• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo questions

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Then you bring in this bullshit about Iraq....Trying to divert the attention... guys like you bring in an arrogant, holier than though attitude about it. You claim leaving but had to get in your parting shot with trash post above. Then the little airline interview parting shot in attempt somehow to prove your opinion...At least man up and be honest....the ego thing won't let you.
My, my, my ... I guess I hit a soft spot, yea-as???

I sent you a PM to ameliorate any differences of opinion between the two of us on this ridiculous subject. I thought that was it ... Officers and gentlemen and all .... and then I witness your personal and public attack on me.

My generalized STFU post (above) on the subject of tattoos had nothing to do with YOU personally ... e
vidently you think it's all about ... you??? On the contrary, it was an attempt to get back to what's important and what's worthy of discussion and disagreement.

You owe me an apology; and a public one, since your personal attack on my character was public ... as you didn't have the common sense or personal integrity to take it private, like I did.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
First off, if I wasn't considered a "class act" I wouldn't have been selected to be an officer to begin with... especially w/ the extent of the tattoo-age I've acquired over the years.

View attachment 5756

View attachment 5757

Secondly, yes, I'll admit I've changed my way of thinking about having as many tattoos as I do and have endured COUNTLESS painful laser removal sessions over a period of 4-5 years! That being said, a Marine Corps 3-star and both a Navy 2-star and 1-star I knew back at the Pentagon POAC said I should keep 'em. Not to mention a certain Navy O-5 (full body suit...yes FULL body suit of tattoos) who agreed. Now, tell me, how does one make it that far if "people are talking behind their back" and "they'll be THAT guy"?

View attachment 5758

I dunno, maybe I'm just an exception to the rule... but I don't think so. I've come too far to have only just 'beat the odds' that many times. This is a different day and age. Leadership and excellence are more than skin deep.

Nice ink.

joshmf

The type of tattoos a drunk PFC gets his first liberty at MCT.

Hey, I have a few of those! :D

I think what we're seeing here is the Navy/ MC changing its perception of tattoos, and becoming more in line with the mainstream perception. People who have been officers for 10+ years and those already retired seem to be against them or think they'll be an issue, while younger guys or current applicants don't seem to have a problem.

So go ahead, get inked, the Navy will change. :eek:

MasterBates

Here is my take.. 90% of you inked guys will not have an issue.. Except maybe you WGF :eek:

The problem is that you CANNOT control who you work for, and how they perceive stuff. While I have done plenty of stupid crap (as Scoob can probably vouch for) I was perceived as having an "enlisted wife" in that my ex did dumb things that generally only E-1 thru E-5 wives were doing. (bouncing checks at Commissary, making a scene at BMC when she had to wait too long)

I had a boss who was of the opinion that your spouse gets reflected on your FITREP, like it was back in the olden days (so I have been told).

I was told verbally that it affected my standing, as she would not set a good example for the JO wives when I am a dirty Hinge.

Perception is reality with many.. Most don't care about the tat's but if you do get one who does, there is not a whole lot you can do to change their mind. You have already been written off as "not future CO/OIC/Whatever" material in their mind.

Nose

pilot
People who have been officers for 10+ years and those already retired seem to be against them or think they'll be an issue, while younger guys or current applicants don't seem to have a problem.

Who writes the fitreps?

MB hit the nail on the head.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
First off, if I wasn't considered a "class act" I wouldn't have been selected to be an officer to begin with... especially w/ the extent of the tattoo-age I've acquired over the years.

View attachment 5756

View attachment 5757

Secondly, yes, I'll admit I've changed my way of thinking about having as many tattoos as I do and have endured COUNTLESS painful laser removal sessions over a period of 4-5 years! That being said, a Marine Corps 3-star and both a Navy 2-star and 1-star I knew back at the Pentagon POAC said I should keep 'em. Not to mention a certain Navy O-5 (full body suit...yes FULL body suit of tattoos) who agreed. Now, tell me, how does one make it that far if "people are talking behind their back" and "they'll be THAT guy"?

View attachment 5758

I dunno, maybe I'm just an exception to the rule... but I don't think so. I've come too far to have only just 'beat the odds' that many times. This is a different day and age. Leadership and excellence are more than skin deep.

That's a dark tat on your chest! I can't make it out. :D

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
It's a matter of what stands out in front office/DH minds when it comes time to draft FitReps and ranking boards. Once you're at the point where filling out Block 41 is about cramming everything into 12 lines instead of adding colorful adjectives to stretch it to 12 lines, you're not going to have to worry. Until then when you're rated much more on perception than real performance, anything that has a potential to negatively impact that perception you're just better off without.

Risk/reward - you make the call.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Spoken like someone who has never been a division Officer or CPO...

Another stereotype. My division chief of 3 years was the biggest dirtbag in the navy. He somehow had a DUI and still made chief, and then somehow went on to make CWO.

Nose

pilot
Didn't say you had to be stellar to be a divo/cpo, Ken. (Hell, I did it!)

My remark meant that anyone who had filled either billet for more than a fortnight would understand MasterBates' point. He wasn't busting on E-1's or their wives, just saying (correctly) that that is where 90% of problem children are.

You guys need to unbunch your panties...

MasterBates

KGF, when you have done the counseling, reprimanding, and general management for a division of 20+ men from age 18 to 49, get back to me on that.

Lets just say that an officer's wife causing the command to be called by commissary/nex/security is kind of rare.

It was a damn near daily occurrence for enlisted wives. The numbers play into that a tad, but on a per-capita basis, the O wives caused far fewer problems than the E wives.

Call me elitist, but on average, they were better educated, better upbringing.

Just how it is.

Flugelman

Contributor
KGF, when you have done the counseling, reprimanding, and general management for a division of 20+ men from age 18 to 49, get back to me on that.

Lets just say that an officer's wife causing the command to be called by commissary/nex/security is kind of rare.

It was a damn near daily occurrence for enlisted wives. The numbers play into that a tad, but on a per-capita basis, the O wives caused far fewer problems than the E wives.

Call me elitist, but on average, they were better educated, better upbringing.

Just how it is.

What he said... As a SCPO I had to stand duty watches at TW4 where we had to go with Base Security to any disturbance in Base Housing. You wouldn't believe some of the living conditions I would run into (picture a "Cops" show). Not knocking Enlisted folks, (I wuz one) but as MB said, most of those kind of problems come from the enlisted ranks. I have known a couple of dirtbag officers,(personal acquaintenances) but those are rare.