• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo

jaerose

I've got one in the center of my back between my shoulder blades and I got accepted to BDCP and OCS with it. They just wrote down where it is located and described it in my file as an identifying mark. It could vary person-to-person.

JR

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
--Edmund Burke

"So long as there's a breath in me, that long I will persist. For now I know one of the greatest principles of success, if I persist long enough I will win."
--Og Mandino

rogerdoger

Im not prior enlisted though. Im coming from civilian status. They too described my tattoos as identifying marks in my MEPS physical. Should I be worried coming from civilian instead of prior enlisted?

rogerdoger

Is it possible to get a tattoo waiver, coming from a civilian status, with tattoos that show in short sleeves? Will they just say "NO WAY" or will they look at my whole package when deciding wether or not to grant a waiver?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as getting tatts after being commissioned being "frowned upon", I haven't had any of that response. I've had 3 done since I made O-2, and no one in any of my squadrons has said anything negative, quite the opposite actually. None of them show in any uniform though.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
On the same topic, does anyone understand why officers can't have tattoos that show below short sleeves and enlisted guys can?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Actually, it's a new Navy directive that no one can have any NEW tattoos that can be seen in uniform. It just happened a few months ago. Everyone had to go to medical and have their identifying marks inventoried. Gold teeth was also part of the instruction.

Hudson

I think you should ask your recruiter. Nobody here can give you as precise an answer your recruiter. I would guess that since the whole system is so backed up, and they are putting together a package for you, you must be in the clear. You will have to ask your recuiter though.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Thanks for the update, Gatordev. I was unaware of that, but I think it's a good idea to have the same standards.

SaiyanCivic

tatooes and SNA

ok, i have been wondering that if you have any tatooes that could throw you out for selection of SNA. i dont have any tatooes but would like to get a couple cause i am your typical sailor. what are the requirements for tatooes for SNA selection. i know oviously you cannot have any past the sleeves. i am just curious about this fact. please reply...

SKSR Lowe

riley

Make sure it cannot be visible if you wear a t-shirt. I know of one guy that had to go into the AF because the Marines would not let him in - his tattoo was barely visible above the neckline of a t-shirt on the back of his neck.

Another concern is that it may be possible to get hepatits c from the ink. this would show up on blood tests and may disqualify you from flying (I don't know for sure though - it just sounds like something they'd disqualify you for). Not to be your mom or anything, but if flying is that important, I'd just wait until after you started your training.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been winged for almost 4 years now, and since then I've had 3 done. It's no big deal as long as they aren't visible in any uniform. The only time the Navy ever notices is at my annual flight physical when they document any new work I get done. As far as hepatitis goes, make sure you do your research and go to a reputable shop.

I will say, make SURE it's something you want forever. I have have seen some truly terrible tattoos in the nav, and they don't get better with age. The worst had to be on a guy I did NROTC with. His name was Joe, he was prior-enlisted. On a whim as a new boot grad, he got the "Ugly Kid Joe" (remember that band? me either) cartoon kid on his back.

Also, DO NOT get anything military related until after SERE. It's just asking for extra "attention".

Fatboy

pilot
When I was in BOOST there was a guy in NAPS who had a tatoo of the midshipman anchor on his shoulder...how gay is that?