• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS Living and Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccabe1919

How pricey is housing/apartments around the Quantico area? Does the housing allowance cover most of it if you are married? Is it better/feasible to live on base? And how long exactly is the school? Looking on the TBS site it only looked like it was 4 and a half months according to one schedule I was looking at. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Semper Fi

Jester

pilot
The average rent for an apartment in Quantico is around $800-850 a month. I lived at Stonegate Apartments in Stafford and was paying $835 a month. BAH for a married O-1 in Quantico is $1033, so you'll have more than enough. There is base housing over on mainside, but it is about a 20-25 minute drive from TBS. I was only about 10 minutes from TBS. Also, TBS is 6 months long, 25 weeks of training. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions send em. Good luck.

Semper fi,
Jester

mccabe1919

Thanks Jester, Now I just have to see if they take me. Keeping my fingers crossed everyday. Is TBS a pretty rigerous traing session? I've been to infantry training on the enlisted side which was only like 3 months. What is new and additional to prior field training in TBS that I will learn? Don't take this wrong. I mean it literally. I know there is so much more for me to learn when I get there.

jboomer2

We lived at the Point at Stafford apartments. They were very nice, but pricey. Housing is more now than what it was while we were there. Our apartment was 850/month. You will more than likely be charged an extra 50/month by signing a sixth month lease vs. a 12 month lease. If you don't mind the drive (about 25-30 min), Fredrickburg housing seemed to be a little bit cheaper. Houses to rent are very expensive. I know while we were there, alot of the married guys bought houses. I don't know how that is working for them now though. Woodbridge is a really nice town just North of Quantico and they had some nicer town houses not to badly priced. Good luck, Hope everything works out for you.

Jess

Loving and adoring wife of an Marine SNA!

jthorp

Hey Jonathan,
We went up to Quantico to check out apartments about a month before we moved. Most places don't know what they're going to have available until atleast a month before (because tenants have to give a 30 day notice). The people who seem to have the best luck getting apartments are those who show up the day they're moving, say they need an apartment and get one (we resorted to that tactic when we moved here to CC). I recommend living as close to base as possible. We lived in Aquia Terrace. It was about 15 minutes away, and my husband would have preferred to have lived even closer (like right outside the TBS gate-Onville Rd). Fredericksburg is definitely cheaper, if driving is not an issue with you.

Also. . you can try to avoid a six month lease to save money. .do a 9 or 12 month if you can. Who knows how long you're actually going to be in Quantico with IFS and such. Just make sure there's a military clause!

jthorp

A military leasing clause is an ammendment to the lease contract that allows you to break your lease early without penalty when you get orders to move. I believe it says you have to show your orders and give thirty days notice to the landlord. I've never heard of anywhere near base that didn't provide the military clause, but a landlord isn't "required" to carry it, so you want to double check.

Gonzodogg

I'm sorry that this has absolutely nothing to do with the current topic of conversation, but I was wondering how some of you changed the title under your name from "member" or "starting member" to "Applying for OCS" and things like that.

Again, sorry this has nothing to do with anything but I am really currious and I can't figure it out.

Thanks

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Gonzodogg, there's a thread called "Update the title on your post" and the webmaster can change it to whatever you write down. Has to be fairly short, but you can put whatever you want. Hope that helps.

jthorp

Gonzodogg,
thanks for asking about that. I've been wondering how to do that the whole time I've been on here, and just never thought to ask. .

On a related note, the best apartments I saw for the money were Stonegate off 610, really close to TBS. Our 1 bedroom at Aquia Terrace was $930, and Stonegate's 2 bedroom was $8-850. it had an income limit, though. A lot of apartments in the area have an income cap. .yes, if you make TOO much money, you cann't live there. We kept teasing that we made so much money we had to live in the ghetto. All the good places had the income limit. If you get the extra pay from being PLC, it's a big pain in the butt
banghead_125.gif

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Yeah... you are too successful, so you must be punished. My wife and I lived in Fredericksburg at the Manor at England Run. They were some of the nicer apartments around without an income limit. Its kind of funny in that area that if you make under a certain amount of income you can live in a luxury townhome for less money than someone not mooching off handouts can rent a "fairly nice" two bedroom apartment. Basically, apartment owners are given tax credit if they agree to set aside housing for lower income individuals. Oh well Lieutenants, work hard... people on welfare are depending on you.
Anyways, I think that Manor at England Run was charging around 850 a month for a two bedroom. They were going up though, last time I checked. Good news is, they will cooperate with a military clause. I suggest a year long lease with a military clause. That way you won't have to pay an extra $60 a month.

cmdell

How long was the commute from Frredericksburg to TBS. My wife and I are looking around trying to find decent housing at affordable rates, but I want to be close enough to TBS so I am not on the road all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.