• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS Endurance Course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
I recently heard a Marine Officer say that 60-70% of his class failed the E-course at TBS the first time they ran it. My question is this- what happens if you cannot complete the course on time? Are you required to run it over and over again until you someday pass- or is the failing grade just averaged into your overall GPA?

Not trying to sound unmotivated, and I know that failure isn't an option anyways, this is just for my own curiosity's sake.

Semper Fi

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
you will run the e-course until you pass.. if your company graduates, then you will stay in mike company and run it until you pass. and quite a few people do fail their first attempt.. i just practiced at it alot. i started running half of it with no pack a few times, then ran the whole thing, then ran with a light pack, then ran with the full pack and helmet.. i didn't really do much else for cardio before the first one and i did pretty well.. you just have to figure out how fast to run and when to walk.. which is actually alot. if you find yourself going up a hill and you're not walking, then you're probably wrong....

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Good info Splendid Splinter, thank you.

I'm going to train my ass off right now then (not that I already haven't been, but thats extra motivation). I remember the one at OCS... VIVIDLY, and I WILL pass on my first attempt at TBS.

For training purposes then-
how long is the course? I believe I heard 5.8 miles but I'm not sure...

more importantly- what gear do you have to run it with?
Boots, Uts, M-16, 782 gear, Kevlar, Flack Jacket, Pack- how much weight in the pack? Is there any other gear I'm leaving out?

You say that you just ran it alot for practice- this gives me the impression that the E- course is open for practice whenever a motivated Lt feels like making the effort to run it? Is this true? If so that's outstanding. I just remember at OCS when we had Libo we still wouldn't be allowed on the trails at all. Also- is the O- Course open all the time for practice?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Yeah, the course is open whenever you want to run it. EXCEPT during certain times during hunting season (sometime around now). A bunch of the LT's would get together on the weekends and run it as a group. You have to run it with either one or two other people (safety).
Gear: I think was boots, M-16, flik/flak, kevlar, large pack, extra pair of cammies, full canteens and camelbak, I don't recall anything else being required in the pack. It wasn't much in the pack. You're allowed to sling your rifle as you wish too. Some people would strap it across the top of their pack, but one obstacle makes you climb through a window --- the rifle would hang up and they would have to take their pack off.
Splendid is right --- walk up all hills (quickly) and run your butt off going down all the hills. Jog on all flat terrain (there isn't much). I didn't train for it at all and did really well with this technique. The staff will tell you to do it this way too. It's pretty motivating. It rained on us (lightly) when we ran it and it just motivated me even more.
I think the first time you run it, you'll run as a squad (just to be introduced to the course). Then you'll run it a second time (time doesn't count). Then you'll run it a third time for real. But, if you don't pass the second time (the not graded one), they'll put you on remedial PT (evening and weekend PT sessions). We had an LT in our company that stayed in Quantico until August until she passed. She got Mono around the same time we ran it so she wasn't able to. Then once she got over being sick it took her a couple months to get back into shape to complete it in time. Moral of this story: if you pass it the second time (the one that doesn't count) and can't run the real one for some reason -- they may use your time from the earlier one and allow you to graduate. It'll be a consideration at least amongst your company staff.

Don't sweat it.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I'm curious as to what happens if something was to happen to you physically while at TBS. Like if you were in like week 15 or something and then you pull a hamstring real bad, or you break a finger/hand or something? Do you just sit it out til you can recover or what? Surely they wont send you back to week 1 day 1 will they? Thanks.

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
in you break in week fifteen.. you'll probably go back to square one.. sometimes there's a chance you could pick up nearly where you left off with the next company.. if you break real late, good chance you'll finish. thing is, you have to complete the 20 mile hump to graduate.. they are flexible with field exercises, though. we had quite a few that were laid up in hq during the war manning the radios and whatever..

as far as the distance of the e-course... there is no published distance. and you will here a hundred different guesses. doesn't matter. just plan on moving for awhile. 60 to 80 minutes..

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Hmm... this really does sound like "The Big Suck" doesn't it?

Well, anyone that signs up to be a Marine Officer is doing it because they desire to be the best... or better put- a leader of the best.

To ask to be one of the best and then complain when you are forced to push yourself to be the best is counter-intuitive. I'll try to remember that around mile 4 of the E- Course. :).

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I'm one of those that were laid up in the CP during the war. I broke my leg the Sunday before the war. I worked radios and was the "convoy" commander--working resupply and moving groups around in the field. The only other physical event we had left was the final PFT and they used my time from the initial, so that was good. They still made me Platoon Sgt (although I was on crutches with a cast up to my crotch) for the final 3 weeks. I did the battle field study in Gettysburg, etc. and not once was it mentioned I might get dropped to Mike Co. As long as you complete that 20 mile hump, there's not much in the way of injury that should keep you from graduating with your company. Unless it's completely dibillitating you should be fine.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
What week does the 20 mile hump come in?

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by EA-6B1
...injuries...

We just lost 2 Marines in FEX-1, both with broken ankles. Both because of the snow and the ice.

Our 20 miler is in week 11 or 12, which is next week.

...halfway done...

LAND MINES are equal opportunity weapons!!!

Jester

pilot
Our platoon just ran the e-course today. It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be. The first half is all running, with lots of ass kicking hills. The second half has all of the obstacles-a lot of rope climbs. But overall it isn't to bad. I wouldn't run it for fun though.

Starting to see the end...

Jester

Status
Not open for further replies.