• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Talk about luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidrwmn

Brian-75,

Where in AZ are you? Did you ( or do you) go to school in AZ? I ask because I'm in Tempe( I go to ASU ).

- sorry if this post sounds a bit odd, my brain is on hold after all the studying I have been doing for midterms. :)

- spider

Edited by - spidrwmn on 10/11/2001 19:18:40

Edited by - spidrwmn on 10/11/2001 19:20:45

brian-75

Hey spidrwmn,

I graduated from ASU (east anyways) in May of '99. I in fact live at Ray rd and McClintock rd. So I guess I live a little close to you. How long have you been at ASU? Who is your recruiter btw? Mine is Commander Bentley in Downtown PHX. I understand that studying..hehe. When did you decide to go into the Navy? How did you do when you took those wonderful tests? The medical portion was just so much fun. My flying experience was a company down in Chandler municipal airport. Feel free to ask any questions of me or perhaps some time in the future get together and discuss the Navy and flying and what experiences we will encounter in the U.S. Navy

Brian

spidrwmn

Hey Brian,

I'm a junior this year ( history major), so I still have another 3 semesters before I graduate. I actually don't have a recruiter right now. Lt. Hudson ( in PHX) was my recruiter, but he left in August and I haven't been assigned another one yet.

I took the ASTB in Sept. but I only got a 40 and a bunch of 3's ( damn math!!), so I am retesting in a few weeks. I want to go SWO - but Dave's recruiter said it was full until 2003. So I am not sure how that will affect things.

I am hoping to get into the BDCP ( where they pay you to finish school), but I still have a ways to go on my app.

Definetly feel free to share any words of wisdom about the application process. I would really appreciate any additional advice. BTW- I am at Spence and Rural Rd, so we should get together sometime. It would be nice to speak to someone face to face for once.

Have you finished your application? If so, when are you going to OCS?

- spider

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Brian,

Ask if any of the instructors are prior military pilots. If so, that is a bonus. Also if they teach Aerobatics, do some spins and stalls. They are interesting to say the least. You can do these manuevers in a Cesna as well as an aerobatic plane. Just have fun with it.

Dave

brian-75

Hey spiderwmn,

Hey that is right by campus, I had some friends who lived just across from filiburtos on apache:) Funny thing, Lt. Hudson was my recruiter as well and then I got picked up by CDR Bentley. I am surprised you have not been reassigned a recuiter yet...strange. As for advice, study those books like the marine corps book for math/verbal and the other navy book for spatial. If you can pick up a book (rent it if possible) on naval terms such as types fo bouys and so on becuase if I remember correctly, there were a few questions on it. My scores were a 37 (was always bad at math) a 3, 4, and 2 5's...the 5's were in the spatial and I think Bio sections. The spatial portion helped in that I played a lot of flight sims on the PC as a kid so I understood to a degree what I was seeing. Practice is the best policy of course. As for my application, It got sent out this week (hopefully) to be considered. I have stated for OCS on the 13th of January but may push it back a little for a snowboarding trip I might be going on. The last year os going to be hard at school, not such much for classes (mine were easy as they were almost all group projects...I hope you get those) but you just can't wait to graduate and get into the "real" world so to speak. but good luck on you rmid-terms if you have not finished up with them. Of course I would love to get together sometime and chat about the navy and such things.

For everyone else who are pilots, a buddy's brother told me that the navy would not accept me as a pilot due to my age of 26, as the navy is looking for pilots of the age of 20-22. The brother was an enlisted sailor but had time on a carrier so he has a little experience about planes and such things but he has several flaws in his arguements but I would like to hear you r opinions of course. Personally I think he is wrong. :)

Brian

brian-75

Hey EODDave

Thanks for the tip of the flying manuevers. I will have to try them out next week but the flight was nonetheless fun as hell and can't wait to go up again (on a empty stomach of course!) :)

SNA Russell

Brian-75 - I've read that the cut off age for Pilot is 29. If you're older than that (when the time comes), you can request an age waiver. I've heard of a Marine Second Lieutenant starting API at age 32. Obviously, your recruiter would know best.

Rory

Dave Shutter

Brina -75

Official age cut-off is COMMISIONED and in the SNA pipeline before 27'th B-day!

OCS is 13 weeks: when's your B-day?

I'm 29 but you can get a waiver up to 31 but you need prior active duty service and I think they did away with the rule that let me get in, so it may be back to month-for-month now.

My brother was also on a carrier (back when we had an evil Russian Empire to play with, ah...the good old days) and most of the pilots he knew were surfer types with phys-ed degrees!

Dave

spidrwmn

Brian,

You got a 37 OAR?? I got a 40 and they suggested that I go home, study and take it again later ( which I am in a few weeks). They said that with my major ( history w/ a concentration in war and revolution) and my GPA ( 3.55) that I would need a higher score. Hmmm... interesting.
As for my recruiter, they always say they THINK it is probably CPO Haggard, but I haven't met him or ever spoken to him. Maybe I will when I go to PHX on the 26th.

- spider

Edited by - spidrwmn on 10/12/2001 11:29:14

brian-75

Yea I feel kinda lame with that score of 37. But I guess with my technology degree degree, some work experience, and my other scores of 4,5'as that I would be good to go because I asked them that same question when my test was graded and they told me it was good to be considered for pilot. As for the other posts, i am going to be 26.5 this december so I am going to OCS with enough time to be comm. before I turn 27. If I do get rejected I will retest immediately and resubmit my exam but would need the marine study guide as I can't seem to find it. CPO Haggard sounds familiar and I think he is about 5'7 or so but I do not know for sure. Thanks for all the responses to my questions guys!! I definitely can't wait to go flying next week!!!

Brian

marcb747

I want to go SWO - but Dave's recruiter said it was full until 2003. So I am not sure how that will affect things.

Spiderwmn,

My package just went out and also put in SWO as a third choice. My recruiter however did say that SWO slots will be opened up in Oct. 2002, since the quota for this year has been filled.

Overall, the process usually takes a 6-7 months, of course this varies individually and level of motivation.

just my 2 cents.

Dave Shutter

March747...

Please don't take my word, my recruiters word, or anyone elses word for it on something like that, it's only gouge but several people have observed that SWO, for whatever reaosn, has been extremely competetive lately.

Talk to your recruiter first but the advice here (from everyone!) is to follow up on the info your given. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lead you in any direction.

magnum: I was Army for 2 yrs and 4 mths total. The age reg' this year gave me 4 yrs on the age max though, but normally I would have to have been commisioned this past Sept. Lucky me.

Dave

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 10/12/2001 20:43:27

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
EODdude.....oops...I mean EOD Dave, I've been flying a few times out there at Kitty Hawk Aviation on that nice uneven grass strip they have. I hope your instructor is genuine and that you won't be wasting your money.

Is that damn old dog still there with the stupid handkerchief around his neck? And does the owner still do his own maintenance on the gasoline powered C-172's and C-150's? Just curious.

--Steve (undisclosed location)

Dave Shutter

Steve! Glad your here and not out shooting 5 inchers or TLAM's or something...

About the PPL, how much do the different tests cost? If I remember correctly there's a written test, and oral and the flight test itself. If you had to guess on the costs down there, for an average plane, what do you think the damage would be? Don't get me wrong, getting the paper before Primary isn't my big goal, OCS is, but I'm just wondering.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.