• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Taxpayer wasted money: NMCI Windows 10 update

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Question for the group: Anyone able to share how much RAM your NIPR machine has? Can check quickly by going to Start -> Run -> type dxdiag and hit Enter -> read off whatever is next to "Memory" (total GB is roughly half of the listed MB number).
Corp laptop has 16 GB + i5, simultaneously runs
  • full office suite
  • adobe
  • teams
  • slack
  • outlook
  • multiple browsers with multiple tabs
  • noise reduction software
with no slowdowns. Fan doesn't even turn up most of the time.

Browser is helped by ublock origin + facebook container. There are similar solutions for edge. IE is right out.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I guess that's the real asspain - device management at scale is a solved problem, yet in >20 years of Navy affiliation I have yet to see them make it work.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess that's the real asspain - device management at scale is a solved problem, yet in >20 years of Navy affiliation I have yet to see them make it work.
It’s 2020, and they just recently figured out how to put the NMCI webmail servers behind a freaking load balancer. :rolleyes:

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Corp laptop has 16 GB + i5, simultaneously runs
  • full office suite
  • adobe
  • teams
  • slack
  • outlook
  • multiple browsers with multiple tabs
  • noise reduction software
with no slowdowns. Fan doesn't even turn up most of the time.

Browser is helped by ublock origin + facebook container. There are similar solutions for edge. IE is right out.
SSD or HDD?

ITs said we can put a second 8 GB stick in the laptops and a 16 GB stick in the towers, but that won’t fix the HDD sitting pegged at 100% with background processes.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
8GB is 4x the recommended specs for windows 10. 2GB should be more than enough to run the programs listed.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As another data point, just got my company laptop setup....PC with W10. Pretty sure it is a very similar machine to what NMCI gifted to the fleet........possibly better processing power, not sure. Anyway, everything works, it takes 3 seconds to turn on and log in, and maybe another 5 seconds to have everything up and running for remote work to include access to company intranet and shared drive. Shocked I say.....shocked :)

Hair Warrior

Contributor
As another data point, just got my company laptop setup....PC with W10. Pretty sure it is a very similar machine to what NMCI gifted to the fleet........possibly better processing power, not sure. Anyway, everything works, it takes 3 seconds to turn on and log in, and maybe another 5 seconds to have everything up and running for remote work to include access to company intranet and shared drive. Shocked I say.....shocked :)
Any machine will run that way when it's new. Give it 12 months of random software updates, switch out their antivirus, add some new, corporate anti-insider-threat monitoring software or mandatory VPNs and it will slow right down. Not necessarily to NMCI levels, but yeah, companies glob up their stuff too.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Any machine will run that way when it's new. Give it 12 months of random software updates, switch out their antivirus, add some new, corporate anti-insider-threat monitoring software or mandatory VPNs and it will slow right down. Not necessarily to NMCI levels, but yeah, companies glob up their stuff too.

They also don't tend to wait 15 years before investing in new machines. The productivity lost due to time wasted on old kludged up machines costs money.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Talked to NMCI today. For what it's worth, the guy I spoke with said ever since the W10 update, McAfee and some other security software I forgot the name of have a mutual bug where they kinda attack each other's processes on bootup, causing 100% disk usage until resolution.

Engineers for both companies apparently aware and hopefully have a fix released for the upcoming build release, but you won't find me holding my breath.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Talked to NMCI today. For what it's worth, the guy I spoke with said ever since the W10 update, McAfee and some other security software I forgot the name of have a mutual bug where they kinda attack each other's processes on bootup, causing 100% disk usage until resolution.

Engineers for both companies apparently aware and hopefully have a fix released for the upcoming build release, but you won't find me holding my breath.
10.gif

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
“Also, Dude, ‘bug’ is not the preferred nomenclature. ‘Undocumented Feature,’ please . . .”