• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Taking Leave During TBS?

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I know that you get about 2 weeks between OCC and TBS, but do you get to take any leave during the 6 months of TBS? My gf is pretty worried about not being able to see me for that length of time and I was wondering if theres anything I could tell her to make her feel more at ease. Could she possibly come visit me during that time?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
If you are in an actual training company (A-F), forget about it. The exception being Xmas and New Years basket leave (You will have approx 2 weeks off then). For the most part weekends will be off, and she would certainly be able to visit you during that time. You can expect to be available for all major holidays, except perhaps Easter.
If you are in Mike Company, you will most likely be able to take leave.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Tell her to come to the DC area and stay in a hotel, with friends or something for a week or two. You'll see her a few evenings and on the weekends. If she's the real deal, TBS shouldn't faze her. If it is a deal-breaker for her, you're better off with the deal being broken. Concur with the above. Except for holiday periods and legitimate emergencies, forget about taking leave during the 6 months of training time.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
2 weeks? I got 6 days off between ocs and tbs, and 2 of those were spent driving. Just forget about leave if it is only to see your girlfriend. You get the weekends off, but are restricted to a 300 mile travel radius unless you get an out of bounds pass (which is fairly easy to aquire if you submit 10 or more days in advance and you aren't going too far). She can come see you every weekend though if you want. But remember also that if you fail certain training events you will be doing remedial training on the weekend.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Im getting close to finishing up with Alpha. The only real chance we had for leave was 2 weeks over Christmas, but it wasnt basket leave with our company ... they forced all of us to take. You will get 96's over 4 day weekends and you can always request out of bounds on any weekend. You really have no time during the POI for leave. You are going to be very busy. She is going to have to understand that those 6 months are going to be about TBS and thats really it. Don't get too caught up on trying to see her. You might find yourself stressed out and broke. You will have most weekends to yourself, but you are going to want them to get your trash squared away, drink, and forget about TBS for a few days. Like phrogdriver said, if shes the real deal it wont be a problem. This will give her (and you) a taste of relationships with women while you are living with the "greedy mistress". Everything that was said above is right on. Good luck, Ive been doing this with my wife away in Washington state for almost 9 months now (IFS...), so ask any questions you got. Ill try to help. Good luck.

s/f

Malice 1

pilot
This scenario is the greatest: You buy a plane ticket for the weekend and get you out of bounds chit approved 3 weeks in advance. The thursday before you are planning on flying out of town, you have a land nav event, and you fail it by one box. You have to come in on saturday to redo the land nav event. Awsome.

My entire platoon says the TBS is the Marine corps way of teaching you how NOT to treat/train/lead your Marines.

UORBulldog

Can someone elaborate on this whole basket leave thing? looks like I'll be there for Alpha

Also, you mention being broke at TBS? I can't imagine that

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
Malice 1 said:
My entire platoon says the TBS is the Marine corps way of teaching you how NOT to treat/train/lead your Marines.

lol, if only a lot of others would start seeing it that way.

JTD

UORBulldog said:
Also, you mention being broke at TBS? I can't imagine that

Never eat dinner in the chow hall (alot of people do it because your sick of that place by the end of the day). Go out drinking in DC both weekend nights, and 3+ dollars a gallon for gas, it's not only easy to imagine it's easy to make a reality.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Basket leave is that which is not subtracted from your leave balance. They pretty much fill out all of the paperwor, but never submit it. Its a lot less work for the staff and admin folks. Some TBS companis get it, others do not. It all depends, but really has no impact on your break. Either way, you'll probably be forced to take it...

Taxman2A

War were declared.
jtd22 said:
Never eat dinner in the chow hall (alot of people do it because your sick of that place by the end of the day). Go out drinking in DC both weekend nights, and 3+ dollars a gallon for gas, it's not only easy to imagine it's easy to make a reality.

Don't forget paying off your uniforms, that sweet car you spent to much money on the day you got commissioned, and paying off old college expenses... yeah you can be broke at TBS.

KBayDog

^Don't forget the paychecks you have to blow in Q-Town to buy all kinds of high-speed, low-drag, whiz-bang field gear because you are absolutely convinced that the issued gear is not good enough to get you through a few nights in the Quantico Outback.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
I know this is an old thread to dig out, but I think my 10-year high school reunion is going to be held when I'd be at TBS. I'm going to guess that they are going to care even less about my reunion than I am?

RivrGuide

Admiral Hartman 4 Life
pilot
Is your ten year reunion on a Saturday? Otherwise you can pretty much forget about it unless you get lucky and it falls on a 96. Nuff Said?

The CO put it in perspective when he told our wives that TBS is one step short of deployment. i.e. - family time and fun come after the training schedule, which is pretty much continuous.

We have LT's who have not been able to get a base sticker for their car in three months, so that should emphasize how limited you will be for 'free time'.

Regardless, I am enjoying the hell out of this place.

S/F

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Gotcha. I really didn't want to hang out with those reunion people anyway. :icon_smil