• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-34C NATOPs before Primary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Don't bother.

If you're the dude who memorizes it all before you get there, the Gods of Fate will make sure you go to Vance and fly the T-6.

Whoa...that's scary stuff...I don't even want to think about airplanes until primary if that's the case.:)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gents, it's just not that hard. There is no need to memorize EP's before it's time. Enjoy your off time and don't worry. If you have difficulty, studying before primary most likely won't make a difference.

Maybe they're just getting dumber, Bunk. ;)

(Note the proper use of the comma and capitalization of the proper noun.)

Rg9

pilot
I'm a brand new ENS about to start Primary and I was wondering if it is wise to study the T-34 NATOPs or other pubs before primary starts? If so, can someone send it to me? Forgive the ignorance.
Why not get an extra head start? :D

Ditto on all previous comments.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Maybe they're just getting dumber, Bunk. ;)

(Note the proper use of the comma and capitalization of the proper noun.)

It certainly seems that way sometimes. Maybe I'm just getting crankky in my old age :eek:

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Call me super-moto, but I haven't even started OCS yet and I have been reading through API pubs circa-1992 that I may or may not have obtained. Now, I haven't been hardcore STUDYING, but it's good bathroom material and if I pick up on one or two little new things a day - all the better right?

Rubiks06

pilot
I guess i just didnt have the motivation prior API. I didnt want to touch a book until they asked me to. Let alone memorize things i didnt need to know for months. Thats just me. I guess the standard advice given on all of these threads is: 1. Go to store buy beer. 2. Go to beach. 3. Drink beer. 4. Repeat. 5. If time and desire exists hit shamelessly on tourists. These are the only bold face items you need to know. For now.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Call me super-moto, but I haven't even started OCS yet and I have been reading through API pubs circa-1992 that I may or may not have obtained. Now, I haven't been hardcore STUDYING, but it's good bathroom material and if I pick up on one or two little new things a day - all the better right?

Not if you're learning the wrong #'s and material. Then you're just setting yourself up for failure.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Not if you're learning the wrong #'s and material. Then you're just setting yourself up for failure.

Rule #1 for super-moto outdated pubs reading - ignore specific #s or anything that could be subjective or changed. I know that rules out a TON of the information, but at least I get to look at the kind of material I'll be learning, and the structure behind how it's presented.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
but at least I get to look at the kind of material I would have been learning, and the structure behind how it was presented in 1992.

Fixed it for you. Granted, I haven't been there yet (I've got a month and a half left of stash time), but I would imagine studying that material isn't useful for much more than learning about the history of Naval aviation training.

The advice I've seen from most everyone else on AW has been basically, "Study the local beer, beaches, and bitches."

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Fixed it for you. Granted, I haven't been there yet (I've got a month and a half left of stash time), but I would imagine studying that material isn't useful for much more than learning about the history of Naval aviation training.

The advice I've seen from most everyone else on AW has been basically, "Study the local beer, beaches, and bitches."

I can't argue that. Maybe I'm not getting ahead at all, but I just can't wait to get started and it helps pass the time.

phrogpilot73

It's been said before, so I'll say it again... Yes, we know you're super-moto and wanna "get in the fight". HOWEVER, 5 years from now when you have 70 days of leave on the books and have been gone more than you're home - you're going to wish you had the down time you have now.

No matter how motivated you are, put the freakin' books down - and chase some skirt/drink some beer (unless you're afraid of women, which means you'll be a perfect candidate for jets). If you need something to read in the shitter - try Maxim.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Guys, this stuff is perishable. If you try and memorize it now, you're going to forget it again soon. Then you'll just have to learn it again. Now you've spent double the amount of time on this material. There's plenty of time to learn it when the time comes.

You shouldn't be spending your pool time going to the sim building trying to find out what a condition lever is ahead of time. You should be golfing, drinking, sleeping, or anything else. Don't be so eager to give the Navy it's pound of flesh early, they'll get it soon enough.

If you're looking for bathroom reading material, get a magazine subscription. Or read some aviation history books to keep the motivation up. May I recommend Chickenhawk.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Second luckiest pilot awesome book full of short stories. Perfect for bathroom reading material.

Status
Not open for further replies.