• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-34C Desktop Models

sundevil_av8r

pilot
I am currently in the market for a T-34C desktop model. I was looking at both Wings Aviation Supplies in Pensacola and squadrontoys.com. They both look very similar in quality but I was wondering if anyone had any feedback or comparison on the two companies products. Thanks in advance.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Butch at Wings is a good guy, he'll do right by you.

Squadron is a solid company and you'll get a good product, on-time.

Short answer: either way is good. Though if you're in or near P'cola, I'd go with Wings, as you can place your order with an actual human in-person.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I bought my EA-6B model from Squadron Toys and have been very please with the level of detail and quality of the model.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Should add, I got a T-34 model from Wings and my E-2 model from Squadron. Both are good.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
May I suggest checking out Island Enterprises? I have two of their desktop models and they are amazingly accurate. They also do interesting variations of tail flashes, smaller desktops (8") and briefing sticks:

Tailflashes are an Air Force tradition just making headway in Navy; I was at VFA-32 Hail/Farewell last month where departing aviators got their tail flash with signatures on it...pretty cool!

211_1_.jpg

643_1_.jpg

510_1_.jpg

Great for flight planning :0

177_1_.jpg

And then there is custom order option

216_1_.jpg

Note: they are traditionally Air Force Centric, but moving into Navy/Marine aircraft

sundevil_av8r

pilot
Should add, I got a T-34 model from Wings and my E-2 model from Squadron. Both are good.

do you happen to have a picture of your T-34C model? the one on the Wings website is very small and pixelated. also, do the wood bases from the two companies match? (with regards to stain, not so much shape) since i am going to be buying several of them down the road, i would like for them to match if possible. thanks again everyone.

Heloanjin

pilot
Wings offers miniture models, which I found more apealing than the regular size model. With it on my desktop I have room to work. Not as much detail as the larger model, but still very nice.

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
My $0.02 on the wooden desktop T-34's

I see that this thread is old, but I wanted to add some things.

I had noticed that when I was in Wings last that there were two obviously different T-34C's on display. When I asked the owner about the differences, he informed me that the T-34 that appeared to be more accurate and more detailed no longer produces it (which is the one I wanted). He still offers a T-34C desktop model and can have it personalized with your solo markings in a 1 day turn around. However, In comparing the Squadron Model's and the one that he is selling now, you can see a noticable difference in things, such as the detailed antennas, and to me the tail does not look right. I'm nit-picky on things, but if you are not, you can have your T-34 the next day at Wings.

If you are hanging around Whiting, Copper 'Possum Antiques offers what appears to be the Squadron Toys version on the T-34, and you can get one personalized up for about the same price as the Wings one with a Squadron base. You end up saving $50 off the Squadron website's $245 quote and 3 month turn-around time on it.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
I think the best deal going is to catch your particular aircraft when Squadrontoys does their aircraft of the month. For instance, we did a group order of T-6s at Vance AFB during the aircraft of the month sale and the base price was just 99 bucks and a little more for the personalization. I think mine ended up being $135. I sent lots of digital pics of the tail flash and squadron logos and they got it right. I kept checking the website and got lucky later when they had a surplus HT-8 TH-57 for $99.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I think the best deal going is to catch your particular aircraft when Squadrontoys does their aircraft of the month. For instance, we did a group order of T-6s at Vance AFB during the aircraft of the month sale and the base price was just 99 bucks and a little more for the personalization. I think mine ended up being $135. I sent lots of digital pics of the tail flash and squadron logos and they got it right. I kept checking the website and got lucky later when they had a surplus HT-8 TH-57 for $99.

I wonder if they would do a T-6 Bravo? (Or at least paint the Alpha orange and white?) That looks like a pretty good Christmas present if I can find it in the right color.......

FlyinRock

Another option is AimHigherJets.com. Jim Gilmore has done a good job in making models with attention to detail. Museum quality in my opinion. Prices are not out of line with the quality. Just have to go take a look.