• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45's in P-Cola?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
They trained TACAIR pilots in the alpha for several years. Why would it be any different?

That's a good point, I trained in the venerable T-45A myself. Then I came to the RAG and discovered this wonderful little thing called a velocity vector...

How the hell does a "synthetic radar" work anyway?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Chuck is going to use the MFD for some synthetic (i.e. fake, not APG style) radar stuff.

Supposidly the 39 is going away with this addition eventually. i got this from some NFO's just out of advanced and from one of the Pilots working on the '45 transition down in P'Cola. The radar will simulate ground mapping and eventually AA stuff, but the main push (as I was told) is getting the ground mapping. Saves on radar maintaining costs.

That would be pretty damn dumb, I thought there was a lot of value in being taught by NFO's in the T-39. A simulated radar ain't going to domuch to make it up either, how the heck are you supposed to run intercepts?

Maybe one of the NFO Inst's can chime in, I think we got one or two here.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
That's a good point, I trained in the venerable T-45A myself. Then I came to the RAG and discovered this wonderful little thing called a velocity vector...

How the hell does a "synthetic radar" work anyway?

We got the guts and idea from the Israelis. You have the GINA tell the 45 where it is, compares posit & altitude to a ONC/GNC/VFR, geographical data base database. The "I believe" box calculate what a brand X radar would be seeing if it were really there and then the box spits out the calculated radar return to be displayed on the MFD.

Sorta watered-down and basic, but you get the idea.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
That would be pretty damn dumb, I thought there was a lot of value in being taught by NFO's in the T-39. A simulated radar ain't going to domuch to make it up either, how the heck are you supposed to run intercepts?

Maybe one of the NFO Inst's can chime in, I think we got one or two here.

You have hit on the reason why the AF is not smitten with the idea and still mad at the Navy for letting the T-X fall by the wayside. AF wants the multi-place WSO trainer. Period. They're not keen on the T-45 only approach. I would bet the T-1 will still be in Sherman for the AF, if I were a betting man.

But what the hey, I like brunettes, he likes blondes, you like redheads. We all like women, just different means to the same end.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Inherent in the T-39/T-1 syllabus is NFOs teaching SNFOs. I definitely got alot out of flying the T-6 and the T-2. Interacting with just a pilot in the air is a good teaching tool seeing as how a NFO/WSO in a tactical jet, thats what a decent amount of your job is. However, since some of the tracom instructors come from platforms that are single seat, the experience of working with another guy isn't there. Not knocking the quality of their instruction, just pointing out that there's some insight a F-18F driver will have that a single seat guy won't have.

Having an NFO as an instructor is invaluable because its someone who does the job you're training to do. An NFO know how to be an NFO. Thats why he has two anchors on his wings. They can give some students things that a pilot can't.. mainly instruction on how to be a good NFO. Pilots can't do that as well b/c thats not what the Navy/AF/USMC trained them to do.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Besides, where are all us JO NFO's going to get a sweet shore flying tour outside of the FRS in 3-5 years anyway?

magnetfreezer

You have hit on the reason why the AF is not smitten with the idea and still mad at the Navy for letting the T-X fall by the wayside. AF wants the multi-place WSO trainer. Period. They're not keen on the T-45 only approach. I would bet the T-1 will still be in Sherman for the AF, if I were a betting man.

But what the hey, I like brunettes, he likes blondes, you like redheads. We all like women, just different means to the same end.

Had a brief for the AF folks here a couple months ago on the eventual conversion. Right now they are looking at moving to a T-6/T-1 syllabus and leaving the Navy to sort out the T-39/45 issues. The higher up AF brass were apparently very adamant about having INFOs/WSOs teaching a good portion of the curriculum instead of only IPs and canned the idea of using the 45 for AF studs when the -39 goes out.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
The last phase of SNFO training, where we flew the T-2's, was basically a FAM on TACAIR flying. We did forms, a L/L or two and some ACM (ATM) flights. We did not need any fancy systems for the basic flying that we did for those 12 flights, and the T-2 is very basic.

I always though it was ironic that SNFOs got the most gucci airplane to start (T-6 texan 2) and then slowly worked through older airplanes... (t-1, t-39, t-2). Nothing like training the finest NFOS in 1960s technology.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I always though it was ironic that SNFOs got the most gucci airplane to start (T-6 texan 2) and then slowly worked through older airplanes... (t-1, t-39, t-2). Nothing like training the finest NFOS in 1960s technology.

Rest assured that every snfo is well aware of that fact.

MasterBates

Like the Pilots get newer stuff. You got a clue how old the BAe HAWK airframe is? Or the 45A's avionics.

Helo and Prop advanced birds are both 1960s designs.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't believe the USAF has got this right, especially since they are so pilot centric. Getting rid of the mutli place NFO trainer (T-1/T-39) is a big mistake. That said, count yourself lucky the synthetic radar training will be done in the T-45. The Naval Aviation Enterprise document promulgated around 4 years ago planned on the T-6 doing that mission. Imagine the T-6 being the hottest ride you had before showing up to the Bug RAG.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What will NFO instructors do if all of the T-39 flights go away? Just give lectures? I know this is a ways off, and I'm not trying to flame the FOs (this time), but I'm just curious.
Sim City baby!! There is still time to reverse this colossal mistake. I propose a letter writing campaign and petition. Calling Masterbates. ;)

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
What will NFO instructors do if all of the T-39 flights go away? Just give lectures? I know this is a ways off, and I'm not trying to flame the FOs (this time), but I'm just curious.

Guess we'll just go to the club that much earlier...