• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45 Ejection Seat

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Brett327 said:
For those of you who are fleet-bound, remember this hallmark of shame: A 799
Brett

We were never allowed to use A799 to sign off on a gripe. Our CO said that A799 was insulting to his officers.

You mean they got rid of the green MAF forms and the beloved MAF board?

If you want more people you pad the hours on your SAF cards not the MAFs.

The OPNAV 4790 2A no longer exists?:D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JIMC5499 said:
We were never allowed to use A799 to sign off on a gripe. Our CO said that A799 was insulting to his officers.

You mean they got rid of the green MAF forms and the beloved MAF board?

If you want more people you pad the hours on your SAF cards not the MAFs.

The OPNAV 4790 2A no longer exists?:D
What a crock of sh!t. Unfortunately, that CO eliminated valuable training opportunities for his cadre of infallible JOs. There's no better way to learn the nitty gritty about your aircraft systems then when you're getting down and dirty with the maintainers about what does and does not constitute a legitimate gripe. As many of you priors know, maintainers and operators learn to work the gear in an entirely different way and by a whole separate set of pubs. A little cross-talk in that realm makes both groups smarter and improves the overall performance to the squadron team.

As for green MAFs, they started transitioning to the computer based NALCOMIS at the O level in the early to mid 90s, and SAF cards went out several years prior to that. Ahh, the good old days.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Crowbar said:
One of the avi SNCOs at an east coast squadron got a Navy Comm (possibly it was a NAM) for eliminating avi A799s for a certain length of time. Well no kidding, you can't A-799 something that has had a part ordered on it. So what was he having people do? Just order something, no matter what, on every MAF. UHF radio fails BIT? Don't recycle power, just order a new one. TACAN lost lock while sitting in the LZ? Order a new one! That way it was impossible for the MAF to get signed off with an "A" trans code. Unfortunately it never occurred to anybody what was really going on. Good job, killer. You got rid of A-799s for a couple of months. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars did you waste in the process? Yeah, quite a few I'm sure.

About two years ago, there was a HUGE backlog of hydralic pumps for all H-60 aircraft on the West Coast. No one could get new ones unless they were deployed, they came either from being in a higher FAD status or if they were already part of a PUK. It was getting so bad that birds were going down on the seawall which elimited training which prevented readiness for deployment. Finally, an investigation occured and they went to AIMD at NI. Apparently AIMD was saying the pumps weren't repairable and just chucking them. They asked the I-level guys to demonstrate how they were NonRFI-ing the gear and one couldn't even turn on/use/whatever the piece of gear they needed to start the process (it's been a while since this happened, so I don't remember all the details). Once they found out it was sheer stupidity, they fired a bunch of people at AIMD and pumps started flowing to (and in) the fleet again.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SNA question: What does A 799 translate to?

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Brett327 said:
As for green MAFs, they started transitioning to the computer based NALCOMIS at the O level in the early to mid 90s, and SAF cards went out several years prior to that. Ahh, the good old days.

Brett

That explains it. I got out in 1987. As far as the pilots getting to know the maintainers, we had several in our squadron who would come down to the shops and assist on maintaince. I don't mean just stand there and look over your shoulder, I mean actually help. We got a little more respect when a couple of them tried to completely fill a SH-3 main gear box with oil using a PON-6. They found out real fast why some Mechs had those big arms. I still don't know a better exercise than pumping one of those things.

KBayDog

Crowbar said:
Nittany-in layman's terms it means that there was never a problem-the user (aka pilot) doesn't know how to operate the system.

AH - No wonder I haven't heard of the A 799 form. It was replaced by the new DFO form (web-based, of course) a few years back.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
"SNA question: What does A 799 translate to?"

I was sure the response was gonna be something like "read it upside down and backwards." Heh.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Crowbar said:
Beautiful. When I first went to QA, our electrical shop brought over these gyros saying, "Repair not authorized" and wanting to send them to depot. Well, being a new QAR, I decided to look up the reference and see what it said. Holy ****, there was a whole chapter in the pub on how to test/fix them. "But, QA has always just let us BCM these things!"

Nittany-in layman's terms it means that there was never a problem-the user (aka pilot) doesn't know how to operate the system. "Y code" refers to the When Discovered code on the MAF, Y meaning it was found bad upon receipt from supply...translation AIMD/MALS sent out a bad piece of gear. That's why earlier I made a comment about Y code/A 799 battles.

Yes, the dreaded/"good to go" Y code. It sucked when you'd get a part like that on cruise, especially when you had no AIMD on a big deck near you. But in the new Cost-Wise Readiness world, it was somewhat satisfying because it meant we didn't have to pay for it.

terry345

As an S-2, or TS2A, US2B AE2 T-799 and U-799 MAF's filled up a file cabinet in our shop!
K-Ball. Two can birds in the hangar at all times.
This was after an inspection found all or our unathorized spares.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
That is awesome. I'll have to remember that one. Much better than the ghey "FSU RULES, GATORS SUCK" that someone put in....while I was flying over Tallahassee.

Ha! I flew that plane the other day. I was tempted to "Hot Carl" it, but I left it in.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I don't think that A799 gripes are such an insult when it properly applies. For instance, many avi gripes end up A799 because it's just spurious malfunctions (radar gripes sometimes, comm RTs, etc). It's insulting to pilots (rightfully so) is they gripe something like a flat tire that isn't flat. In that case, the pilot is an idiot. For instance I saw a "Radar bit 1" on a Night Attack Harrier (non-radar). Then again, I've seen a A799 on an engine fire light (multiple occurrances). Nobody has a patent on buffoonery.

scarfacekracker

Crowbar said:
Seems like the CDIs I 'grew up' around had this aversion to using anything other than 070 "broken".

I like to use 255 and 160 for the majority of the jobs I inspect. Becuase when you 11 A 799 a pilot, that is just going to make him write up a ton of stupid crap and start a battle that you are never going to win. Atleast give them a 11 C 160 to give them a feeling that some was actually wrong.