• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS after OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
For you guys that went through OCS, what was TBS like afterwards? Did you find it easier (being prepared for it in some way) considering what you just came from, or was it just an extension of the pain? hehe. thanks.

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
I agree about it being dependent upon the staff – if you get Capt Hart, stand by.

At times, you will feel like a lieutenadate, but it is a very different environment. Bring your coffee pot, computer, printer, scanner, camera, and even some booze. When we first showed up everyone was worried about whether or not it was authorized – beer vs. hard stuff, bring it and they will let you know if there is a problem, again it will depend on the staff, just don’t advertise, your not in college anymore.

The best way I can think of to describe the transition is if you can remember the difference between a Sgt inst. Inspection and the Platoon commander inspection. Keep things squared away, but nobody is going to check the inside of your cover for IPs. The lieutenants run things (with the supervision of the staff of course) which is where a lot of the frustrations will come. There won’t be an angry Capt trolling your hallway, just a stressed out 2nd Lt trying to figure out the most efficient way to swab the decks. For the most part things moved along a lot slower, you’ll have time to work yourself into the training.

The transition in respect to the enlisted Marines was the biggest difference. They are not in charge of you, but they are there to support you and to teach you. Don’t expect a salute, but earn it.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Jboomer, you'll probably agree.....from a prior's point of view it was totally frustrating, because it's like being treated like an E-1 again, sometimes even an E-0...lol Good time managment will ensure you success at TBS.

Beetle

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Well, I just finished with PLC Sr's this summer, so here go the questions... We had a couple 2nd Lt's tell us about TBS in a "restricted" manner. They seemed to make a lot of "no comment" faces, so our questions weren't fully answered. One of my questions is about physical fitness. I run anywhere between a 19:30 and 20:30 right now. Basically, they told us that if you're not running under 20 mins, you'll be dropping out of every physical event. On the other hand, others say TBS isn't as physical as OCS and that it only encompasses 5% of your grade while there. I'm not trying to duck out on PT by any means, but wanted to clarify what the physical and mental environment was like in comparison to OCS. It sounds like the injuries incurred at TBS are far more serious than the average injury at OCS, leading me to believe that things are way more harsh at TBS. Any insight?

Peters1

I scored a 5.6 out of 9.9 on the ASVB (the test they give you in order to recieve an Aviation Contract for OCS). Does anyone know how people with that score have typically done at flight school?

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
wildflyin69 said:
For you guys that went through OCS, what was TBS like afterwards? Did you find it easier (being prepared for it in some way) considering what you just came from, or was it just an extension of the pain?
You better stand the f*** by! :(

Someone already mentioned, you're treated worse than a private! :confused:

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
The Body Softener

FrogFly said:
Well, I just finished with PLC Sr's this summer, so here go the questions... We had a couple 2nd Lt's tell us about TBS in a "restricted" manner. They seemed to make a lot of "no comment" faces, so our questions weren't fully answered.
They probably also gave you the, "You'll be sooorrrrrryyyy" look! :eek:
On the other hand, others say TBS isn't as physical as OCS and that it only encompasses 5% of your grade while there.
Another slang nickname as to what TBS stands for is "The Body Softener."

PT is almost done on your own. There will be a few organized PT sessions, but it's up to you to keep in shape and keep your PFT scores elevated.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
I'll agree with USMC Bebop... TBS really is the The Body Softener... You will do PT, but not enough to stay in shape, and the PT here is also kind of strange-- more focused on "combat conditioning" than running and pushups. So far I haven't been convinced that it works. Expect to come here and not do too much running (unless your SPC takes some extra initiative), and you might as well throw out your running shoes after the initial PFT, you'll be using boots and utes from there on out. The PT events here aren't too tough, you will run the double O'Course, (exactly like it sounds) and an Endurance course which in my opinion is easier than the one at OCS, even though it's longer and you carry more gear, because the grading is really pretty generous (80 minutes to pass, not too tough at all).

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
FrogFly said:
Well, I just finished with PLC Sr's this summer, so here go the questions... We had a couple 2nd Lt's tell us about TBS in a "restricted" manner. They seemed to make a lot of "no comment" faces, so our questions weren't fully answered. One of my questions is about physical fitness. I run anywhere between a 19:30 and 20:30 right now. Basically, they told us that if you're not running under 20 mins, you'll be dropping out of every physical event. On the other hand, others say TBS isn't as physical as OCS and that it only encompasses 5% of your grade while there. I'm not trying to duck out on PT by any means, but wanted to clarify what the physical and mental environment was like in comparison to OCS. It sounds like the injuries incurred at TBS are far more serious than the average injury at OCS, leading me to believe that things are way more harsh at TBS. Any insight?
Don't worry about TBS it will happen to you soon enough. Those Lt's probably meant if you aren't already in shape you will get worse because of lack of PT time. But there is plenty of time on the weekends and right after securing. the endurance course is easy to max even if not in shape. People break ankles running around the woods on land nav in the snow. But they just get recycled not like OCS where you're done.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
I appreciate all the good gouge. I was just interested in hearing a no-bull$hi+ assessment of life while at TBS. The only thing I really have to compare it to, in terms of officer training commands, is OCS. I've wondered how they compared to one another. Either way, I know it's going to happen. Hell, I'm ready for it to happen. - Just a little curious about the next step.

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.