• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
A little late to the party, but here are my stats.

GPA: 3.1 - BA
GPA: 2.7 - JD
GPA: 3.2 - MBA
OAR: 58
LOR: Navy O-3, Law School Professor, Former Boss, Former Colleagues
Fluff: Peace Corps, Fluent Spanish, 4 years overseas living

Applied to Intel boards on 3/3/21, as well.

Any thoughts as to my competitiveness? My OR said my scores, education, and experience gave me a good shot, but with lowered quotas, I'm a touch anxious.

Last edited:
Any thoughts as to my competitiveness? My OR said my scores, education, and experience gave me a good shot, but with lowered quotas, I'm a touch anxious.

I wish I could tell you but I have been wondering the same about my own stats

GPA: 3.88
Degree: CJ with Counterterrorism/Homeland Security focus
Evals: EP EP MP MP (went from EP to MP transferring to new command)
LOR: O6 O5 O5
Active Duty: 8 years
Have Valid TS clearance and SCI eligibility

I'm an ET so I'm already familiar and comfortable with navigation and communications systems through virtue of that. Hopefully that counts for something

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
I wish I could tell you but I have been wondering the same about my own stats

I feel the former military experience counts for something. For myself, the only thing I feel particularly strong on is my OAR. Took it on 24 hours notice, so getting a 58 was nice.

Hoping the rest of my profile helps fill out the profile a bit.

xjoellemae

ENS - SWO
A little late to the party, but here are my stats.

GPA: 3.1 - BA
GPA: 2.7 - JD
GPA: 3.2 - MBA
LOR: Navy O-3, Law School Professor, Former Boss, Former Colleagues
Fluff: Peace Corps, Fluent Spanish, 4 years overseas living

Applied to Intel boards on 3/3/21, as well.

Do you know what your overall, cumulative GPA is?

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Well you have your masters and your juris doctorate, which sounds absolutely huge from where I sit.

Your degree fits in perfectly with natsec directives, though. Your education is tailored to being an officer. From my part, without knowing you, I'd say you're a strong candidate.

NevarYalnal

That... seems kinda silly.
well when the board is looking at hundreds of applications the day they convene they're probably just going to take the average of the GPAs anyway if multiple ones were provided when they rack and stack so this is just removing some steps in the process.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
That... seems kinda silly.
Maybe, maybe not. Here's an example of why they might do it that way,

The USAF will use a graduating GPA, so if you did 90 hours at one college with a 1.5 GPA then transferred to a new college and finished your degree with the required 30 hours with a 4.0, you get to put 4.0 on your application. Fair?

That 4.0 doesn't paint the whole picture. A cumulative GPA across all coursework is really the most fair way to show how you compare to others.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Maybe, maybe not. Here's an example of why they might do it that way,

The USAF will use a graduating GPA, so if you did 90 hours at one college with a 1.5 GPA then transferred to a new college and finished your degree with the required 30 hours with a 4.0, you get to put 4.0 on your application. Fair?

That 4.0 doesn't paint the whole picture. A cumulative GPA across all coursework is really the most fair way to show how you compare to others.

I can understand the justification for averaging the GPA in that instance as the 1.5 and 4.0 are on the same degree. It seems silly to average across undergraduate and (multiple) graduate degrees. The programs aren't even tangentially related.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I can understand the justification for averaging the GPA in that instance as the 1.5 and 4.0 are on the same degree. It seems silly to average across undergraduate and (multiple) graduate degrees. The programs aren't even tangentially related.
True, that's just the nature of the beast with GPA on a Navy application. Don't get me wrong, your degrees will hold weight at the board, but they're going to calculate a cumulative GPA from what you bring to the table.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
True, that's just the nature of the beast with GPA on a Navy application. Don't get me wrong, your degrees will hold weight at the board, but they're going to calculate a cumulative GPA from what you bring to the table.

Here's to hoping my lower GPA won't hurt me. At the very least, my professional experience is strong.