• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tbs?

T-man

Someone else on the board said it pretty well "OCS is a 10 week interview" on whether or not you qualify to be an officer. Once you have proven that you have what it takes to be an officer, the next logical step is to learn to be an officer - that's what TBS is... where you learn the basics of being a USMC Officer. This involves leadership training and evaluation, basic leadership tactics, etc. But this is all info that I've gathered from reading the various sources of information that this great interweb provides... most of it provided right here on this site... I'll bet if you search/browse through the "TBS" section you'll find most, if not all of what you're looking for ;)

Hope this helps

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Think of it as 3 months of training crammed into 6 months.

The bars are good in Georgetown, Balitmore is good. You will meet some great guys and some valuable training but the pain level is high.

Crowbar

None
I would like to perpetuate what everybody told me about TBS before I went...

It's just a big pain in the ass.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Yeah, it really is 3 months of training spread out over 6. I don't know about everyone else, but my platoon was awesome. We had damn near 2/3 prior enlisted folks, and it just seemed like the worse we got treated, the louder and more obscene the jokes got. Which, of course, got us yelled at even more because we were supposed to be "tactical", so we laughed even harder. Eventually, our SPC just gave up and laughed along with us.

All that aside, though, there's a lot of great stuff to learn, so long as you don't take the BIGMAC attitude 24/7. But there definitely are times when it's great to be able to pull that card; really pisses off the ones who take themselves too seriously.

prior_devil

I've looked thru the OCS website and read plenty of stuff but I don't see too much stated about swim-quals or anything. I'm just curious if there is any swimming at PLC or TBS. I do ok at basic marine swim-quals (I always passed when I was enlisted)but I haven't been in the water for quite some time.

Crowbar

None
You do swim qual at TBS, not OCS. Same with rifle and pistol and gas chamber.
Officers have to be minimum CWS2. Flight contracts and certain MOSs have to be CWS1.

prior_devil

PS-I'm going to keep the TBS questions in the TBS room......I'd been spending so much time reading thru OCS/PLC stuff that I didn't realize that it was there. DUH!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whalebite said:
Which TBS did you go to? It was more like 12 months shoved into 6.

I guess it must depend on your general ability level. Mine is sh!thot so maybe that is why it flet so slow. You'll catch up someday maybe.
(I would put a smiley face here if I believed in them)

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
PSno23 said:
Yeah, it definitely seemed like 12 months (ok, maybe 9) shoved into 6.

I disagree. It felt like 2 or 3 months crammed into 6. Lots of waiting around.