• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Talk to me about the Prowler community

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
eddie said:
So... you are taught one way and are expected to perfect another? Or has the actual method of approach changed entirely? Why can't you be sure of where you are if the ball is centered, but you can if its high? This is fascinating to me, but I don't understand some of the language/terms used.

The ball is a concentrated light source. To see a centered ball at the ramp, you need to be within 4 ft. To see a centered ball at the start, its 31 feet. So picture a cone that tapers from 31' to 4'. Now you can see a centered ball at the start to in the middle, and you think you're doing fine. However, you could be in the bottom half of this cone, and you don't really know. Next thing you know, you get in close and you watch the ball drop out the bottom. On the other hand, you can be in the upper half and next thing you know, the ball is rocketing off the top. Thus why it is important to keep the ball moving. If you keep bumping the ball up, you know you're in the upper half. If you see a centered ball and you give the jet three shots of alittle power to remain on glideslope, and you think you're fine, next thing you know you're overpowered and you're about to bolter.

(HAW) alittle high all the way will get an OK pass in TRACOM. 2 balls high on IFLOLS is (H). Hell, a HCDAW will will get an OK pass 7/10 times. From what I'm hearing, there seems to be a complete disparity between what is considered acceptable in TRACOM and what there is in the fleet. And of course, I would expect that. But what comes into play is what's considered an acceptable technique is completely wrong later on. And how should we know, we know nothing different from what we've been learning here.

Like I said, bouncing a ball from 2 cells high off the datums then freezing the ball wherever it was in close got me a damn good grade. "Never center a high ball in close." One of the 5 rules. Paddles said, follow the five rules and you will qual.

I don't know if the philosphy is different between IFLOLS and the FLOLS, but that's what we were taught. We have both lenses here at the field and after bouncing on the IFLOLS and full stopping on the FLOLS, the FLOLS made you feel like a ball flying god. Of course, then you go back to the IFLOLS and the stupid thing is moving all over the damn place. :icon_tong

B

Blutonski816

Punk said:
hmm, only three wires, I happen to be a firm believer in mr. 4 wire :icon_wink

Okay, just cause I wanted to be sure... and since I just now know that the Reagan has only 3 wires... which one do you try to hook now??

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Blutonski816 said:
Okay, just cause I wanted to be sure... and since I just now know that the Reagan has only 3 wires... which one do you try to hook now??

whichever one is furthest away from the ramp :icon_wink

alwyn2nd

EA-6B Air Force Pilots

Are there still AF pilots and AF WSOs assigned to EA-6B Squadrons? If so, are the AF pilots boat qualified? If not, were they ever CQ when first assigned to the EA-6B mission. I assume that would be back in the early to mid 90s. If anyone knows a little history about the AF role in the EA-6B let me know. Thanks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
alwyn2nd said:
Are there still AF pilots and AF WSOs assigned to EA-6B Squadrons? If so, are the AF pilots boat qualified? If not, were they ever CQ when first assigned to the EA-6B mission. I assume that would be back in the early to mid 90s. If anyone knows a little history about the AF role in the EA-6B let me know. Thanks.
Here's the history, when th e USAF decided to decom their EF-111 fleet, they werem left without an EA asset for their AEFs. Although the Navy has been providing EA-6B coverage thought the expeditionary squadrons, that capability is waning. The USAF has, as of about 18 months ago, stopped sending pilots to the expeditionary Prowler squadrons. Each Exp. Prowler squadron still has 3 USAF ECMOs, but tht will be phased out as the G model Hornet comes online. Historically, the USAF piots have not done CQ, although there has been one that did day CQ that I know of. USAF Prowler converts wil never go to the boat operationally, so there's really no reason to send the there.

Brett

Kolja

Git-r-done
Brett327 said:
I can't speak for other communities, but LSO isn't something you get to choose. The RAG in coordination with your ultimate fleet squadron will choose for you. As for "tactics pilots" we call them PTIs (Prowler Tactics Instructors) - Prowler version of Top Gun. There are usually only one, maybe two per squadron, and more often than not, they're gonna be ECMOs. Now, I wouldn't go as far as to say that pilot PTIs are rare, but I would guess 7 of 8 are ECMOs. Welcome to ECMO-centrism. Having said that, if you work your @ss off and the timing is right, it can open lots of doors for you (as you eluded). All the G model FIT team guys are PTIs and they have billets for 2 pilots and 2 ECMOs at the Rhino RAG in Lemoore as RAG instructors. You'll figure all this stuff out once you get to your squadron, but if that's what you're shooting for, then establish a rep as a hard charger, get into the ECMO side of stuff, then let your squadron PTI and front office know that that is what you want to do.

Brett

Actually, I think the proportion is closer to the fleet proportion - at least it was in my class, and there's actually 3 Prowler pilots on staff down here, out of 7 JO instructors (branch head don't count :icon_wink )

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kolja said:
Actually, I think the proportion is closer to the fleet proportion - at least it was in my class, and there's actually 3 Prowler pilots on staff down here, out of 7 JO instructors (branch head don't count :icon_wink )
I arrived at that figure with a quick once-over of the bubba list. Nothing scientific, but you get my drift.

BTW, where you been at lately? I get lonely around here fighting off the pointy-nosed bastards. :D

Brett

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Steve Wilkins said:
What a beautiful bird.....again, except when I'm trying to sleep!
What are you talking about, Steve? You're a shoe--you don't get to sleep! Just keep the wind over the deck! ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I can't speak for other communities, but LSO isn't something you get to choose. The RAG in coordination with your ultimate fleet squadron will choose for you. As for "tactics pilots" we call them PTIs (Prowler Tactics Instructors) - Prowler version of Top Gun. There are usually only one, maybe two per squadron, and more often than not, they're gonna be ECMOs. Now, I wouldn't go as far as to say that pilot PTIs are rare, but I would guess 7 of 8 are ECMOs. Welcome to ECMO-centrism. Having said that, if you work your @ss off and the timing is right, it can open lots of doors for you (as you eluded). All the G model FIT team guys are PTIs and they have billets for 2 pilots and 2 ECMOs at the Rhino RAG in Lemoore as RAG instructors. You'll figure all this stuff out once you get to your squadron, but if that's what you're shooting for, then establish a rep as a hard charger, get into the ECMO side of stuff, then let your squadron PTI and front office know that that is what you want to do.

Brett

We sent one of each to PTI in 128, kept it up for 3 or 4 pairs of guys.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Here's the history, when th e USAF decided to decom their EF-111 fleet, they werem left without an EA asset for their AEFs. Although the Navy has been providing EA-6B coverage thought the expeditionary squadrons, that capability is waning. The USAF has, as of about 18 months ago, stopped sending pilots to the expeditionary Prowler squadrons. Each Exp. Prowler squadron still has 3 USAF ECMOs, but tht will be phased out as the G model Hornet comes online. Historically, the USAF piots have not done CQ, although there has been one that did day CQ that I know of. USAF Prowler converts wil never go to the boat operationally, so there's really no reason to send the there.

Brett

To add to that, we had some pretty interesting AF types show up to fly the Prowler. I liked the variety and experince they brought to the squadron. We had a pilot who flew everything under the sun, an F-15E WSO and a few B-1 types. Ironically, one of the pilots in the RAG told me he had been given the choice between Predators (they have to be rated pilots or a Nav with a PPL) and Prowlers, he said he chose the lesser of two evils (he was an F-16 driver, or as Meat likes to refer to them, a FAG). The AF guys in my squadron were a really good bunch, though Brett had a slightly differnet experience..... :D

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Flash said:
To add to that, we had some pretty interesting AF types show up to fly the Prowler. I liked the variety and experince they brought to the squadron. We had a pilot who flew everything under the sun, an F-15E WSO and a few B-1 types. Ironically, one of the pilots in the RAG told me he had been given the choice between Predators (they have to be rated pilots or a Nav with a PPL) and Prowlers, he said he chose the lesser of two evils (he was an F-16 driver, or as Meat likes to refer to them, a FAG). The AF guys in my squadron were a really good bunch, though Brett had a slightly differnet experience..... :D

I heard about some 16 drivers getting the beloved Predator slot after a tour :eek:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
I heard about some 16 drivers getting the beloved Predator slot after a tour :eek:

Unfortunately for them those are not going to go away anytime soon, they just keep buying more and more UAV's, I know more than a few guys at work who wear AF blue and flew UAV's after flying a real plane. Funny, the Army, Marines and Navy just have E's or contractors fly them :icon_mi_1 . It is one area that is getting a lot of money though, they keep crashing them and they keep making them....

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Flash said:
they keep crashing them and they keep making them....

the pilots are hoping that if they keep crashing they'll run out of them so they can go back to a real plane
lol.gif