• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45 Spin Video

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Makes you wonder if that's where Cirrus got the idea to put a chute on their aircraft. Good idea if you ask me.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
While at Vance I remember going from FL210 to 15000 through about 12 spins while my instructor calmly watched me fuck up my inputs...finally I was like "Maybe the stick is a little far aft" and BAM right out of the spin. The T-6 is easy to recover if you aren't an idiot...

During the debrief he said he would have only given me another 1000 feet and taken it...and that was the longest he had spun (FAIP) Awesome guy to fly with...

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I'd assume the chute just breaks the stall by helping to align the aircraft with the direction of flight, right? Is the chute cut away after the recovery?

2ndGen

Third times a charm
All I could think about is my Advanced Aerodynamics prof telling the class that spinning in a swept wing is very difficult and almost impossible to recover from.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Don't spin the 45. It don't like the upright spin, and turns it into an inverted spin IIRC.

I did a surprising amount of dumb shit in that jet, but I never spun it. Did scare the hell out of myself on a solo once though, and thought it was going to spin.

I always thought the only way to get an inverted spin was negative G's on the AC in an uncoordinated bad place? I was wondering while watching that video whether or not that was an inverted spin..

MasterBates

Oh, the 45 can go into inverted spins without a negative g maneuver. The post stall gyrations are "interesting" in that thing.

rrpilot

Great video a little more dramatic than when I did spin training in a Citabria. Is there any sim training for spins?, I've never heard of a civilian sim that could do that but I assume the Navy has more advanced sims.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The OFTs at Vance would simulate a spin. When the parental units came out for our Primary graduation (big deal on an AF base) I showed my dad how to spin the plane when he was flying the sim and I was standing next to it. I nearly puked...didn't realize how bad the visual effects screwed with you if you weren't sitting in the cockpit focusing on what to do.

JESSE131

Flopping Around in Corsairs and Hornets

We didn't intentionally spin either A-7s or F-18s, but we would do "departure training" that had you pull hard in a turn below corner velocity until the plane departed controlled flight. I actually did this in both machines inadvertently when performing hi g barrell rolls over the top. The A-7, with a 400 kt plus corner, would snap roll but right itself as soon as you let go of the controls. Sometimes it would get into an "auger" in which it looked like you were spinning but were doing lots of knots. Anti-spin controls only tightened it. We lost a number of guys that way until we figured out what was happening and initiated a departure syllabus.

The Hornet normally won't depart or spin, but I managed to ham hand a two-seater one day in a high g barrell roll over the top. The plane got into a gentle falling leaf mode after a kind of slow snap roll. Because the plane is fly-by-wire, the computer decided we were too slow to allow much control input, so we just sat there waiting for the airspeed to rise or 10000ft. After 12,000 ft of falling leaf we finally got airspeed rise - barely above our NATOPs-directed eject altitude. I decided not to try that again in the B model.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Great video a little more dramatic than when I did spin training in a Citabria. Is there any sim training for spins?, I've never heard of a civilian sim that could do that but I assume the Navy has more advanced sims.

You can kind of coax the -45 sim into a spin if you do it right, though I had no luck with it. As for the -34 (where you actually do spin training), you will only do it in the real airplane as the sim has no meaningful visuals of a spin. Don't worry, even the 34 is much more dramatic than a Citabria :)

zachary2777

Banned
The T-45 likes to spin inverted, then the engine likes to flame out so we don't do them on purpose. Normally just neutralizing the controls gets you out of OCF, but if you cross control it you can go into a spin. The sims are hard to spin, I couldn't do it; so if I do see a spin in this plane it will most likely be the real deal, which hopefully won't happen. On the other hand I thought spins were a lot of fun in the T-34 and looked forward to them.

BENDER

pilot
Makes you wonder if that's where Cirrus got the idea to put a chute on their aircraft. Good idea if you ask me.

I did hear that the Cirrus needed the chute to get certification because of its bad stall characteristic. Of course this was from a cessna salesman, so you never know.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot

The only approved method of recovering a Cirrus in a spin...
CAPS.............................PULL
(I think the instructors here have a pool going to see who will be first to yank the handle)

The Cirrus isn't bad in a stall- the split airfoil on the wing ensure aileron control through the buffet. That being said, it is meant to fly fast and is not a 172 stall machine. The spring-loaded controls don't give much feedback when you're slow.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can kind of coax the -45 sim into a spin if you do it right, though I had no luck with it.
I had an OCF sim down there where we managed to get it spinning with the flight path in a horizontal direction at like 80 knots. Beyond a certain point, I think the sim just says "You win. I have no idea what we're doing."