• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45 Spin Video

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
I really do need to digitize the videos I have from 2000 hours of Goshawk time... some real doozies..

Watched a kid on his last ACM solo try to come up to 230 to fight with no airspeed or ideas... bullseye nose up, tail slide, post stall gyrations... cockpit to cockpit crew coordination... no compressor stall or flame-out... neutral controls and throttle at idle solved the problem...

After a gazillion OCF instructional flights, I have the opinion that there is a reason they paint these jets Orange and White, great video though.

To really scare the bejesus out of folks we need some good carrier mishap videos... mine are all on VHS, any paddles out there from the digital age?

T-45 is a very forgiving jet and is HIGHLY resistant to upright and inverted spins.

While upright spins have been achieved in flight tests, they are unstable and tend to oscillate out of the spin. During departure and spin testing of the T-45, "no upright spins were achieved with rudder pedals centered and lateral and longitudinal stick neutralized". You have to hold in pro-spin inputs to spin in this aircraft upright and in fact aircraft is likely to recover from upright spin by just neutralizing controls and normally in less than one turn.

Stabilized inverted spins are possible and have been entered from pure vertical maneuvers (tail-slides). Reason the T-45 favors the inverted spin is due to rudder blow out within the 20 degree cone of vertical (i.e. Tail slide), and getting some kind of negative AOA (usually from hands off controls, vice keeping the nose tracking to horizon) and not enough leg pressure to forcibly center rudder pedals (which may be in excess of 100 lbs req'd) causing rudder blow-out as aircraft slides downward and introducing yaw. This causes the yaw and reason it tends to favor inverted vice upright (yaw and negative AOA). Rudder blow out or not having rudder pedal forcibly centered is in essence a pro-spin input.

There is no real hard data/statistics that says T-45 "favors” an inverted spin over upright. Aerodynamically, inverted and upright spins are similar in nature. It's just easier to accidently get into regime where inverted spin is likely and it just gets everyone's attention when an inverted spin happens because most are extremely unfamiliar with them and inverted spins are very disorienting. Primary reason for the disorientation is the negative G, and that yaw and roll are in opposite directions. Because we as pilots are more sensitive to roll than yaw (when was last time you could tell the 'ball' wasn't trimmed without having to look at turn needle indicator?), the tendency exists for you to analyze the spin in the direction of the roll vice the direction of yaw.

Like VACAPES and many more who have flown the hell out the T-45 and done their share of bending the jet around, stay away from tail slides (prohibited maneuver) and no worries. Even if you tail slide, center the rudder pedals and lateral/longitudinal stick and once again no worries.

Having typed all this, if this isn't proof to bring back the T-2 and spin/OCF syllabus then I can't find a better arguement :) [shamless love to all T-2 bubbas out there]

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
To really scare the bejesus out of folks we need some good carrier mishap videos... mine are all on VHS, any paddles out there from the digital age?

Carrier vids would be great... Already watched all of em on youtube... Only T-45 one I could find was the wing mowing down the yellow shirt.

Carrier vids would be great... Already watched all of em on youtube... Only T-45 one I could find was the wing mowing down the yellow shirt.

well lieu of recent incidents in Fleet (like one of the latest incidents), unless it is hud footage, don't think you want to be the guy caught with camera in cockpit.

MasterBates

I got my CQ hud tape with some "interesting" comments on ICS and the radio.

Anyone around here able to transfer 8mm to DVD?

I got my CQ hud tape with some "interesting" comments on ICS and the radio.

Anyone around here able to transfer 8mm to DVD?

Does ICS comm involve heavy breathing or words that begin with F and S? LOL. I know mine did ;)

MB, tranferring the video is actually simple. Find someone with 8mm camcorder...I know out dated technology but someone has to have one....me for instance. Then use movie maker software that comes with windows for a cheap fix or if you want to send money, other software out there. Also many of the squadrons (Legacy "C" squadrons as Rhino's are going to SSR devices) still use 8mm tapes...just see if you can pop into their briefing spaces and transfer it to laptop. When I return, I'd be more then willing to let you borrow my camcorder. :)

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Just get a capture device like this and plug the VCR into it. It shouldn't be too hard to track down an 8mm VCR, right?
After that it's on your computer and you can do anything with it.