• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO BOARD 17AUG20

SeaShine

Contributor
Does prior enlistment hold a lot of weight?
From what I’ve seen, it does. Not too much though. On one hand, civilians are lucrative because they’re usually young and can be pruned for command. Prior enlisted on the other hand, have tons of experience. They know what they’re getting into when they select SWO. They usually have their ESWS, and other huge shipboard quals that will make their transition easier. Unfortunately, we tend to be older by the time we apply, and set in our ways. I feel that the board needs to examine the whole person, to determine if the individual can achieve the ultimate goal of commanding at sea.

n0rthstar

By all accounts. When you do the math on how much time they actually spend on any individual applications on a board that meets for one day (~300 applicants with ~1 hr break), it comes down to virtually nothing.

SeaShine

Contributor
By all accounts. When you do the math on how much time they actually spend on any individual applications on a board that meets for one day (~300 applicants with ~1 hr break), it comes down to virtually nothing.
And that’s the unfortunate bit. It takes us years of work to get these packages together. We should not be grouped into broad categories, such as GPA to weed out weaker packages. Time should be made to give each applicant a good look over. I’d rather work with someone that has a crap GPA and great leadership experience, than someone with a 4.0 that can’t work with people. The process is weird.

exNavyOffRec

Nobody knew. I remember distinctly seeing a person with a 2.7 legal studies degree and something like a 42 OAR that was picked up - that was seared into my brain for all time. No disrespect intended to the candidate, mind, it just really clearly illustrated the futility of trying to understand why decisions were made. We just can't know.
The one thing that isn't taken into account are waivers some boards are very hard on people with waivers, others are not, and there are always those odd selections or non-selections, for every selection that is low GPA there are probably 30 (random number I picked) that are completely normal.

I have chatted with a few on here over the years that had multiple waiver that were never picked up and they had outstanding GPA's or ASTB scores, many of the comments were "if he didn't make it I have no chance" or "what is the board looking for", but the general population here doesn't know the entire story.

exNavyOffRec

From what I’ve seen, it does. Not too much though. On one hand, civilians are lucrative because they’re usually young and can be pruned for command. Prior enlisted on the other hand, have tons of experience. They know what they’re getting into when they select SWO. They usually have their ESWS, and other huge shipboard quals that will make their transition easier. Unfortunately, we tend to be older by the time we apply, and set in our ways. I feel that the board needs to examine the whole person, to determine if the individual can achieve the ultimate goal of commanding at sea.

IWC used to put A LOT of weight on prior service in the IWC field, so much so that anyone that didn't have it or wasn't prior was a longshot, then that community swung the other way and those prior guys weren't getting picked at all, now they seem to be more looking at the best qualified like the other boards.

EmmaG

So, at this point since no one has posted getting an official prorec, are we safe to assume that today is not the day?