• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Sweater

Is it retarded for a SNA to wear a SWO sweater?

• Yes

Votes: 58 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Over there, the world is very relaxed. Which is why this individual might have worked the COJONES to ask that question. The crew would typically brief the evening/night before in civies at the hotel lobby/seating area. The only thing briefed the day of the flight was the NATOPS. Makes for an easy day.

I've instructed at Las Cruces and at the time, it wasn't that common, that's why I ask. It happened (I think I did it at some point), just not every day.

Most recent VT-27/28 Det, in February/March. It was customary to brief night prior (BNP showed up on the published sched), until that, a gear-up pass, and a few other things related to crew day violations led the second-half OIC to change that practice. The crew day was the biggest stated reason, but there seemed to be a theme of cleaning things up and making things more like they would be in Corpus.

Probably not a bad thing. The reaction of the TW-5 IPs (myself included) that were out there helping a few years ago was that things were a little "loose" in the Stan department. To be fair, that was one det several years ago, but it seemed like that's how they operated all the time out there. The TW-5 maintenance guys had the same reaction towards the Corpus maintenance.

nukon

pilot
On a side note, what is your guys' take on a Reefer at API? Or after?

ReeferMadnessMusical-Poster.jpg

All those in favor say aye..

Renegade One

None
On a side note, what is your guys' take on a Reefer at API? Or after?
Reefers and Bridge Coats are the only way to go when the ambient temps demand. I think the gray uniform gloves and white neck scarves are recommended for the complete ensemble.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Reefers and Bridge Coats are the only way to go when the ambient temps demand. I think the gray uniform gloves and white neck scarves are recommended for the complete ensemble.
I wore a Bridge Coat all the time on TR when I had to stand OOD In Port in cold weather. It was that or freeze my ass off as it was the only thing I could wear with SDBs.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wore a Bridge Coat all the time on TR when I had to stand OOD In Port in cold weather. It was that or freeze my ass off as it was the only thing I could wear with SDBs.

Me too. In Port OOD from balls to 0400 with SDBs and bridge coat. Same boat too.

KBayDog

BigIron said:
Me too. In Port OOD from balls to 0400 with SDBs and bridge coat. Same boat too.

KBay's Common Sense Solution: Wear a functional, vice "traditional," uniform when standing your watches.

(But, since we're dealing with the Department of the Navy, I'll just take my common sense elsewhere...)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Something I never understood about SWOs. QD watch is a force protection thing, so why the hell would you be in a dress uniform for it? OK, on those days you're expecting a VIP or something I get it, but on a day to day basis, retarded.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
(But, since we're dealing with the Department of the Navy, I'll just take my common sense elsewhere...)

C'mon Kbay. Capital Warship. This is the same ship that we feared we would be painting white in honor of the Great White Fleet Anniversary. I shit you not, there was talk of it.

Take your common sense elsewhere......

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Something I never understood about SWOs. QD watch is a force protection thing, so why the hell would you be in a dress uniform for it? OK, on those days you're expecting a VIP or something I get it, but on a day to day basis, retarded.

In Port OOD stands at the brow (usually officer brow) on a carrier and runs the pier and ship routine while moored. We (myself and my messengers of the watches) didn't have side arms but we had a small militia roving about armed to the teeth in case of buffoonery.

OCONUS is another picture entirely - especially anchored and with liberty boats, etc.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
C'mon Kbay. Capital Warship. This is the same ship that we feared we would be painting white in honor of the Great White Fleet Anniversary. I shit you not, there was talk of it.
Until someone did the math on the cost of the paint? Both colors.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Until someone did the math on the cost of the paint? Both colors.
I would imagine the ship's First Lt. and his deck apes had a s**t hemorrhage when they got wind of two complete external paint proposals!:eek:
BzB