• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45's in P-Cola?

hendogg311

Curious if anyone knows when they are going to start using the T-45C for NFO training? Also which part of the syllabus will it be used in?

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
Curious if anyone knows when they are going to start using the T-45C for NFO training? Also which part of the syllabus will it be used in?

Should be in the very near future. The Last Rocket (VT-86) Buckeye leaves in the Fall.

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
They have already started to train SNFO's on them. I saw them flying in P-cola before I left two weeks ago.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Were they Charlies, or Alphas? I heard a rumor that the old Alphas from K-rock were headed over there...

Though it's difficult to imagine how they would train tacair FOs in an Alpha.

ColdSteel

You can't spell lost without Lt.
They have already started to train SNFO's on them. I saw them flying in P-cola before I left two weeks ago.

No NFSs (thats what we are called now Naval Flight students) are flying in the T45s. The T2 pilots are going through the syllabus and getting qual'ed. VT-86 is fully transitioning to T45s Sept and replacing the T2.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Though it's difficult to imagine how they would train tacair FOs in an Alpha.

Uh, and what do you think they were doing with T-2's???

The last phase of SNFO training, where we flew the T-2's, was basically a FAM on TACAIR flying. We did forms, a L/L or two and some ACM (ATM) flights. We did not need any fancy systems for the basic flying that we did for those 12 flights, and the T-2 is very basic.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The last phase of SNFO training, where we flew the T-2's, was basically a FAM on TACAIR flying. We did forms....

So what is required of a SNFO during a form flight? "Well, there's lead...yup, hasn't moved..." Is it a nav drill while flying form on a route/LL?

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Hence my rhetorical question. Don't really understand the need for the synthetic radar, isn't that what the RAG is for?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So what is required of a SNFO during a form flight? "Well, there's lead...yup, hasn't moved..." Is it a nav drill while flying form on a route/LL?

Basically it is like a lot of pilot things for NFO's, know what the procedures and be smart about it when flying. The ACM part is the best part, basically the pilot acts as a SNFO activated autopilot, you tell him/her what to do during the fight. Pretty fun.

I think the point of the synthetic radar is to build on the basics. And I am not sure it is geared for SNFO's, there is a real radar in the T-39N.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Hence my rhetorical question. Don't really understand the need for the synthetic radar, isn't that what the RAG is for?

VT-86 is heavy on the radar nav. In the T-39, all but 2 of our low level flights incorporate radar navigation. (This was as of spring summer '07)

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
They trained TACAIR pilots in the alpha for several years. Why would it be any different?

The Chuck is going to use the MFD for some synthetic (i.e. fake, not APG style) radar stuff.

Supposidly the 39 is going away with this addition eventually. i got this from some NFO's just out of advanced and from one of the Pilots working on the '45 transition down in P'Cola. The radar will simulate ground mapping and eventually AA stuff, but the main push (as I was told) is getting the ground mapping. Saves on radar maintaining costs.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Because we do so much radar mapping in the Hornet. I can barely remember how to get the thing up.