• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

tbs libo

tbsalpha06

I'm at TBS Alpha co. right now. Have a question for those of you who have been through TBS recently. Basically my fiance is in school down in Winston-Salem which is just barely within our weekend liberty boundary. I've looked into it and it's actually cheaper to fly down there from DC than to pay for gas both ways in my F250. Not to mention a lot faster. Now I know that if we are flying out of bounds on the weekend we have to get permission from the company CO but this is in bounds. I'm wondering whether I should ask my SPC if I need permission to do this. The reason I am wondering is that I can see him saying that I do need permission, then I have to put in a written request 2 or 3 times every month before I even buy tickets which would be a huge pain in the butt. The flip side is that if I didn't ask him about it, the potential exists for me to get in a lot of trouble if the plane gets delayed/canceled. I don't see this as likely, I'm not a retard and obviously I wouldn't get on the plane down there if the forecast called for a blizzard in DC on the way back. Basically this is all arising because the liberty policy is unclear...can't tell if we need permission to fly, period, or only need permission if we want to fly out of bounds. Any guidance on this once would be appreciated.

Reactions: E5B

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are traveling inside the boundary, then why sweat it? It's on you to make sure you're back so plan accordingly. The rules are there to make sure everyone is back in class come Monday and although TBS is a school for officers, they are watching to see who can handle themselves with a bit of freedom. You need to take it upon yourself to get back (if flight gets delayed...rent a car or rent an economy car for the trip if your F250 gets such bad gas mileage) or fly her to DC area for some of your weekends or meet halfway. That said, it seems to be a lot of trouble for time you are at TBS, but if you have to see her, don't go asking for dispensation ahead of the fact unless your SPC is cool enough to take it in stride. If you can do that without appearing lovesick, then ask the question. The rule from OCS/PLC or whatever still applies..."don't stand out in a crowd or ask for special handling".

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In today's over ORM'd environment you should probably ask which really pisses me off. When I was in TBS our SPC was big into treating us like Officers (most of the time) he said Os dont have liberty limits, we are paid ot make decisions-be back at work ready to go is the bottom line.
The grunts still operate that way for the most part, the Wing not as much.

I hate to give yout his advice because the whole permission vs forgiveness advice is usually the way to go.

What he should do is have you drop one request and just update him via email or verbally when youa re executing it.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
ever thought about flying your fiance to DC and picking her up and just stayin in a hotel? might be less hastle, and not have to worry about a late flight or anything

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If your plane is cancelled, suck it up and pay for a 1-way rental car. As long as you're in bounds, don't ask permission. Don't skyline yourself unless it's absolutely necessary. My SPC, for ex., took a dim view of the weekend roadtrip crowd. As long as you're on deck ready to go on Monday, how you got there is your business. Just have a way to get back, and don't get into a car wreck at 3am.

KBayDog

I agree with phrog, but have to side with skid. It's a touchy situation these days.

If the liberty policy is unclear, get yourself over to Mike Co and get a copy of the TBS liberty instructions. Training commands sometimes have "different" regulations.

Aside from that, you need to get a feel for your staff before you decide to ask for forgiveness or permission.

No matter what you do, though, make sure you have a plan for everything.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur, you don't want to be the one who presses the envelope...like they say in the Cheers theme song "where everyone knows your name".

Then again, as much as you may feel she is the one, you are at TBS for a reason and that is not it. So make sure you don't come across as making weekly plans to see her seem like it's your top priority. If your grades or any other measure of performance are wanting, you don't want staff thinking you are distracted from what you are there to do.

Good advice for now and down the road is: try to see things how your superiors will see them, not how you may rationalize them. It's not as important to see yourself and your actions, but understand how others see you and your actions.

usmcecho4

pilot
At least at TBS out of bound chits exist. Once you get to API more than 350mi=leave not liberty. Sucks. Just go for it and be back on time.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Reactions: E5B

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Kind of along the lines of "If the minimum wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be the minimum," "If the libbo limits aren't the distance you're allowed to travel, then they need to change the libbo limits." The limits are based on safe driving limits; however, you can take a hot-air balloon or unicycle if you have a hankering, as long as you take care of your official duties and are back in time. Therein lies the rub. As long as you are doing well at TBS, go wherever you want. If your performance suffers, you'd better stay in. That's what an officer does: handle responsibility in a responsible manner.

Along with "Better to ask forgiveness than permission," is "Don't ask questions you don't want answers to." The SPC would probably rather you NOT ask him, thus sparing him the quandary. It all comes down to your impression of the command climate, but I really hope that everyone isn't p-whipped in Quantico.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
, but I really hope that everyone isn't p-whipped in Quantico.

Hmmm the rest of the Marine Corps has been beaten with the ORM your libo stick and you cant get any closer to the flagpole than Quantico but here's hoping.