• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO to IW/Intel

cjsmyly

I am currently preparing my package for the SWO board. I am a criminal Justice major graduating in may. My first choice would be Intel but I am right below the GPA requirement. I have kept a 3.5 the last 2 years, but my very poor grades my first 2 years are holding me back. While I don’t mind the idea of SWO, I am really interested in the IW community and would like to work for the DOD/DOJ once I am out. I see conflicting information online about how easy it is to lateral transfer from SWO to Intel. I know you can gain some experience in the field while being a SWO after your first few sea tours. Any information on transferring communities would be appreciated.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I am currently preparing my package for the SWO board. I am a criminal Justice major graduating in may. My first choice would be Intel but I am right below the GPA requirement. I have kept a 3.5 the last 2 years, but my very poor grades my first 2 years are holding me back. While I don’t mind the idea of SWO, I am really interested in the IW community and would like to work for the DOD/DOJ once I am out. I see conflicting information online about how easy it is to lateral transfer from SWO to Intel. I know you can gain some experience in the field while being a SWO after your first few sea tours. Any information on transferring communities would be appreciated.

The lateral transfer process is not a guarantee and you have to be (1) released by the parent community and (2) selected / approved by the incoming community, i.e. the one/s you’re applying for. For SWO, you typically have to have your SWO pin/qualification and within timing so your billet isn’t gapped too long. Lots of factors go into 1 and 2 that are both inside your control (your performance, qualifications and other items going into the lat x fer package) and out (manning / community health and quotas / availability). The SWO community has every right to deny you attempting a lateral transfer and it’s happened.

I wouldn’t apply for SWO if that’s to simply get your foot in the door in an attempt to switch Intel. Many people successfully lateral transfer and many don’t. I would only pursue SWO if you’re content with serving in that community for whatever duration- assuming Intel doesn’t work out.

You’re always going to get contrary information because YMMV.

cjsmyly

Like what you said, the lateral transfer process is not a guarantee and you have to be (1) released by the parent community and (2) selected / approved by the incoming community, i.e. the one/s you’re applying for. For SWO, you typically have to have your SWO pin/qualification and within timing so your billet isn’t gapped too long. Lots of factors go into 1 and 2 that are both inside your control (your performance, qualifications and other items going into the lat x fer package) and out (manning / community health and quotas / availability). The SWO community has every right to deny you attempting a lateral transfer and it’s happened.

I wouldn’t apply for SWO if that’s to simply get your foot in the door in an attempt to switch Intel. Many people successfully lateral transfer and many don’t. I would only pursue SWO if you’re content with serving in that community for whatever duration- assuming Intel doesn’t work out.
I am for sure fine with serving my entire duration in as SWO. Especially since I can gain Intel experience in the latter part of my SWO career and even get my masters. I appreciate the info!

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@FormerRecruitingGuru hit it on the head. Lateral transfer is essentially a crapshoot. However, should the stars align for you down the road, here’s the official website with all of the governing instructions. https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Career-Management/Boards/Administrative/Transfer-Redesignation/
The board meets twice a year, and you can find info on the current transfer quotas as well as community specific transfer requirements by going here and reviewing the letter of instruction for the next board: https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Career-Management/Boards/Administrative/Transfer-Redesignation/Status/

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Do you have the option of applying for a SWO-IW or SWO-Intel option contract? This would mean you do your initial 2 sea tours as a SWO and then are automatically redesignated into one of the Restricted Line communities. This is a standard thing for Academy and NROTC bubbas but I don't know if they offer it for OCS. If you have the option, put that down as your backup.

If not, don't go apply for a community you don't want to serve in. Keep pushing for the ones you do. I have no idea how you look on paper as a candidate but being a SWO is a hard life and even harder if your heart isn't fully in it.

exNavyOffRec

Do you have the option of applying for a SWO-IW or SWO-Intel option contract? This would mean you do your initial 2 sea tours as a SWO and then are automatically redesignated into one of the Restricted Line communities. This is a standard thing for Academy and NROTC bubbas but I don't know if they offer it for OCS. If you have the option, put that down as your backup.

If not, don't go apply for a community you don't want to serve in. Keep pushing for the ones you do. I have no idea how you look on paper as a candidate but being a SWO is a hard life and even harder if your heart isn't fully in it.
SWO-Intel for OCS took like 2 people and then they shut it down, SWO-IW has now also stopped having OCS quotas, SWO-IP is still listed but has had no quota for 2 FY's

snake020

Contributor
The comments above are spot on for lateral transfer - don't count on it. You may get lucky and have an oversupply in your losing community and demand in the community you want to transfer to, or not.

I initially wanted to transfer to CWO which had slots, but my parent community wouldn't release me. A couple years later when the OCM of my parent community gave me a release, the CWO community was then full and wouldn't accept me.

I eventually did transfer to IP, but it took nine years of trying. You could get luckier and get it first try, but beware of my story.

cjsmyly

I
The comments above are spot on for lateral transfer - don't count on it. You may get lucky and have an oversupply in your losing community and demand in the community you want to transfer to, or not.

I initially wanted to transfer to CWO which had slots, but my parent community wouldn't release me. A couple years later when the OCM of my parent community gave me a release, the CWO community was then full and wouldn't accept me.

I eventually did transfer to IP, but it took nine years of trying. You could get luckier and get it first try, but beware of my

I eventually did transfer to IP, but it took nine years of trying. You could get luckier and get it first try, but beware of my story.
I appreciate your insight. I know it’s not guaranteed, but since I will have no problem being a SWO if things don’t go my way I think it’s alright.

cjsmyly

I know it’s a long ways away but say I cannot transfer to Intel from SWO. Are there any relevant options a SWO can do after their sea tours that translate in the civilian IW community besides getting a masters?

FormerRecruitingGuru

I know it’s a long ways away but say I cannot transfer to Intel from SWO. Are there any relevant options a SWO can do after their sea tours that translate in the civilian IW community besides getting a masters?

As a first tour SWO you really don’t have much say, if any in terms of what you’ll be doing. Your job, quite frankly, is to learn how to manage a division and of course earn your SWO pin/qualification.

The best way to make yourself a contender for a lateral transfer during your first tour is to complete your SWO qual/pin as soon as possible and standing out against your peers though observed fitness reports.

You may have some “involvement” with Intel during your second tour but it’s not really until you’re up for shore duty (after your second divo tour) that will open up some opportunities to work / network with Intel officers. I’ve seen SWOs take orders to work at Intel centric commands. Similarly this will give you time to work on a masters and other qualifications desired by the Intel community.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Depends. Are you hoping to stay in the Navy for a full 20 or get out after your DIVO rides? If you want to do a full 20, then branching into the SWO Acquisitions Professional community is a great way to do that as you will open up a wide array of options for working on the acquisitions side of the IW world. The best way to do that is to get a technical masters at NPS and then work with the OCM and detailers after your first DH ride to go do acquisitions things at a warfare center or at a Fleet staff. If you're looking to get out then follow the advice below:

As a first tour SWO you really don’t have much say, if any in terms of what you’ll be doing. Your job, quite frankly, is to learn how to manage a division and of course earn your SWO pin/qualification.

The best way to make yourself a contender for a lateral transfer during your first tour is to complete your SWO qual/pin as soon as possible and standing out against your peers though observed fitness reports.

You may have some “involvement” with Intel during your second tour but it’s not really until you’re up for shore duty (after your second divo tour) that will open up some opportunities to work / network with Intel officers. I’ve seen SWOs take orders to work at Intel centric commands. Similarly this will give you time to work on a masters and other qualifications desired by the Intel community.
To maximize your chances of going civilian intel community, find a tour working at DIA, the Pentagon, a Fleet Staff, or a Joint Staff. This will expose you to multiple different Navy IW types as well as those in other services and agencies. This will provide the broadest network possible. I would also start looking into developing language skills and have those added to your service record. Your criminal justice degree just isn't the right degree for working in the intel community. You need either technical acumen (Read STEM degrees and experience working on particular systems) or specific knowledge of certain parts areas of the world and cultures.

A third option is to parlay your Navy experience into an agent position with NCIS. They have Cybersecurity, CounterIntel, and Anti-Terrorism divisions that would likely be right up your alley. If you end up in and ATFP job at any point in your SWO career, you will likely end up working with NCIS to some degree and will have contacts within the agency from there. Great way to get your foot in the door.

FormerRecruitingGuru

To maximize your chances of going civilian intel community, find a tour working at DIA, the Pentagon, a Fleet Staff, or a Joint Staff. This will expose you to multiple different Navy IW types as well as those in other services and agencies. This will provide the broadest network possible. I would also start looking into developing language skills and have those added to your service record. Your criminal justice degree just isn't the right degree for working in the intel community. You need either technical acumen (Read STEM degrees and experience working on particular systems) or specific knowledge of certain parts areas of the world and cultures.

A third option is to parlay your Navy experience into an agent position with NCIS. They have Cybersecurity, CounterIntel, and Anti-Terrorism divisions that would likely be right up your alley. If you end up in and ATFP job at any point in your SWO career, you will likely end up working with NCIS to some degree and will have contacts within the agency from there. Great way to get your foot in the door.

I've seen SWOs take orders to ONI (Officer of Naval Intelligence) as well... that's probably as good as it gets in terms of networking and getting experience.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I've seen SWOs take orders to ONI (Officer of Naval Intelligence) as well... that's probably as good as it gets in terms of networking and getting experience.
Hard to get those jobs, but definitely a good choice. The dudes and dudettes I usually saw get them were ASWOs or had some sort of ASW stink on them.

exNavyOffRec

Good point, a friend of mine went who was in the CG went from enlisted as a BM to warrant to CGIS then to USPSIS. He seems to really enjoy his job.

cjsmyly

Depends. Are you hoping to stay in the Navy for a full 20 or get out after your DIVO rides? If you want to do a full 20, then branching into the SWO Acquisitions Professional community is a great way to do that as you will open up a wide array of options for working on the acquisitions side of the IW world. The best way to do that is to get a technical masters at NPS and then work with the OCM and detailers after your first DH ride to go do acquisitions things at a warfare center or at a Fleet staff. If you're looking to get out then follow the advice below:

Thank you to both of you. That answers my question and is very informative.