Just push yourself and help others in your platoon out. A large portion of your overall standing is leadership (as it should be) and I have seen LT's with perfect test scores fail the one or two major billets they had because of lack of leadership.
For some TBS is a quick and exciting 6 months and for others it is like being stabbed with a very dull spoon. It is up to you to make TBS an good or bad experience. If you don't like the field you will not like TBS. So if you are a pilot or you have your hopes on becoming admin, you might want to bring a very large spoon. For the Grunts and other ground punders, you will love it...well until you get to IOC. (We'll save that for another discussion) If anyone has any questions about what I have covered my information is somewhere on this website. Good luck to you all and SEMPER FIDELIS!

Reactions: E5B

Taxman2A

War were declared.
CTUSMC- What did you instruct when you were there? How did you enjoy your time in instructor battallion? I'm sure it's going to be an interesting experience going through TBS yourself.

While I agree that you won't like TBS if you don't like the field I would also say that just because you like the field doesn't mean you will like TBS. Being treated like a 2 year old, playing games until 2300 friday evening, and sitting in your room for hours on end waiting for "word" were more the kinds of things that made the overall experience miserable. The knowledge I gained there has proved to be priceless though.

ctusmc1999

More

Taxman- I was with Engineer Platoon but I spent most of my time with the "Bullpen" on the hill. I was afforded the opportunity to be the first of seven enlisted Marines to complete the EIEP Program which allowed enlisted to instruct and write evaluations on LT's. I did squad level exercises (i.e. sand table exercises, FEX 1 and 2, Night and Day Patrolling, etc.) I learned so much from working with the other Officer Instructors and I definately learned a lot from the LT's. That's why I decided to become one myself.

Also, good point about the field. There is a lot of "Hurry up and wait" but that down time is a good chance to review class materials and keep up to date with the 5 paragraph order. I didn't realize that they are making LT's hand write them now, that sucks.

vso- When I was there, it all depended on what company you were with in regards to how much time you spend overnight in the field. Some companies had the LT's sleep over night the whole rifle range week, and some only spend FEX 3 and 4 overnight. I hope we spend a lot of time overnight in field.